Evidently or Apparantly? Manipulation technique by WTBTS?

by misspeaches 15 Replies latest jw friends

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

My boyfriend pointed something out to me a while ago. When I would be relaying a story to him or something like that I would commonly use the word 'evidently'. For example and evidently Mr Johns said this. It used to really grate on his nerves. He explained to me that the correct word to use is apparantly. Evidently should be used when I have evidence to support my statement.

Since then I've noticed my JW mum says it a lot. I've also noticed it a bit on here from my fellow exJWs.

Which leads me to thinking... Where did we pick this up from. My sinister mind suggests that perhaps we picked this up from our JW days. I have no way of supporting this statement but I'm going to throw it out there.... Perhaps in their publications they commonly use the word 'evidently' when stating something. Perhaps to make theirselves sound so much more convincing? When in fact they have no evidence to support their statement. It could be a clever manipulation technique...

Like I said - this is just me surmising. But it is something I've been pondering over...

• blondie
    blondie

I call those buzzwords.

Here are some from an interesting website.

Buzz Words In Their Literature

This Clearly Shows . . . Obviously . . .
    The Bible plainly says . . . Logically . . .
    Has clearly shown . . . Justifiably . . .
    We have clearly seen . . . Surly this is reasonable . . .
    The evidence shows . . . We might reasonable assume. . .
    The evidence should be clear . . . Most/Many Scholars . . .
    Reasonably, then . . . Surely then . . .
    Thus the facts make clear . . . Truly . . .
    What must one do . . . Apparently...
    Most certainly... Of course...
    Isn't it reasonable to conclude... Possibly...
    Fine examples... Probably...
    Thus, we can see... .Evidently

http://www.jwfiles.com/jw-words.htm

• blondie
    blondie

Evidently

and

Apparently

are WTS code for

"the Bible doesn't say but we are now going to add to the Bible with our speculation"

Some examples from just a few months in 2004

w04 1/1 p. 28 Highlights From the Book of Genesis—I ***

For example, Cain murders his righteous brother Abel. "A start [is] made of calling on the name of Jehovah," apparently in a profane way.

w04 1/1 p. 29 Highlights From the Book of Genesis—I ***

God’s curse on the ground was apparently lifted.—Genesis 13:10.

Enoch was apparently in mortal danger,

Apparently, Noah knew what was suitable for sacrifice in the worship of Jehovah.

*** w04 1/15 p. 27 Highlights From the Book of Genesis—II ***

Noah and his sons, to whom the command to ‘be fruitful and fill the earth’ was repeated, were evidently all monogamous.

*** w04 2/1 p. 11 "Lord, Teach Us How to Pray" ***

However, the book of Revelation prophesied that the time would come when Satan and his demons would be evicted from heaven. That time apparently came shortly after Jesus Christ received Kingdom power in 1914.

*** w04 8/1 p. 26 Highlights From the Book of Numbers ***

Why did Miriam and Aaron complain against Moses? The real reason for their complaint was apparently Miriam’s desire for greater power. When Moses’ wife, Zipporah, rejoined him in the wilderness, Miriam might have feared that she would no longer be viewed as leading lady in the camp.—Exodus 18:1-5.
  • misspeaches
    misspeaches

Interesting about the buzz words Blondie.

Also the quotes provided and the context surrounding them are also interesting. Only one of them supports my theory however...

***w04 1/15 p. 27 Highlights From the Book of Genesis—II***

Noah and his sons, to whom the command to ‘be fruitful and fill the earth’ was repeated, were evidently all monogamous.

Where is the evidence to support that statement?
  • New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

It's funny seeing all those buzz words together. A lot of those used to really get on my nerves, especially We might reasonable assume. . . & Isn't it reasonable to conclude...

Usually all those buzzwords were encapsulated in some sort of demagogy and fallacious logic.

• daystar
    daystar

Anyone recall "You will agree" or similar? What about "True Christians agree that..." or similar?

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

It's a bit unnerving when we catch ourselves using Watchtower speak without being aware of it. No wonder people look at us funny sometimes.
    I recently went through a copy of " Is the Bible Really the Word of God?™" marking words used to manipulate the reader. It was quite a nauseating exercise particularly at the beginning where a lot of pressure is applied to gain the readers sympathy and trust and at the end when the society is wholeheartedly™ endeavouring™ to have the reader "choose life in order that you may keep alive, you and your offspring."
    But surely the wise course . .. But you should realize that bible prophesies show.. The bible can give true meaning ... They are now living in harmony ... What will this ethnic cleansing operation bring for those granted survival?
    In English literary critisism they talk about the technique of being a resistant reader - I think I was resistant reader of flawed watchtower logic for many years before leaving the cult.

unclebruce

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

One of my favorites was when the WT said that Jesus disciples (the ones that were employed as fishermen) were "evidently" successful businessmen, and therefore their leaving their business to follow Jesus was a great sacrifice on their part.

WTF?? They were dirt poor!!!! Give me a break!

• uninformed
    uninformed

misspeaches,

I hate 'em too, but I think evidently in that case is correct.

There were 8 people in the ark.

Noah and his wife,

Shem and his wife

Ham and his wife

Japhteh and his wife

Gen 6:18--"...and you must go into the ark, you and your sons and your wife and your sons' wives with you"

What do you think?

u

• JH
    JH
    Perhaps in their publications they commonly use the word 'evidently'

I read the french version of the Watchtower's publications.

And often I didn't even read them

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit