The Gospel of Judas

by James Free 26 Replies latest watchtower bible

• SickofLies
    SickofLies

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/04/06/gospel.judas.ap/index.html

Ancient text offers revelations about Judas

Manuscript indicates disciple betrayed Jesus -- at his request

WASHINGTON (AP) -- National Geographic unveiled an ancient manuscript Thursday that may shed new light on the relationship between Jesus and Judas, the disciple who betrayed him.

The papyrus manuscript was written probably around 300 A.D. in Coptic script, a copy of an earlier Greek manuscript.

It was discovered in the desert in Egypt in the 1970s and has now been authenticated by carbon dating and studied and translated by biblical scholars, National Geographic announced.

Unlike the four gospels in the Bible, this text indicates that Judas betrayed Jesus at Jesus' request.

The text begins "the secret account of the revelation that Jesus spoke in conversation with Judas Iscariot."

The key passage comes when Jesus tells Judas "you will exceed all of them. For you will sacrifice the man that clothed me."

This indicates that Judas would help liberate the spiritual self by helping Jesus get rid of his physical flesh, the scholars said.

The manuscript was first mentioned in a treatise around 180 A.D. by a bishop, Irenaeus of Lyon, in what is now France. The bishop denounced the manuscript as differing from mainstream Christianity and said it produced a fictitious story.

There were several gospels in circulation at the time in addition to the four in the Bible. When those gospels were denounced, it was thought that believers hid them away.

The gospel of Judas was kept by a group called the Gnostics, who believed that the way to salvation was through secret knowledge given by Jesus to his inner circle.

National Geographic said the author of the gospel of Judas believed that Judas Iscariot alone understood the true significance of Jesus' teachings.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

• Pole
    Pole

mrsjones5 made a good point. If not Judas then Peter or whoever else. The case of Judas makes it clear that the whole concept of OT "prophecies" is flawed.

Danny,

With all due respect - if Judas had never been born, then Jesus would never have been crucified in such a way as to fulfill the "prophecies". I think Jesus got this one wrong ;-).

Pole

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I gave a sneak peek a year and a half ago:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/76809/1.ashx

Bear in mind that some of these pages may well come from another tractate included along with Judas.

• sixsixsixtynine
  • Abaddon
    Abaddon

All this "who was Jesus' best buddy" stuff is like a camp Spartacus (which would be a thing to see)...

"I'm Jesus' bestest friend!"

"No! I am Jesus' best friend!"

Etc., ...

If we're to believe what it might actually mean is true, they're missing the point.

We're ALL Jesus' best buddy.

What next, springtime for Hitler... oh, no, Mel Brookes already did that... how about the senstive, tender side of Torquemada? The celebacy of de Sade? The wit and wisdom of Ronald Raygun?.. oh, someone did that did they? (A blank LP record if I recall)

• Narkissos
  • Rabbit
    Rabbit

Greendawn

That is clearly a gnostic work but why do we have to believe it and accept it as the true version of Judas's history as opposed to the one presented in the canonical gospels?

We don't...

To me it's just another interesting example of some man's opinion 2,000 years ago. Just like the rest of the Bible. Speaking of the Bible, what is it ? A collection of writings a bunch of bishops had an opinion about -- which just happened to support beliefs they already had !

I find all these writings suspect, because, s o m e o n e made a conscious choice to c o n t r o l the beliefs of others. With what we know about the WTB&TS can you imagine what they would do if they could control information like those bishops did ? Ya' think they would be 'fair' ? Or...do ya' think they might have injected their owns opinions into the 'stew' that became the Bible ?

The Bible has some good human wisdom in it tho', like: "There is nothing new under the sun..."

Rabbit

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

To get a whole view of this we have to go back in time 2000 years. Just like today we have Millerites leading to JWs and Mormons and other funky cults, there were people back then that had to take a different view. They had to be different, thought they knew the right way, the only way to think and they went against what was largely accepted as accurate and true.

There was a group called the Cainites. They were Gnostic. They went against what was accepted by the church as cannon, truth, historical. They believed basically that evil was good. Cain was good, thus the namesake. The early church deemed their ideas and writings as heretical, and still will today. The Cainites were just another cult. "Gospel of Judas", "The Truth That Leads To Eternal Life" they both will have the same place on my bookshelf, in the fiction area.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Very interesting to see the overall text, Narkissos. I see lots of parallels with the Gospel of Thomas and second-century Valentinian works.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Also with the Judas in the NH Dialogue of the Savior.

http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/dialog.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit