Experiences: How you know it ain't the 'truth'

by LDH 40 Replies latest jw friends

• LDH1
    LDH1

Here's one I posted on another thread, but in case you missed it...

(Note the use of Norm's "Elusive Brother Some")

My sister da'd herself about 5 years ago over gambling. The local elders were intent on prying into her personal business. Why do I say personal? Because she isn't married and has no kids, and gave more than her share at the hall.

Well they didn't like it, because she was a high stakes gambler that was her job and she would show up at the hall dripping in gems and shit, and most of the elder body except my father lived in a double wide. One of the elders got so mad he had to leave the room, after she told him one night's take equalled his annual salary. (HE ASKED.)

So you can see this caused problems. They formed SEVERAL judicial committees, and my sister was nice enough to tolerate them all.

The last straw? She told them, she was more than willing to stop gambling and just say she would wait on Jehovah for refinement. Of course, she had done all of her own research and was able to stupify them by asking them to draw comparisons between stock market and gambling--how did they differ?

Anyhow, the elder body told her they wanted to hear her say the words "I think gambling is wrong." and she refused to .... So they gave her 7 day notice of DF, and she wrote out a DA letter.

PS First this went all the way to the DO who recommended they stop prying but they claimed 'some' in the cong. were being stumbled by seeing a young woman dripping in cash with no job.

Of course, the only ones who saw her contribution checks were the elders, and although they cashed them happily still had the balls to question 'Where was she getting her money?' When they found out, they never offered to return any of it.

Elder Schmelder.

Lisa

• Aintthatcute
    Aintthatcute

First of all: I am new and have been lurking for about 2 weeks. Whoow! Glad I got that out of the way.

Something that really bothers me is: When they say that the GB all the way down, Elders, and Ministerial servents are "Appointed" by Jehovah, and are deserving of "Double Honor". Okay, i've read this in the Bible, but her's my story:

This guy I know who married one of my wife's childhood frieds was very well known in our circuit. He had many privileges, and after getting married, he was appointed a Ministerial servent. Well, one day his wife moves back in with her parents. (Naturally raising the enquiring eye-brows of her childhood congregation.) Her parents, later revealed that this guy had been with a women before he had married their daughter, and gaining privileges too. (You don't ask questions with topics like these, you just listen.) Now, he had been in the "Truth" from a young age, so, you could say he knew the consequences. My question is this:

"Why did Jehovah appoint him as a Ministerial servant?" Dosen't this go against all that the WT has taught people about Jehovah, the Bible, and Jehovah's ways?

I need answers to this. I have a few more, but will post later if that is OK?
    ATC

• Budda Belly
    Budda Belly

Outside of the Walkill Farms is a small town, I mean small.
    One night I walked over to its local pub to check out the greener
    grass on the otherside. When I walked in the place, they greated me
    with more respect than my fellow Brothers.
    They served me drinks ( I was underage ) and fed me well.
    After a few more visits, I felt like a local. I would walk
    to this pub which was about 2 miles from the farm and it is
    than that I realized the "truth" was a joke. I still miss those
    walks in the countryside.

Another thing that awakened my "gutfelling" was how the
    Brothers never smiled and apeared to be zombies all the time.

Bethel seemed to attract losers and I did not want to be around
    losers, so I walked after 8 months.

• chester
    chester

There are so many ways that I know "it ain't the truth".

The big eye opener for me was the article that came out in the KM in November of 1999 about "the dangers of the internet"

When I saw the lengths they were going to keep information from us bells started going off in my head big time.

Chester

• LDH
    LDH

I spoke with my sister, and the title of the book is simply :'Matroiska'...but with the correct spelling.

The level of plagarism is simply unacceptable.

Lisa

• LDH
    LDH

btt for the newbies and lurkers.

I would love it if Reborn2002 (Jason) could add a few experiences here, as well as JT and others. Feel free, guys.

Lisa

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

Let's see.... each Awake! issue has a circulation of what, 10 million or more? I wonder if the authors of that little perastroika (or glasnost, or Smirnoff, whatever it's called) book, with a circulation of probably a few thousand, would like to own a piece of a multi-gazillion dollar publishing empire. This kind of blatant plagiarism is illegal, and could be highly lucrative for the victim.

Hmmm

• LDH1
    LDH1

bttt for lurkers, newbies and Jan and Fred. (They know why.)

• WhyNow2000
    WhyNow2000

Hopefully one day I will post my experience (i am still fading-three years now)...until then

To all of you who posted..thanx! thanx! and thanx! It has been eye opener

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

Wow, this is the first time I have seen this thread, and since LDH asked that I post some experiences over 6 months ago, I think I will finally get around to it.

I am a 3rd-generation Jehovah's Witness. My grandfather was a Jehovah's Witness for over 54 years and serving in some capacity either as congregation overseer or elder for over 45 years prior to his death. His wife (my grandmother) was a Jehovah's Witness for over 40 years and served 20+ of them as a regular pioneer.

My mother was born into the Jehovah's Witnesses and has been baptized over 40 years.

With that type of history, you KNOW I have some stories I can tell.

I don't even know where to begin.

Should I begin with my own story? Or the stories of those I grew up with or encountered from having a grandfather who was an elder and served on hundreds of judicial committees?

I will warn you though, some of these stories will either shock or horrify you. Th first stories I will share all involve elders.. ironic when you consider that the elders are supposed to be appointed by Jah. Does their behavior reflect that?

I had a friend growing up in the Jehovah's Witness organization, his name was Jared Vaughn of the Canterbury Congregation in Markham, Illinois.. USA. (names are REAL, this is no lie, these stories are legit) His father, Alvester Vaughn, was an elder in the Canterbury Congregation. The examples of hypocrisy and abusiveness is almost unspeakable. I cannot count the times that Jared would call me asking for something to eat, and when I would visit his home when his parents were out on the town, I would see that they left him nothing, barely a loaf of bread or a box of crackers, with which to nourish himself. Now these people were not poor.. oh NO.. not by any means. They had moved into an expensive $300,000+ home in the ritzy Richton Park neighborhood in the south Chicago suburbs. They could easily afford food. Instead, the husband and wife spent quite a bit of time going out to fancy restaurants and enjoying $100+ meals, the wife had a fur coat worth several thousand dollars, and the elder had a vast array of expensive custom-tailored suits. All the while they forced their son to sit at home alone and to go hungry. They were also hypocrites in the fashion that the father was abusive. On more than one occasion I was actually visiting when I witnessed Mr Vaughn beat his son without warrant in a fit of anger. I myself was a teenager at the time so how would my voice be heard against a prominent elder in the congregation? Even more laughable, Jared and I were being bad by Jehovah's Witness standards and attended an R-rated movie (Waiting to Exhale) and low and behold, 6 rows in front of us his parents walked in to view the same R-rated film! When earlier that same Sunday his father had given a talk from the platform against R-rated films and rap music!

The hypocrisy and double-standards are actually mind-boggling.

Another example. Many times I have seen individuals without any prominence in their congregations be downtrodden or used, while those in positions of power can commit the same actions without fear of reprisal. Sam Davis was and still is to this day an elder in the Canterbury Congregation of Markham, Illinois. I cannot count the number of young single women or the sons of regular ole publishers who got reproved or DF'ed for any action that violates Watchtower doctrine. Then I look at this man who has served in the capacity as either school overseer or presiding overseer for years.. yet he has a daughter who is a lesbian (not that there is anything wrong with that, but a big NO-NO in JW-land) that lives in his own household, and he maintains his position of authority.

How is this possible if all are alleged to adhere to the same guidelines? The elders even moreso?

Another elder in the same congregation, Lionel Day.. was alleged to have beat his wife. I cannot confirm this, but when you notice a woman (his wife) sitting in a cowering position most of the time and always wearing HEAVY makeup and sunglasses even when it is cloudy or rainy, it makes you think.

I always suspected that the elders in the Canterbury Congregation skimmed off the donations as well. If you ever visit the Chicago area, contact me and I will show you how to view that congregation's parking lot. It looks like a car show. Counting the elders that I know, they drove:

• Lexus
    • Mercedes
    • BMW
    • Range Rover
    • Infiniti
    • Jaguar

the list goes on and on.

One of the above was a member of a carpet-cleaning service, another, a janitor. Determine the income of such a profession, and then the cost of such an automobile. You do the math.

Next post will cover some of my own experiences and some of those involving my family.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit