Was John Lennon's Half-Sister really a JW?

by CaptainSchmideo 8 Replies latest jw friends

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

So I looked it up, and it's true! My friend also claims that Julia Baird (Lennon) went to her (my friend's) hall until after John was assassinated, and that afterwards "she really went off the rails" and quit going to the meetings.

Any outside confirmation of this? I found this surprisingly fascinating....

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

I can't confirm that for you sorry. But we heard here in Australia that he had some type of interaction with the witnesses and he wrote the song 'imagine' based on the JW idea of paradise earth.

• Highlander
    Highlander

I wonder if this qualifies as an urban legend?

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/111779/1.ashx

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

"she really went off the rails" sounds like a bit of an overstatement to me.

We might get some insight into her from reading her book, John Lennon: My Brother

• Jim Dee
    Jim Dee

Julia Bird used to go to the Birkennhead Claughton Congregation and then moved to Wallasey (Gordy can help here) She then moved to Neston and went to the Heswall Congregation. She now sometimes goes to the Chester Northgate Congregation as she till lives in Neston.Her husband (when she went to Claughton) was a greengrocer in Morton. She was never "in the truth" per se, but she used to associate strongly with them. Very friendly with the Douglas's in Wallasey, the Christians and also the Birds and the Crawfords in Claughton - which is where I know her from. A really nice lady and one of lifes gentle people Jim

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

Thanks for the details, Jim.

I have friends at the Wallasey hall, who are still devout dubs, but can best be described as "bruised".

Anyway, this whole subject just came up in general conversation, and I was surprised that Lennon had other siblings.

The "going off the rails" was a quote of the conversation, not my voiced opinion. If you says she is a pleasant individual, I'm sure you are correct. In an interview with her I found, she appears to be regretful of the life that John had when he became a Beatle.

If Gordy is from the Wallasey area, could he PM me please, I have a question I need to ask him in private.

• Gordy
    Gordy

I knew Julia Baird in the 1970's when she was in the same Wallasey congregation as her. She and her husband lived not far from where I and my wife lived. We used to round to hers quite often. A very quiet spoken woman. She never made anything of the fact she was Lennons sister.

Last time I met her was probably 2-3 years ago in Chester.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I am not the most avid Beatle fan. But it was fairly common knowledge at the time that John was estranged from his family and his father. He was raised by 'Aunt Mimi'

I would surmise that he had not a lot to do with her.

• rebel8
    rebel8
    he wrote the song 'imagine' based on the JW idea of paradise earth

Another fake JW legend. Lennon was studying Eastern philosophies at the time. Other religions, including Humanism and Kabbalah, have all claimed Lennon was referring to their philosophy in the lyrics. But the first 2 verses disprove the song is even remotely about JWs:

Imagine there's no heaven
    It's easy if you try
    No hell below us
    Above us only sky
    Imagine all the people
    Living for today...

Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion tooImagine all the people
    Living life in peace...

~of the won't-let-'em-dubbify-one-of-my-fave-songs class~