Going to Memorial Service for the first time.....what should we expect?

by whyizit 32 Replies latest jw friends

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I would say be prepared to be so bored that your ready to gnaw your own leg off to get out of their!

Second you should partake I mean jesus did say "eat and drink or else"...

• Justin
    Justin

You will need to decide whether or not you are going to partake of the emblems despite their belief that you should not. Personally, I think as outsiders who are merely visiting, you could reason that it is really their memorial or communion service and, for this reason, the communion is not open to you. Similarly, if you attended Mass at a Catholic Church, you probably wouldn't go forward and receive communion because you are not really welcomed to do so. This would not constitute a rejection of Christ because you are outside of the fellowship which is holding the communion. Even if the speaker states that people are going on record as to what their hope is (i.e., those with a heavenly hope partake and those with an earthly hope do not), this does not apply to you - it is irrelevant as far as you are concerned.

• barry
    barry

Gday Whyisit, When i went to a memorial I was also invited by a JW friend and I also asked my pastor to come along. He said yes after a few days. It actually went very well as the town where I lived is only small so everyone knows everyone else quite well. My ppastor got on well with the elders we were the last ones to leave.Barry

• Mrs.Congeniality
    Mrs.Congeniality

Here is what to expect. I was born and raised a witness 30 years and never missed a memorial. Who ever invited you will go around to everyone at the kingdom hall a week or so before the memorial and tell everyone you may show up. Then they will ask them to please go up to you expecting them to act sweet as pie hoping you will think this is brotherly love. I know because in the past i am guilty of it and so is everyone else who invites someone. If you come to dressed up they will assume you must be very interested and hound you like flies on s--t. They will give a talk then pray over the unleavened bread then pass it around. Everyone will be watching everyone else to see who will partake so they can have something new to talk about in service for the next month. Then they will read some more scriptures, pray, and then passing a glass of wine. Again looking around to see who will and wont partake. More to gossip about. Then the rest of the meeting will be about if you want a bible study anyone there would love to study with you. About living in a paradise, etc. As much info as they can hoping to spark some interest. They will spend maybe half the time going over Jesus and why he died for us then the rest of the time about trying to get the newly intersted ones(YOU) to come back again. They want bible studies!!!!!!!!

Please consider this alot----If you show up they will keep coming around. Just a little warning.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

Just rent "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe"! It's much more entertaining and kind of goes along the story lines about a sacrifice being made to save others....

Swalker

• steve2
    steve2

Want to know what it's really like? Drink the wine and devour the bread and watch the reaction. That should liven things up - at least for the bored-out-of-their-pants JWs.

• Es
    Es

Just a lot of fake people welcoming you with open arms

es

• just2sheep
    just2sheep

my advice would be to go, see what you see, hear what you hear, think what you think about the whole thing. then let us know what you think. and be assured that not one person on this thread who has advised you to partake has ever partaken and it would be considered rude to do so. and it wouldn't cause nearly the buzz that people seem to think, because you are not a witness and no one would take you seriously even if you floated in on a cloud with a chorus of angels singing your praises. this attitude isn't directed at outsiders only. in maybe 25 or 30 memorials i've never seen anyone partake, but if they did, and they were jw they would be considered some kind of crazy person unless they were from new york and were at least 85 years old. so go, enjoy if possible, and please let us know your thoughts.

j2s

• SuzieQ
    SuzieQ

Wow, all of you are very honest. I think you can believe all of the advice already given. I'm very impressed. I've always felt a great big huge let down after the memorial. . . . especially after going each and every year for 30 plus years. Raise as a JW, it was so boring, meaningless and unfulfilling. Unless you like to live like a slug, think like a robot, feel like a puppet and completely empty yourself of yourself. Or maybe I was just depressed all those years. But all who have the desire and curiosity, should attend the Kingdom Hall Memorial if someone they cherish has asked them to do so. Judge for yourself. Faithfully yours, DM1307

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Great posts; most everything is consistent with my experience I wrote about. There is probably more but I have simply forgotten about it. George Bush (daddy) was in the White House the last time I went to a Memorial. They haven't changed one bit; all boredom all the time!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit