One of them JW Funerals

by mbn36 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• mbn36
    mbn36

A couple of months ago I attended a funeral with my wife at the local kingdom hall for my uncle. Its the 1st funeral I've been to and 1st kingdom hall in 5 years. I was a JW for 17 years and now I'm a Chrisitan.

I had an aykward(probably not spelled right) experience, I got this nervous feeling like I wasn't welcome even though no one but my parents knew of my straying path. Lets just say I was disappointed about the whole event, I was still in shock of my uncles death but just the way everything was said by the elder giving the eulogy. He talked about my uncles life for about 4-5 minutes. They were talking about his family and life, there were chuckles, laughs and cries of joy from our family as we reminisced about the trips we would take together.

Then for the next 30-40 minutes he gave this boring talk about JW beliefs and how my uncle knew what they believed. Well no sh*t he was a JW. But he tried to say he was an excellent brother and that well Jehovah will have to look at his time sheets to see if he is resurrected. How can they subscribe to this stuff? Well your loved one died ummmmmm he should be coming back in the next life, were not too sure yet but he'll get another chance to show GOD he is loyal.

Whats this life, a practice round?

What did Christ die for then? I thought he was made a mockery of, for what? Time slips and watchtower mag placements........

I knew in my later days as a dub I was missin something very special, didn't know what it was yet, but the relationship with Christ is what I needed and its exactly what I didn't see in any of the witnesses. All they could say is that THEY(only the witnesses) have hope my uncle will be back and thats it. Someone so boldly pointed this out to my wife.

The event was cold and just left me feeling my uncle was cheated and everyone in there was as well, whats a funeral if we don't celebrate the persons life!

I just think its sad so many lives are wasted on this crap, I pray God will have mercy and that somehow they can be a part of his plan.

Ciao and thanks for listening to my rant.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Yep.

Sorry for your loss mbn.

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

Sorry about your loss. Sounds exactly like the funeral for my aunt a few years ago.

What drove me crazy about the JW's is everything they do turns into a talk about the watchtower.

The prayers at the assemblies always iritated me the most because they ended up being a review talk of the assembly.

• zeroday
    zeroday

A couple of years ago we had an elderly sister (74) in our hall die. She pioneered up to her death. An absolutely beautiful person in all ways. The PO gave the memorial talk. He had known her for over 40 years, been in the same congo. You would think from that prospective he would give a very personal and touching talk about this person. He just went to his file cabinet and pulled out the official memorial talk. I was shocked, just like you he spent maybe 5 minutes on her life and the rest spewing out JW doctrine. I don't know why I should have been suprised.

• garybuss
    garybuss

(The Watchtower, Oct. 15, 1952, p.639)
    Questions from Readers
    But dedicated Christians arrange for a witness to the truth at the funeral. This is taking advantage of an opportunity.
    These funeral occasions afforded great opportunities for a witness concerning the Kingdom and Messiah, and that is what funeral occasions are being used for by many of Jehovah's witnesses in these days, and extensive witnesses are being given both by the funeral discourse and by other brothers in attendance at such funerals.

(The Watchtower, June 15, 1950, p.192)
    But consecrated Christians arrange for a witness to the truth at the funeral. This is taking advantage of an opportunity.

(Yearbook 1970, p.139)
    Country Reports (Part One)
    Though most people would never think of attending a meeting of the Witnesses, no fewer than 185 attended the funeral, the highest attendance ever for a talk by Jehovah's witnesses.

(The Watchtower, Oct 15, 1990, p.31)
    Questions From Readers
    Unbelieving relatives, neighbors, or business associates attending the funeral of a Christian have been favorably impressed by the large number of Witnesses present and thus have been more receptive to the Biblical truths presented.

(The Watchtower June 1 1977, p.346)
    Mourning and Funerals-For Whom?
    There is also the matter of giving a witness to Bible truths. Usually a funeral is attended by neighbors, acquaintances, business associates and relatives, who may not be believers.

• feelinsketchy
    feelinsketchy

Very sorry for your loss mbn

One of the points you mentioned touched a nerve with me. That being the mockery made of Christs sacrifice. I've always thought that if I was Jehovah and sent my most precious son to die for all of mankind, I would be bitterly disappointed, even cheated, if only 6 million of my children were saved. According to Ted Jaracz its more like 1.2 million that are worthy.

It's as if the doctrine believed by JW's is like the views of Nazi's. They are the chosen and the rest of humanity are just vermin to be exterminated. This superior view pervades every aspect of their lives from birth to death. Once again my sincerest condolences.

• Gregor
    Gregor

(posted before, but, I think it is appropriate)

My dear old uncle was rather eccentric when it came to being tight with a nickel. He had plenty of money because he never spent it. Never bought anything 'new' - cars, clothes, tools, you name it. He also liked to check out the dumpsters behind stores, like he would find moldy cheese still in the package. He would rinse it with vinegar and eat it, etc.

Once he found a box of 8 1/2 X 11 heavy paper in bright florescent colors, green, yellow, pink and so forth. On one side various words like SALE! or CLEARANCE! or SUPER VALUE! were printed in big black letters at the top so the store could write in the price, etc. with a heavy marker. This paper had never been written on.

A very much loved older sister died and he was asked by the family to give the memorial service. The Hall was packed. Because the reading glasses he got at the second hand store didn't work very well he had to hold his notes up. I felt like crawling under my chair when, you guessed it, he had written his notes on the back of his florescent paper with the above words facing the audience.
    IP: 7j62UPuHiaqpVYvT
  • love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Gregor--that's gross but amusing at the same time.

• blondie
    blondie

I wonder if they go off the outline when it is a GB member? Has anybody been to a GB funeral?

• limbogirl
    limbogirl

mbn36: so sorry about the loss of your uncle. I agree with you, jw funerals are pretty awful...void of any feeling at all. And non-jws don't attend those funerals to hear the jw drivel...they attend out of respect for the deceased. this is another example of how disrespectful jws are in general. I've now been to several non-jw funerals (usually wasn't allowed to go when I was a jw) and I've been so taken aback by the crying, laughing, reminiscing, etc that goes on...it's truly beautiful and a celebration of one's life. That's how I want to be remembered. Blondie: I'm curious also about GB funerals and if they are as "modest" as the typical jw funeral. perhaps you could start a new thread on this? would be interested to hear if anyone has been to one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit