JW murder in Kane County Illinois

by Nowman 16 Replies latest jw friends

• juni
    juni

Happy Dad,

I'll respond to your question.

I apologize Emma and Mary for being too quick to label you as bitter. This posting, when I opened it, sent a dagger through my heart because I have personally known the Whittens - Earsten, Betty, Charles, and Kyombi (Kiki).

I agree. Perhaps the elders didn't give the help or direction to "worldly" help for Betty for the care of Kyombi or herself. You know - things in the cong. have changed for the worse. The love there has cooled off and it's everyone for themselves. So perhaps this is a reason for Betty to feel distraught and no place to turn. As they tell you - draw closer to God, attend mtgs., etc. etc. Which is not the answer for someone who is not mentally well. Even though I love Betty there is no excuse for what she did. She will have to deal w/the consequences just as others who have committed terrible crimes. The Betty I knew showed abundant love for her daughter. Also the rest of the family and the cong. I attended helped her. But the situation must've finally got to her and perhaps things would've been different if she wasn't a JW. I don't know.

We really don't know why this happened - the other 2 cases that come to my mind is the mom who drove her car into a lake and drowned her children. Also, the other mom who killed her children in the bathtub, I believe. I don't know what religion they were, if any, but something in them snapped. Were there signs of impending doom? Were people ignoring crys for help? I don't know.

Again I apologize. I was being over sensitive. I hope you understand how I feel.

Juni

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

I worked in the legal industry several years ago when Willie Carlson killed his parents (Lake County, Illinois). Willie was raised as a JW. I actually knew him and his family. We were not close but we ran in the same circles. Willie was a strange kid. What I thought was interesting was that after everything came out, the parents were slaughtered rather then morning their loss people in the media made it out that he was justified to kill his parents and carve things into their skin because he was not allowed to celebrate holidays. The other thing that was disturbing was the fact that Willie went to Gurnee High School. The media showed up at the school and interviewed a bunch of kids. I know for a fact that those kids HATED Willie, teased him and actually bet him up at times. But they wanted to be on t.v. and they even bragged about it later that they did not know nor like Willie, but wanted their 15 minutes of fame. I worked with his defense counsel regarding obtaining information. I was not retained as counsel, so I can say without breaking any priv. in the beginning Willie blamed his parents and the religion he was raised in. Around 10 years later, he recanted his story and stated that it was not his parents fault or the religion, he was screwed up but he did not let anyone know he was having problems so he just sank deeper and deeper into depression and hatred. He was determined to take out his anger on someone, anyone.

My point is that people are experiencing problems of all kinds. Some people like to point fingers and blame things other then the person who pulled the trigger or shoved the knife into the chest of the person they killed. Just as we get frustrated because we claim that the Society does not step up and take responsibility for wrongs and make them right, we need to asses the situation ... this woman committed a horrible crime. No one will argue that she was a nice person, but the moment she killed her daughter was the moment she was no longer a nice woman. I agree that most likely something snapped because I cannot believe that a person can simply take another person's life. Not to be morbid, but the manner in which she killed her daughter is a sign of anger. Something was wrong, very wrong there.

And as for whether people in the cong help out those with a disability, I can attest that the cong my mother is in, is wonderful to her. So they do help out. Though it might be because my mother is a huge gossip and I am sure they love going over to her house so they can gossip about everyone else's business. But they take very good care of my mom.

This whole matter is very sad, for everyone. I hope that the mom gets the mental health she clearly needs.

• calico
    calico

Does anyone know which congregation this family attends? Is it the St. Charles cong. that meets in Elgin?

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    I agree that most likely something snapped because I cannot believe that a person can simply take another person's life. ; Not to be morbid, but the manner in which she killed her daughter is a sign of anger. ; Something was wrong, very wrong there. ;

Thanks looking_glass for that interesting post. I agree sounds like she snapped, it's really sad.

((((((((juni)))))))) I'm sorry for the loss of your dear friends.

• juni
    juni
    Police have said Whitten felt that she was under a lot of pressure from caring for her daughter and other aspects of her life at the time of the crime.Police have said Whitten felt that she was under a lot of pressure from caring for her daughter and other aspects of her life at the time of the crime.

SORRY IT COPIED TWICE.

Thanks LookingGlass for your observation. I believe you are right. Notice what the Chgo Tribune had to say about Betty's thoughts. I copied them above. This is from today's paper - 4/6/06 NOTICE THE STATEMENT - "OTHER ASPECTS OF HER LIFE". No doubt the JW lifestyle to do more and more. And the pressure to perform for God's blessings. And, "Do we see evidence of Jehovah's blessings in our lives?" That's a very loaded statement/question that they use - especially for those that are depressed.

And, thank you BikerChic for your hugs. I appreciate your understanding.

Juni

• Parliament
    Parliament

Yes they are from the St Charles cong. In Elgin right off Lake st.

• Nowman
    Nowman

I too personally knew the Whittens from the Libertyville congregation in Illinois. I also knew Willie Carlson. My parents (my dad) found the bodies in their home. Paul Carlson was the book study conductor at our house. He did not show up the Thursday he was suppose to conduct (thats because he and his wife were murdered the day before). Paul was suppose to give a talk in Addison, IL the following Sunday, did not show up. We lived 2 blocks from the Carlsons, my parents were close with them. So, my parents knew something was wrong and called the cops that Sunday, and thats when it all was found out. I went to highschool with Willie, he would always tell on me...he jus snapped. My mom mentioned to me a could of months ago, we were talking about it...Sandy Carlson and her were in our kitchen for a gathering, and Sandy out of the blew said to my mom "Willie would never forgive her for I did to him", my mom says, "what did you do?", they were interupted, and it never came up again. Shortly after that, the murder took place, my parents had to go to the trial...what a weird time in my life...

As for the Betty Whitten case, the recent news (from the local Daily Herald), Betty had been dragged to the doctor a few days prior to be treated for depression...Theres a quote from Earsten, he was such a loving man, I too went in field service with him...I still am so shocked about it. I have not them since I was 18 (when I left the org), but I will always remember the Whitten family. There is such a problem with despression in the org??? Theres definitely a patten, I know, tell you something you don't know already.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit