If you were applying for a job that involved public speaking...

by DanTheMan 7 Replies latest jw friends

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Would you mention your experience as a student in the TMS during the interview process?

Today I had my second interview for a position that, from time to time, will involve giving presentations to various groups within the company. I know that it's something I can do, but other than a Speech class at Community College that I took probably 5 or 6 years ago, I don't really have any other experience besides the TMS to let them know about.

I was an ace on the Theocratic Ministry School, people really loved it when I gave talks, I was good at it! I always made my talks interesting and informative, and delivered them well.

I'm composing a follow-up email to the guy who I spoke with today, to assure him that I am comfortable with public speaking. I'm so torn whether or not to mention the TMS experience, as it seems like such a risk....

Comments?

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

Maybe you state that you worked with a volunteer group that required public speaking...without having to reveal the source???

Swalker

• garybuss
    garybuss

Never! Don't tell em you're smart, show em.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    Maybe you state that you worked with a volunteer group that required public speaking...without having to reveal the source???

By jove, I think you've got it - i didn't even think of it - Beer's on me

GBuss, they know I'm smart. It's a question of whether I can do what they'll need me to, which is what I'm trying to sell them on.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Hope it goes well. I'd never think of bringing the topic of Jehovah's Witnesses into a job interview unless I didn't want the job.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Hope it goes well

Thanks! It would be pretty sweet if I got this job. I'm trying not to get my hopes too high, but I know I'm at least a finalist, and my phone interview today went really well.

• rebel8
    rebel8
    Would you mention your experience as a student in the TMS during the interview process?

NO!!!

If you must, make up some volunteer work you did or a different church you joined....or say you did consulting on the side that involved presentations...

• MadTiger
    MadTiger
    Hope it goes well. I'd never think of bringing the topic of Jehovah's Witnesses into a job interview unless I didn't want the job.

Sabotage yourself, eh?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit