Eye opener!

by LaCatolica 6 Replies latest jw friends

• LaCatolica
    LaCatolica

Last summer, my 6-year-old niece came to visit me from NY. Mind you, we are Catholics and my husband and his family are JWs. I went to visit my inlaws and my husbands 6-year-old niece was there too. I thought great, a playing buddy for my niece. I had just recently found out that they were all JWs and didn't know a lot of their little "rules". I have a tattoo on my ankle, the little girl noticed it and said that Jehovah doesn't like tattoos. I gave her a look and shrugged it off. They day went on and my niece and I went home.

At bedtime, my niece asked me, "Auntie, who is Hohova?" I asked, "who?" She repeated, "Hohova, Lily told me about him." I repeated, "Oh, you mean, Jehovah." Then I asked, "what did she tell you about that?"...My niece said, "well, Lily sneezed and I said, "bless you" and she went, 'Ooohhh, you can't say that, Jehovah don't like that'." So, who's Jehovah, auntie". She went on to tell me that Lily had told her that Jehovah don't like it if she goes to birthdays either. And here's my little niece, scared thinking she's done something horribly wrong. I tried to explain things to her in the simplest way possible, but it was hard. My niece had just finished her kindergarten grade at her Catholic school. So, imagine. I called Lily's mother and told her what had happened. All she told me was that she would give me a booklet to read about that. I didn't want a booklet, I wanted her to tell daughter to not talk to my niece about her religion. Cause we sure don't go around telling anyone things about ours. No, instead I noticed a sense of pride...as if she was proud of what her daughter had done.

One time, my niece and I had to stop by my inlaw's house before going to a birthday party. We were all dressed up and the little girl asked me where we were going...I told her that we were going to a birthday party...she said, "How come you guys go to parties, don't you know Jehovah"...I said, "Well, he has nothing to do with going to a birthday party"

I read the booklet and found out the many rules and forbidden things for JWs. All I have to say is this, they sure know how to take the FUN out of life!

• greendawn
    greendawn

Indeed they have a mindset for rules, their leaders just like the Pharisees like to make a lot of rules with which to burden their members and they prohibit even innocent things such as Christmas and Birthdays. That is more similar to a Judaic rather than a Christian attitude, their emphasis is on salvation through works.

• juni
    juni

Hi LaCatalica,

Yes they sure do know how to be kill joys. And you're right. That JW mom was pleased w/her 6 yr. old witnessing to yours. That was a good reply to her that you made.

Take care.

Juni

• Nellie
    Nellie

In most arenas of life, JWs are taught to separate themselves from others. With that in mind, most things that non-witnesses take for granted, JWs choose not to participate in.

You won't be able to stop your husband's niece from witnessing, but what you can teach her (and your own niece) is tolerance. Even while active in the organization, I refused to let my children demean anyone who practiced differently than we did. (That's probably why we're out today - I never accepted the "snobbish" attitudes most had.) Anyway, when she says things like: "Jehovah doesn't like this or that." You can say, something like "I know your parents taught you to believe that, but we believe differently." She's six - there's not much more that you can say.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

i bet that "sister" is like... wow! "What an experience..i can read it now "A witness child coverts a catholic family" something i could relate to the circuit overseer and get printed in the Kingdom Minitry or the Yearbook.

• Woofer
    Woofer

The mother probably had the daughter count her "time" for informal witnessing.

• Legolas
    Legolas

Oh yes Lily's mother would have been proud!

I hope you gave your niece an extra hug and said that Hohova is their 'imaginary' troll that lives in a rat hole somewhere!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit