What do you know about the Gideons?

by Snoozy 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I went with my daughter today to the hospital as she had to have some tests done.

On a shelf was a Gideon Bible. It had some of their history in the front pages. It seems they are a group of christians from different religions that spread the word about God. They also distribute bibles to various places to help others learn about God.

So I turn to Psalm 83:18 and sure enough..their it was.."Jehovah's" name.

I showed my daughter and she snaps back..so that proves the witnesses are right?

I just stared at her. She was raised a witness and we left when she was in her late teens.

So do you think she deep down still wonders?

She sure got me wondering..her family now are all active Catholic.

Do any of you that were raised in the religion still have deep down doubts as to it's truthfullness?

Snoozy...

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

They've been distributing Bibles for years...I still have the New Testament I got in elementary school. You had to have a permission slip from your parents to get one. The King James version has Jehovah in it 3 times; one of them being Psalms 83:18. They primarily leave their Bibles in hotel rooms, schools and prisons - they have been doing that for years and years and years (1899). My great great grandfather, Samuel F. Hill of Wisconsin was a founder of the Gideons in 1898.

www.gideons.org

Samuel F. Hill

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

gideons are like a non-violet version of al-qaeda. instead of leaving korans everywhere they go they leave bibles instead.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

This thread remined me of this song.

THE BEATLES lyrics - "Rocky Raccoon"

Now somewhere in the black mountain hills of Dakota
    There lived a young boy named Rocky Raccoon
    And one day his woman ran off with another guy
    Hit young Rocky in the eye Rocky didn't like that
    He said I'm gonna get that boy
    So one day he walked into town
    Booked himself a room in the local saloon

Rocky Raccoon checked into his room
    Only to find Gideon's bible
    Rocky had come equipped with a gun
    To shoot off the legs of his rival
    His rival it seems had broken his dreams
    By stealing the girl of his fancy
    Her name was Magil and she called herself Lil
    But everyone knew her as Nancy
    Now she and her man who called himself Dan
    Were in the next room at the hoe down
    Rocky burst in and grinning a grin
    He said Danny boy this is a showdown
    But Daniel was hot, he drew first and shot
    And Rocky collapsed in the corner, ah

D'da d'da d'da da da da
    D'da d'da d'da da da da
    D'da d'da d'da da d'da d'da d'da d'da
    Do do do do do do

D'do d'do d'do do do do
    D'do d'do d'do do do do
    D'do d'do d'do do do d'do d'do d'do d'do
    Do do do do do do

Now the doctor came in stinking of gin
    And proceeded to lie on the table
    He said Rocky you met your match
    And Rocky said, doc it's only a scratch
    And I'll be better I'll be better doc as soon as I am able

And now Rocky Raccoon he fell back in his room
    Only to find Gideon's bible
    Gideon checked out and he left it no doubt
    To help with good Rocky's revival, ah
    Oh yeah, yeah

D'do d'do d'do do do do
    D'do d'do d'do do do do
    Do do do do do do

D'do d'do d'do do do do, come on, Rocky boy
    D'do d'do d'do do do do, come on, Rocky boy
    The story of Rocky there

lisa

• blondie
    blondie

I have found many Bible translations that use "jehovah" or "yahweh" in the OT where it is found in the manuscripts...not so in the Greek manuscripts.

Many churches use "Jehovah" in their hymns, sermons, bibles, and the names of their churches.

Just gotta drop those JW blinders.

Blondie

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

The NI Dict of the Christian Church [pg 412] says the following:

The Gideons are an association of Christian business and professional men that grew out of a meeting between one John Nicholson, and one Samuel Hill. They had occasion to meet at the Central Hotel, Biscobel, Wisconsin in 1898.

While participating in evening devotions, the two men discovered that they shared a common faith. They met again the next year, and this time were joined by one WJ Knight.

It was then that they organized an association of Christian travelling men, who called themselves the "Gideons" in recognition of the OT hero who had led a small band of Israelites to victory over the Midianites, as mentioned in the book of Judges chs 6 and 7.

From that time, the membership of the group has grown into an international community of some 42,000 people in 90 countries.

Their stated aim is to evangelize the message of Christ, and win people to him, particularly by the free distribution of Scripture. The cost for this is met by the Community, and several churches worldwide.

The programme of distribution first began in 1908 when copies of the Bible and the NT were placed without cost in certain public places such as hotels. The work spread to prisons, and to schools. They also reach hospitals, Military Institutions, and other places such as Govt buildings.

They are only involved in the distribution of Bibles and the NT. There is no "church" called the "Gideon Church"or whatever.

The last statistic I have is that by 1972 they had placed

11,000,000 Bibles, 91,000,000 NTs worldwide in 32 languages

Cheers

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

Re The above.

I have learnt that the Gideons have received the publishing rights to three English translations of the Bible: KJV, NKJV, and THE Revised Berkeley Version. All of these translations make infrequent use of the word "Jehovah" usually relying on the term "LORD" to describe the God of the OT

Cheers

• glitter
    glitter

I'm gonna catch me a Gideon.

/bit obscure?

• wombat
    wombat

I have always found it comforting to find a Gideon Bible in my room. A calming read (if you read the right parts) at the end of a hectic business day.

I always check the fly-leaf first to see if anyone has written "For a good time phone......". Haven't found one yet- maybe it's an urban myth.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Do any of you that were raised in the religion still have deep down doubts as to it's truthfullness?

Snoozy...

Came in as an adult. Very stooopid of me. Very, very stooopid.

The JW's never had the Holy Spirit and never will have it as long as they remain in the WATCHTOWER cult.

The Gideons are doing the world a service by placing Bibles. They place them in many non-Christian countries like China.

They don't browbeat or guilt anyone to donate either.

Unlike the false prophets of the WATCHTOWER, they are Bible publishers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit