JWs: If the Bible is really all we need, then why all this WTS literature?

by whyizit 10 Replies latest jw friends

• whyizit
    whyizit

I've noticed when I ask JWs questions, they keep handing me all kinds of booklets and encourage me to look in the Reasoning book. They do not answer my questions. And why do they NOT refer me to the Bible? Hand me a Bible???? Look it up in the Bible? Instead of these other books?

These are all books that men have written, that give their personal assumption of what these quotes mean, but in context of the Scripture, they often make no sense at all. It seems like some guy said, "Wow, this makes sense to me."...leafed through the Bible and then said, "Here's a Scripture that I can use to support it." Then expects the people he tells his idea to, to read HIS thoughts of how things are or should be, then quotes a Scripture to make it appear that God agrees with what he is saying, and never expects the people he tells this stuff to, to read the entire context and figure out that the Bible isn't talking about that in the quoted Scripture at all!

Say I'm a plant lover and wanted people to quit doing things to hurt the plants and ruin their environment. I could quote Bible Scriptures to support my ideas:

Jesus is the vine, God is the gardener. This proves that God loves plants! Jesus actually was a plant at one time. (John 15:1). God made plants before He made people (Gen. 1:11-12)! His original plan was for us to take care of them in a beautiful garden. (Gen. 2:15). There was one tree He made special and did not want the fruit plucked from. (Gen. 2:17) Then Eve did it! Not only that, she actually ATE the fruit! Thus, Jesus had to die on a tree, due to that sin. The tree of life still exists with God in His heavenly paradise (Rev. 2:7). If we believe in Jesus and protect all the plants as best we can, then maybe we can eat of it one day and live forever.

Now, if I have a group of sincere people who really love plants and are not very familiar with the Bible in the first place, I could really convice them of this, if I did the research. I know it is possible, because it is happening in many other areas. Clever men are convincing people of all kinds of things, claiming them to be Biblical and the only true way to God. Using this same process. They discourage them from reading or researching on their own...."Here, read this. (Only read the quoted Scripture, nothing around it. Lest you become confused, because Satan will try to throw you off, if you go out on your own trying to interpret this. Trust me!) Only I can help you understand, because you couldn't possibly figure this out without my literature."

When someone offers to study the Bible with me, I expect two, maybe three books to be on the table. Both of our Bibles, and maybe a Concordance. Nothing else. God wrote THE BOOK. He doesn't need help. He didn't get it wrong the first time. He didn't make it confusing. Why should we believe what anyone else has added to it? Doesn't the Bible warn us NOT to do that?

This is what I am seeing. I'm sure there are a lot of good intentions out there, but I've also heard what "road" is paved with good intentions, so .....

Has anyone else come to this same conclusion?

• Legolas
  • Legolas
    Legolas

Witnesses forbidden to study the Bible ALONE:

• 1910 "If the 6 volumes of 'Scripture Studies' are practically the Bible topically arranged, with Bible proof-texts given, we might not improperly name the volumes- 'The Bible' in an arranged form. That is to say, they are not merely comments on the Bible, but they are practically the Bible itself...Furthermore, not only do we find that people cannot see the divine plan in studying the Bible itself, but we see also that if anyone lays the 'Scripture Studies' ... after he has read them for 10 years-if he then lays them aside and ignores them and goes to the Bible alone...out experience shows that within 2 years he goes into darkness. On the other hand, if he has merely read the 'S.S.' with their references, and had not read a page of the Bible, as such, he would be in the light at the end of the two years." (Watchtower, Sept 15, 1910)

• 1951 But if each of us were left to himself just because he has a copy of the Bible and were to direct his movements independently as he thought he understood the Word, what? It is likely, or possible, that there would be a great deal of confusion or working in competition among us. Hence, besides individually possessing God's Word, we need a theocratic organization. Yes, besides having God's spirit of illumination, a Christian needs Jehovah's theocratic organization in order to understand the Bible. (Watchtower; June 15, 1951; p. 375)
  • 1957 "The world is full of Bibles, which Book contains the commandments of God. Why, then, do the people not know which way to go? … "God has not arranged for [His] Word to speak independently or to shine life-giving truths by itself. It is through his organization God provides this light." (Watchtower, May 1, 1957, pg. 274)
  • 1967 "The Bible cannot be properly understood without Jehovah's visible organization in mind." (Watchtower, Oct 1, 1967, pg. 587)
  • 1965 "He does not impart his holy spirit and understanding and appreciation of his Word apart from his visible organization." (Watchtower, July 1, 1965, pg. 391)
  • 1981 "We all need help to understand the Bible, and we cannot find the scriptural guidance we need outside the 'faithful and discreet slave' organization.'" (Watchtower, February 15, 1981, p.19)
  • 1981 They say that it is sufficient to read the Bible exclusively, either alone or in small groups at home. But, strangely, through such 'Bible reading,' they have reverted right back to the apostate doctrines that commentaries by Christendom's clergy were teaching 100 years ago,... (Watchtower; Aug. 15, 1981; p. 29)
  • 1994 Channel to understanding the Bible... All who want to understand the Bible should appreciate that the "greatly diversified wisdom of God" can become known only through Jehovah's channel of communication, the faithful and discreet slave. (Watchtower; Oct. 1, 1994; p. 8)
  • Non-Witnesses please understand that Witnesses do not believe the Bible, they believe the watchtower. Don't waste your time studying the Bible with them. They only believe what the organization prints.
  • INFORMATION CONTROL #2:

The Inspired Watchtower is the TRUE Witness Bible!

• 1936 "The Lord has graciously provided for the publication of his message in the form of books, that the people many be informed of the truth....those books do not contain the opinion of any man." (Riches, 1936, p. 384, 385)
    • 1937 "The Watchtower is issued twice each month and brings to its readers the current report which the Lord, in the exercise of his loving-kindness, manifests in the unfolding of his prophecies to those who are devoted to him....the Watchtower being the means the Lord is pleased to use to transmit his message of truth to the people, it is a real comfort to the remnant and the other sheep of the Lord to have this given to the regularly twice each month." (1937 Yearbook, p. 82)
    • 1938 "Jehovah provides the machinery, the printing presses, and all material for the purpose of preparing his fiery message that must be poured out or scattered upon 'Christendom', and this is done by his 'faithful servant' class." (Watchtower May 1, 1938 p 143)
    • 1939 "It should be expected that the Lord would have a means of communicating to his people on the earth, and he has clearly shown that the magazine called The Watchtower is used for that purpose." (1939 Yearbook Of Jehovah's Witnesses, P 85)
    • 1940 Court's Question to Franz: "Who subsequently became the Editor of the magazine, the main editor of the 'Watch Tower' magazine?" Franz's Answer: "Jehovah God." (Fred W. Franz on the witness stand under oath, New York King's County Clerks' Court Record, 1940, vol. II, p 795)
    • 1942 Christ Jesus has caused the understanding of the prophetic dramas and pictures to be clear and set forth in the Watchtower publications. (Watchtower, Dec. 15, 1942 p. 376)
    • 1959 "The evidence of the holy spirit in the quality and content of the writings published by the Watchtower Society should be the thing that satisfies, that convinces, together with a comparison of these things with the inspired Word of God, the Holy Scriptures." (Watchtower, Oct. 1, 1959, p. 607-608)
    • Non-Witnesses please understand that to a Witness the Watchtower literally replaces the Bible as a source of faith and doctrine. They will strongly deny this, but Witnesses know in their hearts it is true as the above quotes prove beyond any question.
  • carla
    carla

I thought the usual line is that, 'we cannot understand the bible without the fds'. If you go back to the time of Russel he even believed if you read his books you would be in the light, if you quit reading his books and read only the bible you would be in darkness within two years. (someone has the quote, sorry to lazy at the moment) I believe that is still the milieu of the org, you can't think and understand anything without them.

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

And even when you do get them to crack a Bible, it will be the New World Whirled Translation. They are like a fish out of water without the Bible translated their way. In thier Bible, God sees everything the Watchtower Way and always agrees with them!

• garybuss
    garybuss

Also, we must not only publish books about or in explanation of the Bible; we must also help the Bible readers to understand these Bible-explaining books, … (The Watchtower Nov. 15, 1961 p.694)

• Mrs.Congeniality
    Mrs.Congeniality
    I am glad you posted this. I actually had an elder over a couple of weeks ago to go over 1914 questions. When he was here he mentioned to me that the Faithful and Discrete slave are not the same as the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. My husband and I were very shocked at this. He said that the org did not need the WBTS to stay alive. After all we have the bible and it is Gods word. Never ever heard an elder say that before.
  • blindersoff
    blindersoff

13 Gradually, Jehovah gave his people a clearer understanding of his will and purpose. (Proverbs 4:18) The Watch Tower of

• blindersoff
    blindersoff

Feb 1, 06WT

13 Gradually, Jehovah gave his people a clearer understanding of his will and purpose. (Proverbs 4:18) The Watch Tower of December 1, 1928, said: "Can we say that [the] circulation of the Bible Accomplished the foretold preaching of the gospel of the kingdom? Decidedly no! In spite of this Bible distribution it is still necessary for God's little band of witnesses in the earth to print literature explaining God's [purpose] and to call upon the homes where these Bibles have been placed……"

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Their version should be called the New World Distortion!

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit