You take someone new to the memorial, and they make fun of it.

by free2beme 16 Replies latest jw friends

• jstalin
    jstalin

My JW friend invited me to the memorial last year, so I decided to go. He knows full well that I'm an atheist, but I've told in him the past that other people's beliefs interest me. So I went. I thought it was a joke. I was love-bombed on the way in and the whole event was just creepy. Everyone was dour and it wasn't much of a celebration at all. And the elder who spoke was jumping around to 10 different bible passages, all of which were completely disconnected, in trying to make his point about the 144,000. Can't they just stick to one passage or story?

I was raised Catholic and Easter and Christmas are pretty exciting times to go to mass, but the memorial was boring and creepy.

• Abbadette
    Abbadette

And so they should! DARE : go to a memorial tonight and eat the biscuits and drink the wine then say "yummy!!! flesh and blood." Abbadette

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Can't they just stick to one passage or story?

LOL! If they did that their entire belief system would collapse within minutes!

W

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Last year was the first time took a step back and looked at the even through the eyes of a non JW. It can be a very strange observance. I find it so amazing that such fundamental pricniple that all christians enjoy the same reward (Matthew 20:1-16) is so eaisly abandoned in order to support the life on earth theory. It seems that nothing will stop the WTS from supporting it's claims that their interpretation is correct. People who have come that i've known have all seen it as kind of strange.

• free2beme
    free2beme

Trying to prove the 144,000 with just one scripture, is impossible, which makes you wonder all the more, "If a belief is suppose to be this difficult to prove, is it real?"

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

I guess that reminds me of a wedding I went to at a church. Cant remember which one. But they told the people to line up for the bread and the wine, and said if you are not a member of their faith, you werent allowed to partake! Kinda made me mad. (not that i would have anyway)

• free2beme
    free2beme
    I guess that reminds me of a wedding I went to at a church. Cant remember which one. But they told the people to line up for the bread and the wine, and said if you are not a member of their faith, you weren't allowed to partake! Kinda made me mad. (not that i would have anyway)

I remember a nonbeliever at our Kingdom Hall once partaking of the items. As their faith told them this was right. Well the elders had to count this as a partaker, and in your watchtower that year was an additional person considered anointed. The next year they spoke about explaining to those we invite, who should partake and who should not. They stressed this over and over, and that woman was not even at the memorial the next year. You know, I always felt down deep that they did not have the right to shame that woman for what she did. Either way, I this accounts for a lot of people in that count of partakers each year. As anytime someone partakes, they most be counted. A couple of towns over, there is a whole bunch of people in their 20's and 30's who claim to be anointed. All in one congregation! There is about 6 of them. Used to be more, but they moved away or got disfellowshipped. People in the congregation always thought they were full of crap, and wished the elders who disfellowship them, but they did not do anything wrong. Saying your anointed at a young age, is not a disfellowshipping event. Personally, even if I felt anointed, I would not want to eat that nasty looking bread.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit