This whole fear issue

by Lady Lee 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Shazard
    Shazard

Real christian allways preaches, if needed - even speaks in words!

• greendawn
    greendawn

The JWs do use intense psychological pressure to push their victims into doing the things they want to see done. Other cults do the same but you can't compare them with mainstream religions which go on the principle that humans should serve God out of love and not out of fear and intimidation. That's why the JWs are always stressed out and unhappy, their relationship with God is based on fear and is totally unnatural.

• KW13
    KW13

yep! i always think that religion is good to talk about in a relaxed environment with all seeing each other as equal. JW's start the chats with them in control and them being the 'experts'.

A thoughtful post as always LL - thanks

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Many fundamentalist religions use fear as a factor. And as a matter of fact, I do know several "good" Catholics - Jesuits that are teriffied of burning in hell. So there is an aspect of fear in many religions. I believe that most organized religions are dangerous if a person allows someone or something else to think for them and make decisions for them. looking_glass

An individual who is afraid of going to hell, which is really an eternal existence without Christ. is not saved and is not really forsaking all in trusting Him (Jesus). You have nothing to fear when you turn to Jesus and accept Him as your Lord and Savior. The WATCHTOWER cannot teach this simple truth because it would be the end of their sovereignty over their victims.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Honesty said - An individual who is afraid of going to hell, which is really an eternal existence without Christ. is not saved and is not really forsaking all in trusting Him (Jesus). You have nothing to fear when you turn to Jesus and accept Him as your Lord and Savior.

I am of the belief that even if a person does not believe in a god or Christ that they also have nothing to fear. My theory is that history has shown human's willingness to suspend reason in favor of religion beliefs, and in turn those religious beliefs can and do cause the worst of human atrocities. Regardless of a person's belief, if they love their fellow humans (or at least try to love them) and live a life free of hatred and harm, I think they should all be deemed as good people and not live in fear of any god, person, governmental agency or religious organization.

Peace to all

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

The WTS would often make the comparison that God was like a loving father. And that as His children we should be afraid of disappointing Him.

Now, I grew up with an angry father. We were scared of him and had good reason to be scared of him. My father killed our pets while we watched and told us the same would happen to us if we were bad. This is the same man I watched straddling my mother while his hands around her neck, choking her. Is it any wonder that I could not feel close to him.

This is the kind of God that the WTS wants us to follow. An angry God, eagaer to find fault and with the ability to choke the life out of us if we were not obedient.

There are many scriptures in the Old Testament that portray God this way. Obey or die.

The God of the New Testament seems to be more of a loving father who wants the best for his children.

It's like they are talking about two very different gods to me. No wonder I'm so confused about it all.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Yes, LL, I agree, it is hard to figure out what is true when you have people speaking out of every orifice. I suppose that is what puts people on the quest to find what they deem to be "truth". Until they reach that point though, they will continue to buy into what is fed them.

• greendawn
    greendawn

The God of the Old Testament is very stern and exacting and he suits their purposes for intimidating the R&F, striking fear in them and keeping them in subjection, that's why they rely so heavily on the OT whereas christians rely more on the New Testament.

There man is presented as reconciled with God through Jesus and He is to them a father rather than a lord, as the Jews would perceive Him. Perhaps that's why the WTS keeps the dubs away from the new covenent which is what makes God the father of his adopted children and not their lord.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit