Should Witness parents be allowed to adopt nonWitness children?

by free2beme 18 Replies latest jw friends

• serendipity
    serendipity

I think of those poor Romanian children in orphanages where they are never cuddle, who are developmentally delayed and may not get proper medical treatment. I think that being adopted by a JW would be preferable to being reared in an institution.

• minimus
    minimus

Allowed? Yes. Should a Mormon be allowed to adopt a non-Mormon?? Same question with Jews. Or Islamists.Or Protestant fundies.

• Buster
    Buster

A lot gets lost in the "We don't support what JWs teach" arguement. In this context, what gets lost if the plight of children needing to be adopted.

If the public at large had any idea of what these kids go through, they would have a different perspective. I'm not talking about the few high-profile cases that find their way to the news media. I'm talking about the usual cases where the children are in an environment bad enough for them to be removed. Then the children go through a long process that includes movement among various foster homes. The process to sever parental rights can take years.

Society should not self-righteously deny these children a safe, permanent home just because the parents belong to a loony religion

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'm with Buster. There are things worse than a JW home. We REALLY DON'T know how bad it can be for some of these kids. For them, the alternative may be a series of Group Homes then.....the street. Is a JW home ideal? No. Is it better than nothing? Yes!

On the other hand, free2be, your sister should TELL THE COURTS how the child will be raised. This will help the social workers make an appropriate placement. Who knows what kind of child out there is yearning for a home?

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

NO NO NO

If it isnt bad enough being adopted and not having your own parents, to be raised as a religious freak too...

My sister was put up for adoption before mum became a JW, got married and had me. In both our opinions she got the better deal, because she didnt have to waste years of her life as a JW

• noni1974
    noni1974

My sister adpoted a little boy last year.My sister and her husband are both JW'S and are bring him up as one.The funny thing is he is not accepted by most of my family.Because he's black and my family are white.I as a EX JW told her that I not only suport her decision to adopt but if I could help I would.

My reasons are as follows.

1. The boy was born to a 13 year old drug user who fed him only candy and fast food.He was malnourished and smaller than he should be.

2. The father of the boy is a 30 year old man who is currently in jail.He is being charged with rape because he was proved to be the father of not only the child my sister adopted but also his brother from the same mother.This child is now in my sisters home as a foster child.He will be adopter as soon as the fathers rights are termanated.

3.My sister can't have children of her own.She wants to give a child a chance at a seminormal life.She has always wanted to be a mother.It is her greatest joy.The boy's both have developmental problems.She is willing to take under avantaged children and give them a life the birth parents can't and won't.

I have been able to meet the boys and bond with them.I could not imagin my life without these boy's.I truly think that if the people who adopt these kids into their family want them and love them.Why should a religion stop these kids from finding a family to love them?

The only thing I worry about is if the boy's decide to leave the JW'S when their older there parents will shun them.But that's when Auntie Noni will step in and let them know it's ok and I'm their for them.And I will love them no matter what.There my nephews for life.JW'S or not.

• free2beme
    free2beme

I think as a society, they would be more against the Muslim religion.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    I think that being adopted by a JW would be preferable to being reared in an institution.

My best friend and his brothers were raised in an institution for many years.

They are better Christians than any Jdubs I have ever met and I doubt that any of them have been in a church for years without a really good excuse, like a funeral.

They don't have anywhere near the psychological baggage that I carry and I envy them for that.

Chris

• free2beme
    free2beme

I guess it could be worse then being raised a Witness.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit