Family Funeral

by jws 13 Replies latest jw friends

• luna2
    luna2

My condolences on the death of your uncle.

I hope your father will reconsider attending the services for his brother. That was something I never understood as a dub. I went to every one of my grandparents' funerals, sat in their churches, listened to the talks, etc. It didn't catapault me out of dubdom (too bad) or turn me into a devil worshiper.

Witnesses are so pathetic. If they have the "truth" and are so sure of themselves, why are they so afraid to do anything that has to do with other religions? Why are they such cowards? You'd think with Jehovah sitting on their shoulder they'd be able to weather anything "false" religion has to toss at them. Instead they cower at home until the evil church ceremony is over and then come slinking over for the meal (they do this at weddings too). Unbelievably crass, arrogant and rude...that's the witness they give.

• carla
    carla

Sorry about your Uncle.

Once again I ask, where are the jw apologists now? How do they justify such unloving and rude behavior? they look like the asses they are.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

My non JW mom passed away and my JW in -laws came . It was held in the mortuary in a chapel but there was a pastor that gave a sermon. It was beautiful. When he said stand to pray..they kept sitting .

But afterwards all my JW in-laws did was ridicule the service. How ignorant was that?
    My Mom had just died and that was all they could talk about?

Sometimes it is a blessing if they do not attend..

At my daughters wedding held in a church they sat towards the front and whispered to each other all through the wedding.Even snickering at times.

We are supposed to show them respect for their religion and make allowances for them..but they sure can't keep their mouth shut if they don't like something..

I had my JW hubby's memorial in a K.H.I thought it was the coldest and most horrible talk I ever heard. If I didn't know the witnesses and it wasn't my hubby's memorial..I would have walked out!

So much different than my Mom's funeral talk.

Snoozy

• jws
    jws

Tonight was the funeral service. My dad and sister came for the viewing, as they had planned to, but left before the funeral service. My sister had the extra excuse that they had their circuit overseer this week and meeting that night.

I overheard when my aunt came up to them. She approached them first. She said she understood. Over all the years, she understood their stance and said it was OK, not to feel bad about it.

My brother and I stayed for the whole thing. Before the funeral, the VFW post that he was a part of gave a great military service (the first I had seen). Then, my uncle was moved over to the chapel room for the service.

A cousin (my uncle's daughter) saw me there close to the time of the service and asked whether my dad was still around. I told her no, for religious reasons. She nodded as if she understood. Then she asked if I was staying and I said I was. She looked a little surprised, clasped my hand, and thanked me.

That right there says it. Sure, she "understands" my dad's convictions, but my staying comforted her.

The service actually was pretty religious. There wasn't much talk about my uncle at all. In some ways it was kind of like a JW service. Quoting scriptures and repeating their belief of what happens at death. But even so, it was all in the talk. Everything was kind of generic. And it was moving. I think of all the dry, boring, repetetive JW services I sat through. This was nothing like it.

Tommorow is the burial. I don't know why that's offensive. But my dad isn't going. It could be that there's only so much pain he can take. He's always been a little skittish about death and funerals. My sister has something to do in the morning, but can't remember what at the moment.

Before the funeral, my dad said he wasn't going to stay for the service because he didn't want to be lectured by a minister (as if the minister was going to personally lecture him). And who cares? Like somebody else here said, what's he afraid of? Is his belief system so fragile that it's going to crumble from hearing an opposing view? Why go door-to-door if it is that fragile?

All-in-all, my dad and sister spent over 2 hours there. So I do give them credit, but... could have stayed for the service.

Thanks to everyone who has wished me well in all of this. I've always cared about my uncle and will miss him. At least his suffering and struggle with memory loss are over.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit