The Wizard of Oz

by onesong 11 Replies latest jw friends

• onesong
    onesong

Just thought I'd share this because I'm amazed at how many people know and love this movie but have missed the significance of it's beautiful metaphor.

Dorothy, Scarecrow, Tinman, Lion represent everyone of us with or thoughts of being incomplete, imperfect and needing something outside of ourselves for fulfillment. (Heart, courage, brain, being home)

Yellow Brick Road--path of life

Emerald City/ Wizard of Oz --hope in fulfillment of something in the future and outside of us (JW's New World)

Upon finding out the Wizard is a hoax --they discover they had everything they needed all along WITHIN them ("the Kingdom is in your midst)

They needed the journey along the road with the White Witch and Black Witch (good and evil, yin and yang) to create the obstacles and challenges needed to bring forth what was within them and discover their own greatness.

Dorothy realizing it was a dream, an illusion, and that she was in fact always at home no matter where she thought she was.

This is just an overview of the main theme but there's many more details involved. As with all metaphor or mythology have fun exploring!

• mtbatoon
    mtbatoon

And I thought it was just a Populist satire commenting on the use of the gold standard.

http://www.halcyon.com/piglet/Populism.htm

• onesong
    onesong

mtbatoon, thanks for the link--now THAT'S an interesting take! I just love the variety and unlimited possiblities that human thought can have.

Like I said, it's fun. Please, anyone else add more!

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I still haven't watched the Wizard of Oz. Why? Because my parents deemed it to be demonic based purely on the title. Yeah - its true! Same story with Knightrider (the talking car - must be a demon), although maybe missing out on the Hasselhoff was a good thing,

• luna2
    luna2

I loved the Wizard of Oz as a kid. Didn't care what the stories were a metaphor for, just thought it was a lovely fantasy. I would get a new book in the series every Christmas and birthday from the time I was about six.

Sometimes I wonder if I would have been a less dreamy, more practical person if I hadn't been raised on those stories. lol Prolly wouldn't have made a difference.

• onesong
    onesong

Crumpet...Knightrider a demonized car!!! THAT is too funny!!!!

• heathen
    heathen

I thought it was a metaphor about not joining cults . Don't be frightened by appearances ... that sort of thing. Anyways I do love the movie it was great.

• ICBehindtheCurtain
    ICBehindtheCurtain

I loved that movie! Onesong, that's an interesting take on it. I can relate, we have always had everything we need inside ourselves, we just looked to some Borganization to tell us what to do, and what to think. But we have now seen who is behind the curtain, and it's not Jehovah, or the Creator, just some old men who are trying desperately to hold on to a sinking ship !

And no, there is no place like home, home is in the here and now, not in some long held illusion of a coming JW Paradise, as many of us now know, that's only an ad campaign slogan, meant to bring the new ones, and hold on to the old and tired out ones, but it's not very effective any longer, the illusion is slowly fading away as more and more realize that this earth isn't such a bad place, and life in these times is actually pretty damn good, as opposed to the dark ages for example. Although I am aware that for some life is very difficult and sad, hopefully things will get better for them also.

IC

• free2beme
    free2beme

You forgot that Toto simbolizes the struggle between man and it's beastlike side to just run off and break free from the restrain of many leashes of control and be able too be seen as a equal of "... and your little dog too." Free the beast within!

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Hey onesong!

I've used a Wizard of Oz image as the logo for my site at www.watchtowerwiki.org from the start for just those reasons you mentioned. I really should add more content there . . . .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit