HELP! For those being shunned, please share your experience

by Victorian sky 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• Victorian sky
    Victorian sky

Hi all, I need your help. I'm writing a book (I know, it sounds so cliche) but I really am about the shunning experiences of people in religions and how this affected them and their family relationships. I need your stories even if you were never a JW. If you would prefer to pm me, I would appreciate it. The questions I need answered are:

Are you da'd or df'ed? How long?

Who shuns you (family members esp) and what reasons did they give?

Have you missed out on family special events as a result, like weddings, funerals, graduations ect?

Do you have family members or friends who refuse to shun you and do they have a relationship with you in secret?

How has your life personally been impacted?

Has the shunning changed you? For better or worse?

Do you think you'll ever go back?

Do you think the practice of shunning is biblical?/Do you think you deserve to be treated this way?

Are you happy now?

Thanks! - V Sky

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Death Threats
    American Daily, OH - 1 hour ago
    ... Are they mutually exclusive? And what about the (dum da dum dum DUM!) Jehovah’s Witnesses? I can’t answer these questions for you. ... Islamists Post Hit List of 'Apostates'“An Egyptian group calling itself the "al-Jama’ah Consultative Council" has sent an e-mail hit list to people deemed 'apostates' yesterday. The group warned that those people on the list who had left the faith would have three days (as of yesterday) to repent or they would be killed. The group also warned that the wives and children of the Muslim apostates were being followed & would be killed. Under Islamic Law, the maximum penalty for apostasy is death.The list includes prominent Muslims living in the West who have spoken out against violent Islamic extremism and intolerance, some still living in Muslim countries, as well as Coptic Christians who have advocated equal treatment in Egypt.” .....Are the “true Christians” the ritual-based people like Catholics and Orthodox, or their cousins, the “faith, fire, and brimstone” folk (protestants)? Are they mutually exclusive? And what about the (dum da dum dum DUM!) Jehovah’s Witnesses?......

• wombat
    wombat

My three kids are all exceptionally popular. A Fireman, a scientist and a university student. All good looking and full of life.

They shun Jehovah's Witnesses. They refuse to acknowledge or greet any of their JW cousins. They will not reply to any invitations to engagement/wedding parties. Their JW cousins are being marginalised as more of them drop out. They are learning what it is like to be shunned.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Hi, I would be happy to help.

My husband and I disassociated almost 2 years ago. We have two kids who lived most of their lives in the WT. We do not have any other family in the Witnesses and have been blessed to all come out around the same time. We were in 12 years. The hardest part was loosing really good friends. We have had to rebuild a support system from the ground up. We lost all our friends in a single day. We had been in the same congregation and nieghborhood for the whole 12 years practically. This hit our son especially hard because he had a friend since birth, he is now 11. And they were like brothers. He cried a lot when we left and this really broke my heart. We had to disasociate because the elders kept coming by and intruding on our family and would not let the matter go as to why we were not attending meetings any longer. My husband was a MS and I was a pioneer. The one big mistake we made was not having a support system prior to leaving the Witnesses. This is something you should have. My son now goes to the same school as his old friend so they talk there. His friend told him as soon as he is old enough and does not have to go to meetings, he will look him up. Which I think is really cute.

By the way, we have Witnesses who live on our street. Two families of them and one is an elder. They SPEED past our home all the time avoiding eye contact. Maybe they think it bothers us? Well, to all you shunners out there - most of us DONT GIVE A DARN about you shunning us. Think of this: you are the one who is on punishment. You cannnot look at or speak to me, yet I am FREE to look at, speak to and enjoy anyones company on the face of the earth that I choose too. I just laugh when I see you avoid me in the supermarket and other places, and you almost run into things trying to bet away from me. My husband feels the same way. We have moved on and now have a better, closer relationship with God, new REAL friends, and a great life!

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I come from a very close family and have been disfellowshipped for 3 months, the first person to be disfellowshipped out of about 20 baptised family members. At the moment my parents and one cousin shuns me. But my other cousins, grandparents and sister do not. Both my grandmothers said they could never shun me and I am always welcome in their houses. Some friends still talk to me and others don't, but that does not bother me, as it taught me about true friendship. I once walked into a shop and a sister that happened to be in there abruptly stopped her conversation with the owner and literally ran out the door. As angry as it made me feel it reinforced that followers of the Watchtower Society are truly blind.

My father is a Circuit Overseer, so my disfellowshipping has been of particular embarrassment to my parents. I spent a lot of time arguing with my mother about Watchtower doctrine and the bible. The transition going from being a devoted believer to loosing faith in the Watchtower Society was very traumatic and my ideas and emotions varied widely. Eventually my parents resigned themselves to the fact that I was no longer a Witness. However they were extremely angry that I allowed myself to be disfellowshipped. They wanted me to sell my house and business and move to another city to avoid being tracked down by the elders. To me that was hypocritical, surely the principle of whether they should or should not shun me exists regardless of whether or not I am announced from a platform. What is most distressing for them at this time is that at the end of 2006 is there 40th anniversary and they planned to have a large celebration. Without me there they no longer feel that can have such family celebrations. Interestingly my mother claims she is not shunning me for being disfellowshipped, but because I have become an angry unbearable person, and that until I take responsibility for my anger she does not want to associate with me. I hold out hope that we will communicate again one day.

My sister started to shun me before I was disfellowshipped, which made sense to me, as if I am ‘apostate’ then why wait for an announcement? When I was disfellowshipped I sent a letter to her and my parents apologizing for my behaviour over the past year but that it was a product of the Post Traumatic Shock Disorder that I was going through. That seemed to reach something in my sister’s heart and just recently she called me saying that she wants to keep in touch.

Most disappointing has been that I have been banned from seeing one of my cousins. We were best friends during our entire lives. Recently she gave birth to a very sick child and I spent many nights visiting them in hospital over the months that he spent there. After the announcement of my no longer being a Jehovah's Witnesses my cousins husband, an elder in my congregation called me and told me I am no longer to see them. My little cousin was recently in hospital again and I was not even told.

My uncle visited me the other day, as I had to do his tax return. It seemed that business is a good excuse for a get together. He was very emotional when he left, and he later told one of my family members that he so wanted to cuddle me and kept remembering when I was just a child. He was torn between treating me how he naturally felt and between how he knows he is supposed to behave (the Watchtower way).

Part of the reason I went out of my way to be disfellowshipped was to help wake my family from the mental prison they are in. I learnt that any amount of reasoning would not open the manipulated mind, but that maybe appealing to their hearts will. So far it seems to be having an affect on some of them. Though the fear of being disfellowshipped was emotionally devastating to me it turned out to be the most wonderful thing to happen and each day I feel more and more alive. I know that over the years fewer and fewer will remain trapped in the organization and it is that hope that sustains me. I feel with great sadness for those disfellowshipped in decades gone by that held out no such hope.

Disfellowshipping is unscriptural and a sign of a cult. In Corinthians it does not say to shun a person, but just to avoid socializing with people that practice wrongdoing. The only scripture about not greeting a person is by John, and the application is to the Antichrist. The Watchtower combines all sorts of minor wrongs as deserving of the treatment the bible says should only be reserved for the Antichrist.

In reality there is no need to formally disfellowship a person. Once a person stops behaving as a Witness they are naturally excluded from social events. When I stopped going to meetings a year before being disfellowshipped I stopped receiving invitations out. When I started to talk against Watchtower doctrine even my closest friends stopped visiting as they did not want their faith shaken. That is why other religious groups have it right when they leave it up to the conscience of the individual to determine who should be socialized with based on their behaviour.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I am not a JW and my husband is an active member. He is not officially under discipline, but is considered "spiritually weak" and possibly a "spiritual endagerment". Shortly after he got in trouble with the elders (again), we ran across a fellow congregation member when we were walking the dog. The woman gave a loud "hello" to the dog, but ignored us!

Are you da'd or df'ed? How long?

Does not apply, see above.

Who shuns you (family members esp) and what reasons did they give?

Congregation members, no reason given. I heard through a third party that a young congregation member was warned off from associating with us, and if she did, she would also be refused at social gatherings.

Have you missed out on family special events as a result, like weddings, funerals, graduations ect?

My husband was not on a wedding guest list. Everyone else in his bible study was.

Do you have family members or friends who refuse to shun you and do they have a relationship with you in secret?

The young girl mentioned above contacts me on occassion, but it is infrequent and always on the sly.

How has your life personally been impacted?

My husband struggles with acceptance. I have a wide enough social network not to be affected. But it is very strange to see shunning in practice.

Has the shunning changed you? For better or worse?

I'm fine. But I do think it is a cruel practice that goes against the grain of natural affection. People are social creatures. We may think that a simple thing like averted eye contact does not affect us, but it does. At a very deep level.

Do you think you'll ever go back?

I'll never join! Such a lack of simple compassion is no mark of any kind of Christianity I ever knew.

Do you think the practice of shunning is biblical?/Do you think you deserve to be treated this way?

No, I think the way that the Jehovah's Witnesses practice shunning is far and above what Paul had in mind. We've all met the flim-flam artists and confidence men who would convince you that your own mother is a werewolf in disguise if they could. These types of people stir dissention wherever they go. When I spot such a person, I avoid them. That's all.

The JW's on the other hand, dish out shunning for every offence, including personal sins that only affect the individual. Drug addicts and depressed people alike are handed the same punishment. This cuts of people at the lowest time if their life from their main means of support. This is plain wrong.

Are you happy now?

Yes.
  • Victorian sky
    Victorian sky

Thank you for your candid experiences. I'm really sorry any of us are going through this. When people study with the JWs they have no idea about the shunning policy, at least if they are well informed they may hopefully make a better decision, that's what I hope to accomplish with this book, I already have a publisher lined up. Also, thanks for the pm's. - Sincerely, V Sky

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

V Sky,

You are correct that we are not told the truth about the shunning policy when we study. I only remembered being told you can be disfellowshipped for immorality. I did not get involved in immorality nor did my husband. We only wanted to not be JWs any longer. But they do not let you get out with any kind of dignity. You loose everything. I could not undertand this because they treat so-called worldy people with respect. So if someone decides to be a worldly person again and not a Witness, why do they not get any respect? We were not renouncing our belief in God or Jesus or the bible in any way. We just did not want to be a part of the organized religion known as the Watchtower. Your book is going to share the truth about what happens when you leave and you will help thousands of people BEFORE they get involved with the Witnesses and God will bless you for that. Lilly

• datsdethspicable
    datsdethspicable

I have a very recent experience for you. I have been dissed for about 11 years. Most my family are dubs.

My nephew just got married, i did the flowers, I was invited. I had no intention on going since i make it a practice to avoid witnesses as much as possible. My sibling asks if I am going I say no I am not planning on it. Sibling says go. Says to bring my husband or guest.

I and my kids worked our asses off getting the flowers done. So come wedding day I really didn't want to go. I had a funny feeling it was going to turn out bad. So I am at the wedding, the stares begin and the shunning too....my guest whispers to me" what is going on, why are they acting like that" she is aware of witness practices not one herself tho. giving the short part of the story....come the reception I help decorate a little, We sit down to eat, my sibling comes to me and says I have to leave or certain won't stay because of me. Mind you I put up with the dubs under breath comments What is she doing here? Who invited her? and some other things not nice to say and their ugly looks and sour self-righteous faces....but when I was told to leave was the worse...some old cow said Here, here!!! plus that long walk out someone said, Its about time!!!! My friend was shocked, she couldn't believe how hateful a group people could be.

Needless to say they gave a witness all right. There were other people there not witnesses that come to later and told me some things that were said and that they were sorry for me.

So for those of you lurkers that were at this event. I really had no intention of going. I really didn't want to go. I would have rather stayed home. But that taught me a lot about your religion and my poor disfunctional family.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit