VietNam Era

by Tina 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Tina
    Tina

Hi All,
    Jeff,sorry.Is your cuz on the wall?
    What memories here! Thank you all for sharing.And for some what are painful ones.
    Jeff,my husband was in the North,AMerical Div.Quad 50 gunner at Chu Lai.He did 2 tours. He desperately wants to see the place one more time.He says he loved the country and people.
    Joe,,fascinating! All the posts really brought back the different ambiences of that era. Thanks again to all! Warm regards, and welcome home! Tina

Carl Sagan on balancing openness to new ideas with skeptical scrutiny..."if you are open to the point of gullibility and have not an ounce of skeptical sense-you cannot distinguish useful ideas from worthless ones."

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

One common trait I've noticed over the years about those who actually served in combat, is that they are reluctant to talk about it. They will talk about the crazy things they did while on leave and with their buddies, but there seems to be little desire to dredge up memories about the reality of battle.

My dad was in the Navy during WWII and when I'd ask him about combat and the death that he saw while in the south Pacific, he'd change the subject.

I think this tells us alot about the horror of war.

• Eyebrow
    Eyebrow

My father served in Korea in the Navy. He died ten years ago, and I still have no idea what he did exactly. The only thing he would ever mention was eating lots of spam, and learning to work on engines.

• bboyneko
    bboyneko

Saving private ryan was enough to convince me to stay the hell away from war short of another nazi regim threatenging to take over the world.
    -Dan

• TR
    TR

The only connection I have to Viet Nam is my cousin. He just retired from the Navy a few years ago.

He was on river boat duty somewhere over there, I guess like a PT boat or something. Then he trained for sub duty and was on an old diesel boat for a while, then the nuclear sub Ethan Allen. He was the chef, and was greatly admired for his unusual and tasty menus.

TR

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    —Edmund Burke

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit