2007 District Conventions

by dozy 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• dozy
    dozy

I've heard from 2 independent and impeccable sources "close to the GB" (I should have been a journalist!) that the 2007 conventions are all to be held within a one month period. As stadiums are often booked up to five years in advance , this has caused consternation among district overseers and at least one stadium has charged the JWs several thousands of pounds in a penalty clause to cancel and reschedule the booking. No change in 2008 arrangements , so this seems to be a one off , for next year.

Any of the more thoughtful posters like to comment on the possible reasons and/or implications for this WTS decision? And any confirmation from the Bethel "insiders"?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    the 2007 conventions are all to be held within a one month period

Is this just within the U.S. or worldwide? The only reason I can imagine is that a doctrinal announcement needs to be made in a manner that does not allow time for rumour and speculation to grow. The obvious way would simply be an article in the Watchtower so the question raises itself, 'What do they want the members to know that they do not want to commit to print'?

Bet it's something boring.

• carla
    carla

They plan that far in advance?

• blondie
    blondie
    at least one stadium has charged the JWs several thousands of pounds in a penalty clause to cancel and reschedule the booking

I think this was misunderstood. If the JWs had a contract with the stadium, it would make more sense that the stadium would pay the WTS to reschedule their booking not the other way.

In days gone past, there used to be fewer conventions but with larger attendance. Starting with the one in 1958 in new with over 250,000 at Yankee Stadium and the Polo Ground, the Rose Bowl in 1963 with more than 110,000 on Sunday. Perhaps they are shooting for larger conventions. I predict that more and more conventions will be held in Assembly Halls.

What would be the point of having them all in one month if they can't book the facilities?

Blondie

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

No doubt it has to do with money and cost-savings in some way. logistics.

maybe too, it is easier on any special bethel speakers or GB members to keep their traveling down to big spurt instead of spread out over the whole summer....

-eduardo

• blondie
    blondie
    special bethel speakers or GB members

Actually, Eduardo, this is not usually a strain on them. Most are assigned to the areas where they have family or friends from their days before going to Bethel and request being assigned there combining time with friends and family with attending a convention. I have seen that Bethelites and GB rarely attend a convention besides the one they speak at. I lived near Bethel for several years and very few Bethelites went to the convention the congregation they attended was assigned to unless they lacked the funds (or their family lacked the funds) for them to travel "home" or were too sick to travel. The speakers in this area all had family to visit and usually at the expense of the district.

Blondie

• geevee
    geevee

Keep on the armageddon watch...... more bs to keep R & F mind locked is all

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

Here comes the Kool-Aid.

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

Hi Dozy

Are you sure these sources of yours haven't planted a false rumor on you to confirm that you're on this website?

Just a stray thought.

INQ

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

Haha, Jeeprube.

God I hope you're wrong.... <shudder>

INQ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit