Annoucement about "Accidents and Emergencies" at Convention

by stillAwitness 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

April 2006 KM:

Accidents and Emergencies: Emergency-response services have complained that they receive many cell-phone calls over minor matters. If a medical emergency arises at the convention site, please contact a nearby attendant, who will immedietly notiy First Aid so that our qualified personnel on site can assess the seriousness of the situation and render assistance. If necessary, 911 will be called.

hmmm...I don't get it. First of all: if my mother is going in convulsions in the middle of the symposium ya damn right I'm gonna dial 911 on my cell instead of walking up a flight of stairs just to let an attendant know first.

And what's with the First Aid?? How many people who volunteer at First Aid are actually qualified to "assess the seriousness" of a medical situation? Any doctors in that bunch? Yeah, I didn't think so.

I've heard this annoucement every year so what gives?

• free2beme
    free2beme

Calling 911 is something you pay taxes for, use it when ever you want. Being told not too, is making an assessment that could cost lives.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

The problem my ladies, this is the WBT$$ we're talking about. when an organization calls 911 to there premises, said organization is liable for the bill of the emergency service. Therefore the WT$ wants to make sure their crack staff decides on whether the nature of the emergency calls for EMS or not.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

At all the assemblies I've attended, there has been either a medical doctor, paramedics, or nurses in attendance. We got dozens of people asking for bandages for tiny drops of blood, aspirin for headaches, sanitary napkins for unexpected periods, removal of tiny splinters, etc.

So on this one, I'm for making the announcements that only true emergencies use the first aid or call 911. You have no idea how many people think their slightest discomfort is medical emergency.

Cog

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

as to qualified personnel at the conventions, I knew at least two sisters who were nurses who were always tapped for duty at the CO and DO's.

• POs Son
    POs Son

Darth,
    Perhaps laws are different in your area, but here, a 911 call never incurs a charge to the business or orginization. The standard of an "emergency" is when a lay-person perceives that there is an emergency. We receive 911 calls for bleeding gums, back pain for 15 years, stubbed toes, and once, for directions on how long to cook a turkey.
    If there is an actual medical problem, and a person is transported by ambulance, then there is a fee incurred, but is is incurred by the person transported.
    We do, however, charge businesses and homeowners (householders???) for multiple false fire and burglar alarms that require a response.
    PO's Son -

• blondie
    blondie

Hey, if brother or sister SittingByMe drops over unconscious and I have a cell phone, I ain't calling an attendant, I would do what I would do at work (and we are instructed to to at work) call 911, not our supervisor.

Also, the first aid in this area does not hand out bandaids, aspirin, safety pins, or menstrual pads/items. You are supposed to be prepared yourself.

As to nurses and any doctors at the conventions, they can only treat you if they are authorized legally to do so. Do they have defribillators at first aid? or any other medical equipment? Do they have the means to transport people to first aid if they are not ambulatory? Are their brothers or sisters trained in CPR who have been identified and are prepared to do so immediately?

Do JWs call 911 from home or work when they have a little owie?

Blondie

• merfi
    merfi

Emergency-response services have complained

I doubt it. But if they DID complain, it was probably within themselves (I work in a small hospital so we see it all -- ambulance calls for silly things to us, but life and death to the caller. That's what matters.). My guess it's the Society who complained for one reason or another.

Like someone else said, there's no charge to use 911. The fees start when the ambulance comes out. And the ambulance goes out when it's discerned that it's needed.

I would never put any sort of emergency in the hands of the attendents or convention First Aid over calling 911 like NORMAL people do.

~merfi

• geevee
    geevee

Perhaps LIABILITY is the deciding factor as to who get to call 911. Are we in the clear? Yes Brother, call 911. Did this person slip and fall over someones bag, perhaps we can drive you home?...... just a thought

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I suspect it's because of the disruption of the 'audience' seeing some emergency workers chasing through the stadium.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit