Gospel of Judas released

by Ticker 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Ticker
    Ticker

Wasn't sure if this was already posted but it caught my eye as todays news headlines. Here is the news release on it.

Friday, Apr 07, 2006

Ancient text paints Judas as hero

full image
    The 1,700-year-old script is written in Coptic, an ancient Egyptian language. (Associated Press)

(CBC) - Judas, the disciple blamed for betraying Jesus Christ to the Romans, was a hero, a newly released ancient text says.

National Geographic revealed Thursday what it calls the Gospel of Judas, a 1,700-year-old text which reverses the accepted view of the religious villain.

"Jesus Christ asks Judas to betray him to the authorities," National Geographic said in a story about the 26-page text posted on its website.

Desktops: Free Upgrade this week

In the Bible's New Testament Gospels, Judas betrayed Jesus for 30 pieces of silver, and then stricken by remorse, returned the bribe and committed suicide.

But the codex, or ancient book, says Jesus asked Judas to betray him.

In the text, Jesus tells Judas: "'You will exceed all of them. For you will sacrifice the man that clothes me.'"

FREE Memory Upgrade - Dell.ca

In that passage, "Jesus says it is necessary for someone to free him finally from his human body, and he prefers that this liberation be done by a friend rather than by an enemy," said Rodolphe Kasser, a clergyman, a former professor at the University of Geneva in Switzerland and head of the translation team.

"So he asks Judas, who is his friend, to sell him out, to betray him. It's treason to the general public, but between Jesus and Judas, it's not treachery."

The text is expected to be controversial because it contradicts nearly 2,000 years of Christian thought.

National Geographic said in the early days of Christianity there were competing doctrines, and the codex probably reflects the thinking of the Gnostics, a group that hid its writings when they were denounced by the established church.

The manuscript was mentioned around AD 180 by Bishop Irenaeus of Lyon, who called it fictitious.

"Let a vigorous debate on the significance of this fascinating ancient text begin," Rev. Donald Senior, president of the Catholic Theological Union of Chicago, told the Associated Press.

The text, written in Coptic script, is believed to be a translation of an original Greek text written by Christians before AD 180.

It was found in Egypt in the 1970s, and an antique dealer tried to sell it several times, including to Yale University. But Yale declined, doubting its provenance.

The codex was finally transferred to the Maecenas Foundation for Ancient Art, based in Basel, Switzerland, which worked with the National Geographic Society and the Waitt Institute for Historical Discovery in California to restore, translate and publish the book.

The University of Arizona carbon-dated five tiny samples of papyrus and leather binding to between AD 220 and AD 340, and other tests backed up that conclusion.

Pages were put on display at the National Geographic Society's headquarters in Washington, which has also published Coptic and English versions of the text. The codex will later be sent to Egypt.

© the CBC, 2006

Rather Interesting.

Ticker

• Ticker
    Ticker

Sorry it cut off the first sentance for some reason. Here it is again without the pictures.

Friday, Apr 07, 2006

Ancient text paints Judas as hero

(CBC) - Judas, the disciple blamed for betraying Jesus Christ to the Romans, was a hero, a newly released ancient text says.

National Geographic revealed Thursday what it calls the Gospel of Judas, a 1,700-year-old text which reverses the accepted view of the religious villain.

"Jesus Christ asks Judas to betray him to the authorities," National Geographic said in a story about the 26-page text posted on its website.

In the Bible's New Testament Gospels, Judas betrayed Jesus for 30 pieces of silver, and then stricken by remorse, returned the bribe and committed suicide.

But the codex, or ancient book, says Jesus asked Judas to betray him.

In the text, Jesus tells Judas: "'You will exceed all of them. For you will sacrifice the man that clothes me.'"

In that passage, "Jesus says it is necessary for someone to free him finally from his human body, and he prefers that this liberation be done by a friend rather than by an enemy," said Rodolphe Kasser, a clergyman, a former professor at the University of Geneva in Switzerland and head of the translation team.

"So he asks Judas, who is his friend, to sell him out, to betray him. It's treason to the general public, but between Jesus and Judas, it's not treachery."

The text is expected to be controversial because it contradicts nearly 2,000 years of Christian thought.

National Geographic said in the early days of Christianity there were competing doctrines, and the codex probably reflects the thinking of the Gnostics, a group that hid its writings when they were denounced by the established church.

The manuscript was mentioned around AD 180 by Bishop Irenaeus of Lyon, who called it fictitious.

"Let a vigorous debate on the significance of this fascinating ancient text begin," Rev. Donald Senior, president of the Catholic Theological Union of Chicago, told the Associated Press.

The text, written in Coptic script, is believed to be a translation of an original Greek text written by Christians before AD 180.

It was found in Egypt in the 1970s, and an antique dealer tried to sell it several times, including to Yale University. But Yale declined, doubting its provenance.

The codex was finally transferred to the Maecenas Foundation for Ancient Art, based in Basel, Switzerland, which worked with the National Geographic Society and the Waitt Institute for Historical Discovery in California to restore, translate and publish the book.

The University of Arizona carbon-dated five tiny samples of papyrus and leather binding to between AD 220 and AD 340, and other tests backed up that conclusion.

Pages were put on display at the National Geographic Society's headquarters in Washington, which has also published Coptic and English versions of the text. The codex will later be sent to Egypt.

© the CBC, 2006

Ticker

• jojochan
    jojochan

The text is expected to be controversial because it contradicts nearly 2,000 years of Christian thou

....damn..... I can't WAIT to read that!

jojochan.

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

I saw this yesterday as well. It certainly raises some questions. My wife and I had just had some really good discussions about Judas around 2 weeks ago. In particular was Judas forgiven? I think he was.

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

This "new" disclosure of information should cause a lot of the "know-it-alls" to rethink and listen to HISTORY before they make a story up and go with it. I wonder what twist the "better people" will put on it?........I think all of you regular posters know what I am talking about.

• Masterji
    Masterji

Then, why did Judas hang himself?

• Shining One
    Shining One

LOL. The undermining attempts by the fringe loonies never ends...
    Rex

• DavidChristopher
    DavidChristopher

I have been waiting to read this! "Satan entered Judas"? So was Satan and God partners in a bigger plan too?

I can see it now. Satan would have have had to the most faithful of all to agree to a plan which meant he would be blamed for everything and even posibly condemned by God, for doing what he was asked to do BY God. Would the GB do that? Would you?

Perhaps The Judas and Jesus relationship and agreement is an example of God and Satan's arrangment in this master plan we are trying to figure out. Maybe if people can no longer blame Satan for everything, perhaps they will take another look and try to face and overcome their own shortcomings.

If this is somehow proven alot of "leaders" are going to be forced to back up and punt. I would love to see that. IMO

• Narkissos
  • anewme
    anewme

My mother in law says that Judas was murdered by Jesus' zealous followers. That the story of him hanging himself is a cover for their murder.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit