Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials"

by Fe2O3Girl 5 Replies latest social entertainment

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

My friend gave me the "His Dark Materials" trilogy to read during my maternity leave. I thoroughly enjoyed them, was completely hooked, and some bits made me cry (which may have been attributable to my late pregnancy emotional hormonal state).

The finale of The Amber Spyglass gives a really interesting slant on theology as we know it.

Some Christians hate these books..........

If you enjoyed "The Da Vinci Code", I wouldn't bother trying to read them though!

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I've read the first two but not the last and I wasn't pregnant whilst reading and I thought parts very touching too. I grew quite attached to one of the bears as I remember!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I have all three books of Pullman's Dark Material Triolgy. I've read the first two and am working on the third. My 8 year old daughter has read all three and continues to read them over and over (she does the same thing with Harry Potter - she read the latest book before I did and has read all of the books in the series over and over)...did I tell you she's only 8?

We both loved the books.

Josie

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Wow Josie - your little girl is a clever one! Only 8 - I think I would like her!

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

I thought that "His Dark Materials" was much.....darker than Harry Potter, but maybe younger readers would not see it as deeply. Anyway, it is always good to hear of youngsters being avid readers. Reading and comprehension is the key to learning everything.

It was the passage where Lyra's party find the boy who has been separated from his demon that really got to me. I'm getting teary thinking about it.......

• greven
    greven

I read the both the trilogy and the Da Vinci code as well.

I enjoyed them all. The darkmaterials is an interesting page turner with an funny theology, but I found that at the end things didn't match up quite as good as I hoped for. For instance the explanation for the existence of the Specters seems wildly unconvincing. Also there is this superknife called godslayer or something that can cut through dimensions/alternate worlds. But in the end they kill Metatron bare handed, besides the gods and angels are such fragile beings so why a special blade to kill them?

The seduction role of that female scientist was disappointing too. Still I enjoyed the books... just very unsatisfied by how the story wrapped-up.

Greven

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit