May I pay for your wedding? And your baby shower? and your house warming?

by LDH 37 Replies latest jw friends

• LDH
    LDH

OK I know it was not just Upstate New York that had this problem.

Of all the JW weddings I went to, I can think of 3 that were catered.

All the rest, the congregation members paid for. Whether said event was at the local grange or the 4-H, you could count on getting an invitation to "Bring a dish to pass."

In my old age wisdom (37) and since leaving the JW, I have never been invited to a social event that I had to help fund.

How 'bout you?

Lisa

Enough to Feed an Army Class

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

lol i'm an outcast .. i dont get invited to social events..

i gotta get out more lol

• silentWatcher
    silentWatcher

ROTFLMAO! Lisa, You made my evening.

-silent

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    lol i'm an outcast .. i dont get invited to social events..

Well, at 92, some might consider you a bit frail for all the excitement.

• blondie
    blondie

My non-JW in-laws live in a rural area and potluck receptions are not unusual. The ladies in the church supervise it, setting out the food, replacing old dishes with new, serving at the tables and cleaning up. If a couple are young and don't have a lot of money and their parents don't either, I don't see anything wrong with bringing a dish to pass.

Blondie

• hubert
    hubert

LDH, We do that a lot around here. I have actually been to a couple of weddings that were "pot luck", and it was fun. Everyone brings a dish, and you'd be surprised how tasty some of these plates are, from lasagne, to desserts of all kinds.

We have a block party every year on our street, and everyone that comes, brings something, pizza, stuffed mushrooms, chicken wings, cakes, etc., etc. Sorta buffet style. Nothing wrong with that. (drooling)

Hubert

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

This didn't happen all that often at any of the JW weddings I went to. The odd time it happened it wasn't much of a big deal to me. Most JW's that get married are very young and can't afford too much, and with the type of work the parents do they don't have much money either.

One wedding we attended that was "pot luck" there was hardly any food at all. The poor sister that was taking care of the food said that hardly anybody that was supposed to bring a dish did. She was really upset. She ended up running to the grocery store and bought frozen lasaganas and heated them up in the halls kitchen, then went to Tim Hortons for tim bits for the dessert.

At baby or wedding showers they were almost always pot luck (this at JW and non JW showers I've been to.

BB

• hubert
    hubert
    One wedding we attended that was "pot luck" there was hardly any food at all.

That's sad.....Reminds me of last year, we went to a large family reunion that this nice old lady relative hosted, and she only had 3 pizza's there, for about 100 people. So, some people took off and came back with more pizza's and desserts, plus some of us got calls to pick up some desserts or sandwiches at Subway or whatever, and everything worked out well in the end.

Hubert

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I think its mainly cultural. I have seen some outlandish JW weddings, with catering, limos, favors, open bars, the whole bit. But for everyone of those, there are a hundred weddings held at the KH with the reception at the local grange hall with the brothers out back tossing horse-shoes and the sisters inside preparing cold-cut trays and arranging their 5 different versions of lasagne and 3 styles of potatos salad.

• bebu
    bebu

Weddings at a grange hall??

I was just reading today about how the Grange was put together by a Freemason. With some interesting rituals, to boot.

Of course, JWs must consider this a conscience matter...

bebu

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit