Input from Christians requested on JWs not partaking

by Brigid 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Brigid
    Brigid

Greetings,

This is a new concept for me that I keep running into with all of the discussion regarding the memorial: The fact that the Jehovah's Witnesses make a yearly ritual (their only ritual) of NOT partaking of the symbolic flesh of Christ. Can any Christians comment on the importance in the Christian faith of partaking in this? And why, would JW's feel the need to build up this rite to have people "pass" it up.

I know, ad nauseum the JW explanation of the two class system--the earthbounders need not apply, but it seems something far more (dare I say) subconsciously sinister is at play here.

I believe very strongly in the subconscious training and manifesting power of ritual. This feels like a very strange thing to do in a religion (Christianity) whose whole doctrine and very existence centers around this one rite that commences and relives a covenant with their god to place people in an observer/denial stance. Very, very strange indeed that the witnesses would have people pass it up.

Thank you in advance,

~Brigid

edited to add: ALSO, Jesus says "keep doing this in remembrance of me". To my mind, Jesus at that point, at least (and I believe up to the time of his death) was Jewish. He was celebrating Passover. The memorial looks nothing even slightly akin to a Passover Seder.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hi Brigid,

I think that's a very good question.

To me the whole memorial ritual, as "celebrated" from Rutherford's invention of the "two-class" system in the mid-1930's, is a powerful reminder to the vast majority of JWs of their absolute dependence on the organisation. There is something "magical" going on with a chosen few (usually nobody real in most congregations nowadays) to which everybody else has no direct access but which they must acknowledge, in respect and obedience. This is a terribly unpowering symbol.

• Brigid
    Brigid
    This is a terribly unpowering symbol

Yes, that's what it feels like--very devaluing to the human spirit. Not that eating a piece of matzoh makes you holy but not participating in the ritual built up around it is detrimental, I think. I think you nailed it--keeps a mindset of dependence and worth only coming from the publishing corporation. They even place themselves above god.

~Brigid

• robhic
    robhic
    Can any Christians comment on the importance in the Christian faith of partaking in this?

I'm not sure this is exactly what you want, but I was raised catholic before I became the heathen scum that I am today. Never was a JW.

Anyway, after a catholic child makes their "First Communion" (somewhere around 2nd grade if I remember correctly) they are then allowed to receive "communion" which is the unleavened wafer that (supposedly) is jesus' body. It's been a loooooooong time since I went thru this voodoo myself, and the wine wasn't even part of the deal back then. It is now, but I don't know if there is an age-limit on giving it to children...

Catholics can actually receive communion every day of the week! The churches usually have services (mass) every day, sometimes multiple times and then the many services on Sunday. You can only "partake" (borrowing a term...) once a day and (at least it used to be) only after fasting for at least an hour (can't have jeebus' "body" mixing in with some cheap, instant breakfast food!). Way back when I was a kid you couldn't eat from 12:00 midnight the day before receiving communion! It made going to the masses later in the day a real ordeal. Technically, you can eat christ's body 365 days a year!!!!

So I would say "yes" it is a big deal for catholics. They have a whole big-deal ceremony to induct children into being able to partake. It is viewed with much ceremony and seriousness and getting communion at a mass is a central activity of the service.

• Brigid
    Brigid
    So I would say "yes" it is a big deal for catholics. They have a whole big-deal ceremony to induct children into being able to partake. It is viewed with much ceremony and seriousness and getting communion at a mass is a central activity of the service.

I would think it would be a big deal, myself if I were Christian. It is literally taking in the body of your god for...what? Your Salvation (can't remember)? Why do witnesses pass on it? Is it you have to take that in to go to heaven? but not necessarily salvation?

I'm so confused.

~Brigid

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

I can only speak for myself, but taking communion a couple of times a month is like a spiritual battery charge. It's a meditative time to elevate oneself from this mundane world - reconnect with the Creator. For me I am able to tackle the crappyness of the World one more week by remembering I am a child of God, He is in control and life is but a journey of discovery. Now others may believe differently....that's ok, whatever. The Christian communion, however practiced is always a positive experience. To pass and not partake of the emblems is silly and a waste of time and ignores what it was designed for - communion between God and mankind. Why don't JWs just "phone it in" and save gas.

• robhic
    robhic
    ... It is literally taking in the body of your god for...what? Your Salvation (can't remember)? Why do witnesses pass on it? Is it you have to take that in to go to heaven? but not necessarily salvation?

I don't really know why JWs pass on it, but catholics do take communion because 1) jesus said to do it in the bible and 2) it is sort of a requirement, if I remember correctly.

You have to have communion at least once a year, go to confession once and possibly something else but I don't remember. If you don't, it is a problem in the eyes of the catholic church.

As an aside -- as an altar boy all those long years ago, I and the others used to eat the non-consecrated (before the priest blessed them) wafers and sneak a mouthful of wine sometimes before the priest got to the service. It was so cool to be 10-14 years old and drinking wine!

I think it was / is supposed to be sinful but almost 40 years later and old jeebus hasn't dealt with me yet! Maybe he doesn't really care afterall...

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Hi Brigid

Another ex-catholic here! I was reading through the thread and it occured to me that there may be a loose similarity between only the anointed JW's partaking and RC practice in the middle ages. Back then, the bread and wine were considered by the laity to be too holy for them, so often only the priest would end up taking them while everyone else just watched the proceedings with reverence and awe. Imho this is partly why the clergy became more 'seperated' from the laity - the clergy had power to forgive sins, turn bread and wine into the very flesh and blood of Christ and to partake of it.

Later the church passed a law which robhic mentioned, requiring Catholics to receive communion at least once a year (during Eastertide) - but you have to be relatively free from sin to receive, hence you have to go to confession too.

When I first attended a memorial, I asked what they do with the bread and wine after, since nobody partakes and they said "we put it in the bin" I was quite shocked! I questioned as to whether that was the correct way to treat emblems which have just symbolised Jesus' body and blood, do they stop symbolising it as soon as the service ends? I thought they would treat it with a little more respect - say bury it or burn it. They were equally surprised because they hadn't really thought about it like that before.

• Shining One
    Shining One

Brigid,
    It is a mockery of Christ. All of those alleged Christians and practically none partaking! This and baptism symbolizes our remembrance of the Lord and honors His ultimate sacrifice as our blessed redeemer. It is not to be taken for granted and it is not to be taken that are not decicated to the savior as our risen Lord. It is not to be taken when we harbor ill feelings with another believer. We are to leave it alone till we have a chance to seek reconsiliation with our brother or sister in Christ.
    Rex

• Shining One
    Shining One

The Catholic church believes in transubstantiation: the actual host turns into the blood and flesh of Christ. Only the priest partakes of the wine. As a protestant I do not believe that happens and it is totally symbolic, just as is baptism.
    Rex

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit