A brief summary of life as one of JW's

by Angst 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• Angst
    Angst

thank you Stacey and Individual's Wife! I appreciate your comments and encouragement. The ex-witnesses I am in communication with are family and they are very hateful towards the witnesses.

I was born and raised a witness. By the time I was four my parents had me saying, "I want to go to Bethel" to the brothers and sisters because they thought it was cute. By the age of seven a circuit overseer was so impressed with my reading skills that he personally signed me up for the theocratic school and assigned me my first bible reading at a circuit assembly in Chicago. Talk about a traumatic experience! By the age of 14 I was baptized. At age 18 I began pioneering after graduating from high school. As soon as I turned 19 my dad (the presiding overseer) handed me a bethel application and told me to fill it out. Being the good little son that I was I filled it out and was accepted a few months later.

Once at bethel I was assigned to the cleaning department. I had a flat top hair cut at the time and I got the distinct feeling that upon entering bethel that they were trying to get rid of me. They had me cleaning toilets for several months. Then they had me stripping waxed floors with highly poisonous strippers. Many elders at Bethel talked to me about my flat top haircut, telling me that they just didn't feel it was a suitable style to wear "in God's house". I didn't give in to their pleas and kept my hair style.

During my stay at Bethel I noticed quite quickly that beer flowed freely. Being underage and drinking at bethel is quick grounds for dismissal. Well, suffice it to say I began drinking beer with my buddies, many of whom were of age but didn't care if I drank with them. I even began to buy beer from local grocery stores (no one ever carded me). One Monday night after the "family" watchtower study I had a little get together with seven of my buddies where my roommate and I provided the beer. For some odd reason (some will probably say it was heavenly direction) the night watchman stopped by my room and asked us what we were doing. I knew him so I let him in (stooopid me!). The following morning all seven us were in elders meetings for the whole day. The following day all seven of us were asked to leave Bethel and I was publicly reproved.

Here's the clincher! That Friday at "morning worship" the brother conducting it out and out lied about why we were sent home. He stated that seven brothers had been excused from bethel for partaking in a satanic ritual. After one year and seven months of gruelling service at bethel I got the boot. My service to Jehovah diminished quickly. I just couldn't muster the same zeal I used to have.

Bethel, Schmethel!

• Angst
    Angst

What? 24 times so far that this thread was read and no one cares to comment?

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

how's this?

that really sucks... bastards!

Path (lol.. sorry)

• blondie
    blondie

Angst, well, at least you only invested 1 year and seven months of your life at Bethel....many invested much more before they left disillusioned or were asked to leave.

I'm sorry for the double standard you were subjected to. But I think now you will be motivated to make your own decisions. Wow, are your parents still dictating your life choices to you? I hope not.

Now you are out and now you can take charge of your life to the extent any of us can...have to take into consideration the other 6 billion plus on this planet who have a slight effect on us (smile).

• Angst
    Angst

My parents no longer affect my decisions. My mother though everytime she calls me throws something in about the truth whether I want to hear it or not.

Last time she called she said, "I know you probably don't care to hear it but we formed a new congregation"...

Why do Witnesses have to treat former Witnesses so poorly?

• blondie
    blondie

Hey, there are no parts on the Service Meeting, "How to have a casual, friendly conversation with a non-witness without the view of converting them." After all, what would you talk about? If they are not worshiping Jehovah, what do you have in common with them? "Worldly" people are so demonized that JWs just avoid them (except in field service to get their time in)(just a little sarcasm there)

Of course, Angst, I don't know what your "spiritual standing" is, DF'd or DA'd or Faded Away. That has some effect as to how JWs will treat someone. Of course, inactive or Faded Away may be treated as if DF'd or DA'd.

If you try to ask anything you will only get a "spiritual" answer designed to "upbuild" you:

Have you been to a movie lately?
    Response: Oh, we don't see movies...all from Satan
    (when you saw them coming out of a theater last week)

Have you seen this TV show?
    Response: Oh, we don't watch TV...we put it in the closet last week
    (when you know that was only the little TV that needs fixing)

Where did you go on vacation?
    Response: Oh, we went to unassigned territory....
    (when you know that was only for 2 days and they spent 1 month in Florida)

Them: So and so lost his wife but he has made all the meetings because that's where Jehovah's spirit...when are you coming to the KH?

Aaargh!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hi Angst,

How long ago did you get the boot from Bethel? I'm just curious. (oops! nevermind - I just read your other thread on "psot WTBTS life".)

Did they ever put their lie (about the satanic ritual) in print? Do your folks know the reality of what happened, or do they believe the lie?

You received shabby treatment from them - as have most (actually, I'll bet *all*, though some may not realize it yet) here.

Welcome, Brother Angst! You're among friends.

"I don't believe in the Trooth Fairy anymore."
  • individuals wife
    individuals wife

Wow, that it is an incredible story - to be able to escape after being so 'prepared' as a youngster is a real achievement.

Everytime I hear of life at Bethel I marvel at how anybody can ever stick being there - it sounds like a nightmare. How you survived over 18 months is a mystery to me! Examples like yours serve as a reminder of why I left...

You asked the question:

Why do Witnesses have to treat former Witnesses so poorly?
    I feel they do this for a whole variety of reasons, all of them unscriptual, but the main reason I believe is fear. Fear that they will be ousted from the congregation. I am continually shunned by many former friends who I know would still speak to me regardless of my religious leanings if it were'nt for the threat of being disfellowshipped. It is certainly a sad state of affairs and I am sure their disgusting conduct is being watched by God and being disapproved of.
  • cyberguy
    cyberguy

When I was in Bethel several decades ago, they made similar dismal announcements, also mentioning that the brothers when doing some kind of demon-thing or sex-thing while drinking. I wonder now if this was just another way to vilify the situation? If they merely claimed some Bethelites were drinking underage, I'm sure that wouldn't have the same effect to Bethel masses.

What I find amusing (in a cynical way), is that I remember the Society being heavily fined ($100K+ for city violations!) for lack of pollution controls on their printing operations. They simply refused to comply with city codes even after being cited. They broke Caesars' laws and they knew they it when they were doing it! And yet none of the bigwigs that approved and allowed those operations to continue were ever disciplined. There's a lot of the crap that goes on there!

As far as drinking is concerned, I always marveled when the dump trucked pulled up in front of the 124 building and you could hear the crashing and smashing of all those bear bottles as the trash was being loaded!

• Angst
    Angst

Cyberguy...that is to true about the clatter of beer bottles being hauled out to the trash.

Nathan Natas...at first I didn't tell my parents. My mother had this twisted idea that I was gay. I ended up moving into an apartment in Brooklyn for awhile til I could figure out what I was going to do. The last thing I was going to do is run home to mommy and daddy.

Blondie...what you say hits the nail on the head. I'm tired of trying to create chit chat that always gets turned into a means for a witness to try to encourage me and/or belittle me for my lack of participation as a witness.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit