Do you believe in sin?

by MsMcDucket 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

If so, what is a sin? Who makes the definition?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    Who makes the definition?

The culture you live in.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    The culture you live in.

The culture that we live in calls it sin from a religious view point, immorality from a secular view point. Sin to me is something that God hates. Immorality from a secular view point would be something that goes against cultural expectations. Most often, immorality is based on the bible view point of sin.

Definition of sin:

1. A transgression of a religious or moral law, especially when deliberate.
    2. Theology.
    3. Deliberate disobedience to the known will of God.
    4. A condition of estrangement from God resulting from such disobedience.
    5. Something regarded as being shameful, deplorable, or utterly wrong.

Definition of Immoral:

adj 1: violating principles of right and wrong [ant: moral, amoral] 2: not adhering to ethical or moral principles; "base and unpatriotic motives"; "a base, degrading way of life"; "cheating is dishonorable"; "they considered colonialism immoral"; "unethical practices in handling public funds" [syn: base, dishonorable, dishonourable, unethical] 3: morally unprincipled; "immoral behavior" 4: characterized by wickedness or immorality; "led a very bad life" [syn: bad] 5: marked by immorality; deviating from what is considered right or proper or good; "depraved criminals"; "a perverted sense of loyalty"; "the reprobate conduct of a gambling aristocrat" [syn: depraved, perverse, perverted, reprobate]

• Shazard
    Shazard

Yes
    God

• jstalin
    jstalin

No.

Sin is breaking an arbitrary rule that god decides he want you to live by. At any given time, god may change those rules, if he feels like it. Sorta like a dictatorship.

• ballistic
    ballistic

You can sin against yourself, your own sense of morals. I've done it and there's nothing worse.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

My definition of sin is something that needlessly harms someone else or damages/harms something (ie animals or inanimate objects).

Usually the cultural or religious setting you are in will define sin.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

yes:

sin is living a life that is without love.

Without love for humanity, without love for ourselves, without love for our earth, without love for our animal life etc.

Who?

Simple answer: God

Complicated answer that I could go on and on about: God

BSoM

• blondie
    blondie
    New Living Translation (NLT)
    Romans 2:14

14 Even when Gentiles, who do not have God's written law, instinctively follow what the law says, they show that in their hearts they know right from wrong.
    Romans 2:15

15 They demonstrate that God's law is written within them, for their own consciences either accuse them or tell them they are doing what is right.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

I take the definition of sin as "missing the mark" or "the transgression of moral law" so, yes, I believe people are sinful.

Human beings by nature have a great capacity for love and self-sacrifice and justice, but are also prone to losing self-control, being hateful, being overwhelmed by idiot desires that consume them, overly frightened, all of which causes them to do stupid things which have a negative effect on themselves and their neighbors.

As a species we don't seem to have the capacity to live in peace with each other or treat others as we want to be treated. I call that insanity. The word "sin" or "sinful" works for me too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit