When Did the Strangulation Begin?

by XJW4EVR 15 Replies latest jw friends

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

At what point in time, do you think, that the gripping control began by the GB on the R&F?

I realize that there had always been a control issue with the leadership at Crooklyn that has been documented back to C.T. Russell. However, there always seemed to be a level of autonomy for the local elders and the R&F.

I have thought about it and I can come up with two events that changed the face of the local Cong.

1. The elimination of the Congregation Servant, and the instituion of the Body of Elders.

2. The elimination of public talks originally created by the Elders, and intitution of the WT's outlines.

I would be interested in reading your responses.

• KW13
    KW13

Well the Governing Body didn't always have 'control' for a long time. It was the WBT President and Vice President who were in control. This changed when the Governing Body and the Presidents voted on who should be in 'control'. Read Raymond Franz book!

After this changes (maybe those you mention, dunno...i ain't old enough) will of come around and it was these ones who decided the fate of many.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

I have read Franz's book (it was a few years ago). I seem to recall from CoC, the Fred Franz was against the committee system (please correct me if I am mistaken).

I remember my dad (J-Dub P.O.) stating the the Elder arrangement was instituted to bring the local Cong. in synch with Crooklyn.

• garybuss
    garybuss

You wrote: At what point in time, do you think, that the gripping control began by the GB on the R&F?1917, no question!

• KW13
    KW13
    I seem to recall from CoC, the Fred Franz was against the committee system (please correct me if I am mistaken).

yes but was out voted

• inbyathread
    inbyathread

Russel may have had some control but allowed conscience thought to allow personal decisions. He even went as far as saying that visitors to the memorial could partake and we would'nt chastise them.

The real change was when Rutherford took over. He was the power lover.

• Mary
    Mary

Garybuss said: 1917, no question!

No, no, no, it was in 1919.....because if you divide 3 1/2 times by the circumference of the earth and then add 70 weeks plus 3 days to 1914, it's obvious that it happened in the Fall of 1919.

Seriously, I'd say the strangulation started when Rutherford took over. He was a Nazi bastard who allowed absolutely no discontent with whatever ramblings came out of his drunken mouth........it was all downhill after that.

• juni
    juni

There was always a degree of strangulation. What comes to my mind right now is: I'd say starting in the 90's when they started expanding and building the Patterson estate. That's when the demand for money started and has got out of control. Seems like the money isssue is at the forefront.

Also, them dictating every aspect of your life down to how many pieces of p. towel to use has been within the last 15 yrs. or so. So much control and then saying that if you don't OBEY OBEY OBEY you don't have Jah's favor.

That's emotionally and spiritually abusive.

Juni

• M.J.
    M.J.

All I know is that the bible sez to abstain...from things strangled.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    Juni wrote: I'd say starting in the 90's when they started expanding and building the Patterson estate. That's when the demand for money started and has got out of control. Seems like the money isssue is at the forefront.

I always thought this 'plea' for money was primarily due to the society going to the contribution arrangement for literature, etc and that less was being donated.

Secondarily, that's about the time that the 'worldwide work' program was initiated. I thought the buildings were an aside to demonstrate that the contributions were being utilized for something tangible.

But - I could be wrong. It was just my impression.

-Aude.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit