Toronto Stop Sexual Abuse Walk May 21 Update

by morrisamb 10 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

Get in Step to Help Stop Child Sexual Abuse Inaugural Toronto walk to raise awareness, funds on May 21, 2006,

Nathan Phillips Square. Toronto, April 17, 2006- The most extensive study of child sexual abuse conducted in Canada revealed that 53% of adult women and 31% of men were sexually abused as children. Emmy award winning Canadian actress Joanne Vannicola is passionate about helping raise awareness for this cause. She is taking to the streets of Toronto with the non-profit organization she founded called Youth Out Loud, and a call to citizens to step out and help raise funds and awareness about sexual violence against youth. "Enough silence. Enough secrecy. It's time to bring this issue out of the darkness and publicly speak out for all our youth to see", says Joanne. Her quest began just over 10 years ago, after she was cast in the CBS

television docudrama, Ultimate Betrayal. She was playing the daughter

of Sharon Simone, a survivor of abuse who went public with her story

and co-founded the National Race to Stop the Silence, an annual run in

Washington, DC that raises awareness and funds for child sexual abuse. Simone was so impressed by Vannicola's performance that she contacted

her and the two women began a dialogue that led to Vannicola's

participation at the U.S. event conducting drama workshops for

survivors. This led to the founding of Youth Out Loud, an organization

dedicated to raising awareness for this issue and to planning the walk

in Toronto. The first Walk to Stop the Silence - Stop Child Sexual Abuse, will take

place in Toronto on Sunday, May 21, 2006 at Nathan Phillips Square.It's

hosted by Joanne Vannicola and Jill Andrew. Registration begins at 11

am, there's a special presentation at noon and the walk begins at 1

pm. Guests include outspoken abuse survivor and author, Donald D'Haene,

Shaila Kibria and the Raging Asian Women Taiko Drummers. Dr. Michael

Irving, whose bronze monument honouring survivors of abuse to be

unveiled at the Air Canada Centre, will also be speaking and will offer

people a chance to add their own hand prints to be enclosed in the

finished sculpture. There will also be the Youth Out Loud art tent featuring writing and

art by young people, a hands-on area for people to add their own voices

and images in a special Notebook for Survivors and art making in the

square for survivors and friends. There will also be musical guests, a

relaxing massage corner, as well as community tables for such groups

as: B.L.I.N.G , SKETCH and Sheena's Place. Proceeds from the walk will benefit three organizations: Toronto Child

Abuse Centre, Central Toronto Youth Services and Youth Out Loud. "Child sexual abuse takes away a person's childhood and can put them in

constant danger in or around their own homes, at risk and afraid of the

very people who are supposed to protect them," says Vannicola. "With

this event, we're encouraging people to speak out in the hopes that we

can help raise awareness and put an end to this epidemic." Youth Out Loud, founded in 2004 by Joanne Vannicola a not-for-profit

organization for youth to express their personal, social and political

ideas and experiences through writing, art, theatre and much more.

Current projects include The Walk to Stop the Silence and the

collecting of youth stories for an anthology about race, class, gender,

abuse and other issues. An anthology of survivor stories is also being

planned. For more information, registration and pledge forms, please visit:

www.youth-out-loud.org Joanne Vannicola, Director

Youth Out Loud & The Walk To Stop The Silence Stop Child Sexual Abuse!

• Gadget
    Gadget

Unfortunately I fly home from Toronto on Saturday 20th so I can't make it! If anyone is in town for this I'm meeting with a few people for dinner on Friday 19th if they would like to come along.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/19/109447/1.ashx

Paul

• Stinger
    Stinger

My wife and I have a song dedicated to the Silent Lambs, called "You Matter" . It is free for downloading from this

http://music.download.com/catherinemanna - song number 4

http://music.download.com/therockscryout - Share with all who are lovers of truth and righteousness.

http://music.download.com/columbiahieghts -instrumentals

I wish we could be there to support, instead our prayers for the Lambs and all of you who are there taking part.

Praise Jehovah....Don't give up on him! He has not given up on you!

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

Thanks for your support guys!

• blondie
    blondie

Those statistics are eye-opening, Donald. How many people think it is an isolated problem not just in the WTS but anywhere.

Those in Toronto and those who can get there, have a wonderful opportunity to advertise that.

Thanks for all you do and I was so happy to see that you were able to get together with some of your siblings and reconnect.

My siblings still believe that pretending it never happened is the road to go and that means pretending I don't exist.

Love, Blondie

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

How sad Blondie that your siblings don't believe you. In my case my siblings were also abused, but I've heard of cases where even fellow victims don't support each other and deny it happened. I still put all the blame for this and the dysfunction of families squarely where it belongs : the molester's head. Unfortunately, and too often, not until peoples' own children are victims do they see the "light". I remember this Witness telling my mother, "you were happy with [my abuser]!" [this is someone who knew we were abused by her husband!!!!!!) Sometimes, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. Mother was publicly reprooved in '73 for not telling the Elders. My mother tried to be positive throughout, and we never discussed the abuse until I went public in '81 and then she gets it for not airing "dirty laundry". Of course, I got it for airing dirty laundry..LOL And damned proud of it too! Hence, my support of the walk.

• blondie
    blondie

Thanks, Donald. The pretending is even more amazing since they were abused themselves and admit it privately. But they deal with it through denial, and I won't play that game. Not that I bring it up in conversation when I meet someone for the first time, or second or third.

But JWs live in the land of Denial or is that LaLa land.

The area I live in has groups that deal with child abuse but they dance around sexual abuse...puts off the people who donate. Somehow it is easier to cope with a child that is bruised and has broken bones than one that has been raped.

Let us know how things go......are there any news items?

Blondie

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

I know what you mean about not bringing it up...I had been going to a chiropractor for a few years, told him I was writing a book. Wouldn't tell him what it was about. "I'll surpise you." So when he bought a copy and started reading it, he told me he almost fell off his chair. He said he can usually tell when someone has been abused.

Honestly the abuse doesn't define me but I never underestimate it's importance in my history and in explaining where I am and who I am today!

I'm with you - usually those who don't do the work (therapy, etc) are those who need it the most. You have come so far, Blondie!

As for updates, I have put a link on the front of my web site www.fatherstouch.com There will be new info, press soon! thanks for asking!

• damselfly
    damselfly

A BTTT for this. Sounds like a well planned event. If I had a way to be there I would.

Dams

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

Thanks Dams..yes, Joanne has worked tirelessly on this event! The hard work will pay off!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit