When did JW,s stop considering the nation of Israel Gods chosen people?

by moomanchu 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• moomanchu
  • corproal
    corproal

That's a very good question.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

I believe it was when Israel was disbanded as a nation in 70 ce. Blondie or someone will know for sure.

Dismembered

• M.J.
    M.J.

Kind of vague:

w58 3/1 p. 148 How Does Israel Stand with God? ***

FLESHLY

ISRAEL CAST OFF

When the nation of Israel failed to accept the final opportunity that God gave it to gain his approval and become a kingdom of priests, he rejected it. No longer could Israelites claim favor as God’s chosen people. They had failed to keep the national agreement made at Mount Sinai. They had failed to maintain undefiled worship of God, but permitted human traditions and human philosophy to corrupt it. They failed to receive the One whom God had promised to send, but rejected him for Caesar and instigated his violent death. For these reasons they were cut off from being God’s holy nation. Their material house of worship was abandoned by God, just as Jesus said:

"Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the killer of the prophets and stoner of those sent forth to her,—how often I wanted to gather your children together, the way a hen gathers her chicks together under her wings! But you people did not want it. Look! your house is abandoned to you."—Matt. 23:37, 38.

Proof of this abandonment came with the destruction of Jerusalem A.D. 70, at which time the temple was destroyed for the last time. No longer could Jehovah’s worship be carried on at the place he had chosen and in the manner specified in the law covenant. A.D. 136 the Roman emperor Hadrian dedicated a temple to Jupiter Capitolinus on the temple site, and then A.D. 691 ‘Abd-al-Malik built a Mohammedan mosque on the spot. This mosque, the Dome of the Rock, is still standing there.

• sir82
    sir82

I'm guessing, you mean in the modern history of JWs, when did they stop thinking Jews were still somewhat in God's favor?

Didn't Russell teach that literal Israel would be restored? The board's various anti-semitic, new-world-order, lizard-being conspiracy theorists are wont to call him a Zionist, among other things.

Then there is the infamous 1934 Yearbook which contains Rutherford's scathing diatribe against the Jews.

So it seems like it was some time between 1916 and 1934. One of the board's more able researchers can probably point you to the exact year and/or publication that came right out with condemnation of Jews.

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

For some reason I remember sitting at a book study and hearing it was in the 1900's, and the reason that they stopped believing this was because Israel was using a military and not just trusting in Jehovah.

??

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

I believe it was during Rutherford's reign in the 1930s when he confiscated the scripture that was written about the Israelites and applied it to the JWs.

Isaiah 43:10

You are my witnesses," declares the LORD, "and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Definately not the 1900s, because Russell was a Zionist.

• z
    z
    Definately not the 1900s, because Russell was a Zionist.

Ha???????????

A Definition of Zionism

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zionism, the national movement for the return of the Jewish people to their homeland and the resumption of Jewish sovereignty in the Land of Israel, advocated, from its inception, tangible as well as spiritual aims. Jews of all persuasions, left and right, religious and secular, joined to form the Zionist movement and worked together toward these goals. Disagreements led to rifts, but ultimately, the common goal of a Jewish state in its ancient homeland was attained. The term "Zionism" was coined in 1890

Z

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

I thought that JWs were of the belief that once Christ died that the curtain was torn and the nation of Israel was no longer the favored nation. That whole proselyte thing. But then again, I have been out a long time, so I may be way off base.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit