Another Memorial Post -- with question

by robhic 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• robhic
    robhic

I have a friend (JW) who has severe Multiple Sclerosis so bad that she is essentially confined to a bed. Now, she has one of those electric "Chrstopher Reeves-looking" wheelchairs but requires someone (usually her sons or brother -- not JW) to physically pick her up and put her in it.

She hasn't been to a memorial in a couple of years, since her condition got so bad. She told me the other night that some of the congregation are gonna bring her to the one this Wednesday the 12th. I said "yeah, right" because they've been not too reliable, shall we say, when making promises of any type, even simple things, in the past. This would be the most difficult one yet, so we'll see.

She said they were going to get her a bed or reclinable surface for use. I asked why they weren't going to take her wheelchair and she said because it is too heavy. She has a regular chair, too, they could use but she said they were going to get the bed thing. I can't believe they couldn't get a couple of men using a pickup truck to do it. It only weighs about 200 lbs. And the regular chair is about 30 lbs. It makes no sense in either case.

But my main question is about transferring her to and from the chair, bed and vehicle. How are male JWs going to be able to touch the body of a single JW female to move her? Isn't there some prohibition about something like this? I mean, they're not supposed to even be in a car together, how could actual touching and picking up and carrying her be OK? Her sons or brother won't be going. Again, we'll see.

I told her why didn't jehovah just swoop down and move her wheelchair for her on his way to the memorial but she got pissed and hung up on me. Imagine that!

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

No, bros can touch sisters in order to help them. It is just the whole, if you touched them in a sexual way. There was an old sis. in the cong. I went to and she had severe MS and they carried her around all the time. She was so fragile that the bros said they would rather carry her from her wheel chair to the car, because a couple of times she fell out of her chair. They were afraid that some knucklehead wheeling her around would not strap her in and she would fall out again.

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor
    I told her why didn't jehovah just swoop down and move her wheelchair for her on his way to the memorial but she got pissed and hung up on me. Imagine that !

I hate to tell you this, but you really had it coming. I mean just because you don't share their beliefs and given that she hadn't provoked you in anyway, I don't see why you should expect to get away with your snide remark. You obviously wanted a reaction, so you got one. What did you think she was gonna say to you? "Haha, you're so right. My God is such an incompetent SOB! You know, I find your sense of humour so clever and astute"?

INQ

• robhic
    robhic
    I told her why didn't jehovah just swoop down and move her wheelchair for her on his way to the memorial but she got pissed and hung up on me. Imagine that !

I hate to tell you this, but you really had it coming.

Oh, I agree completely. In fact, I expected no less. Let's just say it was my snide little way of firing a quick volley back at a source that is always hitting me over the head with jehovah's righteous indignation. I get it all the time and hear all the wonders of jehovah (and especially his appointees in her local congregation).

They can do no wrong! I guess that's pretty easy because they generally don't do anything at all so doing wrong doesn't get done ... just like doing right. Yep, they're not selective in their ineffectiveness. That's why I really want to see them go to the lengths that will be required to tote this poor woman to the hall. They've never done it before. Offered, but never actually done it...

• rebel8
    rebel8

hmmm.....I don't think the question is all that far fetched, even if it was meant to be a joke. Here in WT NY State, touching members of the opposite sex was not allowed under any circumstances. The following is from the Youth book. Although it is referring mainly to dating, it reflects the things I was taught growing up about touching of any kind, dating or not.

Because where sexual passion is involved it is all part of a chain of events designed to lead to a specific outcome. The first link is the first touch. The last link is sexual relations, which God’s Word shows is reserved for marriage mates. Everything in between can lead up to that last link of the chain.

I recall an ex-Bethelite saying he was not allowed to be alone in a room with any female even momentarily. Others have mentioned similar things. A significant age difference or disabilities did not change the rule. "Fear of spontaneous sex" was the term used in one thread.

Other congregations may not be as strict....or in this case they may make an exception because there are plenty of chaperones around.

• mathead
    mathead

The youth book talks about masturbation, it says

The LONGER you do it, the HARDER it is to stop

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit