Witnesses for Jesus....Post search!

by Kristofer 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Kristofer
    Kristofer

Trying to find a post with several scriptural references for being witnesses of Christ as opposed to the name Jehovah. Any help??

• inquirer
    inquirer

Acts 1:8 but YOU will receive power when the holy spirit arrives upon YOU,
    and YOU will be witnesses of me
    both in Jerusalem and in all Ju·de´a and Sa·mar´i·a and to the most distant part
    of the earth.” 9 And after he had said these things, while they were looking on,
    he was lifted up and a cloud caught him up from their vision. 10 And as they
    were gazing into the sky while he was on his way, also, look! two men in white
    garments stood alongside them, 11 and they said: “Men of Gal´i·lee, why do YOU
    stand looking into the sky? This Jesus
    who was received up from YOU into the sky will come thus in the same manner as
    YOU have beheld him going into the sky.”

___

Can't think of one that directly says Jesus' Witnesses. :( I'll keep looking.

• inquirer
    inquirer

Acts 11:26 and, after he found him, he brought him to Antioch. It thus came
    about that for a whole year they gathered together with them in the congregation
    and taught quite a crowd, and it was first in Antioch that the disciples were by
    divine providence called Christians.

Acts 26:28 But A·grip´pa said to Paul: “In a short time you would persuade me
    to become a Christian.”

1 Peter 4:16 16 But if [he suffers] as a Christian, let him not feel shame,
    but let him keep on glorifying God in this name.

Doesn't say Jesus' Witnesses in these verses, but Christian comes from the
    word Christ. I guess when Jehovah judges the righteous and unrighteous we will
    have to in a judiciary sense be a witness for Jesus! :D

But here is one where it does say it: Revelation 17:6 And I saw that the
    woman was drunk with the blood of the holy ones and with the blood of the
    witnesses of Jesus.

____

• inquirer
    inquirer

I couldn't find one that literally says word-for-word Witnesses for Christ...
    either in the singular form.

• blondie
    blondie

(Revelation 12:17) 17 And the dragon grew wrathful at the woman, and went off to wage war with the remaining ones of her seed, who observe the commandments of God and have the work of bearing witness to Jesus.

Bearing witness to Jesus (not God or Jehovah)

Try finding a scripture in the NT that says "witnesses of Jehovah" or "Jehovah's witnesses."

(1 Corinthians 1:5-6) . . ., 6

even as the witness about the Christ has been rendered firm among YOU,

(Revelation 19:9-10) . . ." 10

At that I fell down before his feet to worship him. But he tells me: "Be careful! Do not do that! All I am is a fellow slave of you and of your brothers who have the work of witnessing to Jesus. Worship God; for the bearing witness to Jesus is what inspires prophesying."

(Revelation 20:4) 4

And I saw thrones, and there were those who sat down on them, and power of judging was given them. Yes, I saw the souls of those executed with the ax for the witness they bore to Jesus . . .
  • inquirer
    inquirer

Oh yeah, I didn't realize about those ones. It all depends on how you search -- boolean, phrase, all words! Thanks for putting those ones forward like that. I guess there is more than one way to look at it. Rev 17:6 makes it look more like a title like an organization name like "Jehovah's Witnesses," which is similar to the one they quote in Isaiah. But it's all trivial really.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Here are a few scriptures that validate the ones previously posted:

but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to the Jews and foolishness to the Gentiles. 1 Cor 1:23

But I fear that, as the serpent deceived Eve by his cunning, your minds may be corrupted from a complete and pure devotion to Christ. For if a person comes and preaches another Jesus, whom we did not preach, or you receive a different spirit, which you had not received, or a different gospel, which you had not accepted, you put up with it splendidly! 2 Cor 11:3-4

But when God, who from my mother’s womb set me apart and called me by His grace, was pleased to reveal His Son in me, so that I could preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately consult with anyone. I did not go up to Jerusalem to those who had become apostles before me; instead I went to Arabia and came back to Damascus. Gal 1:15-17

I am amazed that you are so quickly turning away from Him who called you by the grace of Christ, [and are turning] to a different gospel— not that there is another [gospel] , but there are some who are troubling you and want to change the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel other than what we have preached to you, a curse be on him! As we have said before, I now say again: if anyone preaches to you a gospel contrary to what you received, a curse be on him! Gal 1:6-9

Some, to be sure, preach Christ out of envy and strife, but others out of good will. Phil 1:15

• mdb
    mdb

Then He said to them, “Thus it is written, and thus it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead the third day, and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. And you are witnesses of these things. ~Luke 24:46-48

But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.” ~Acts 1:8

Therefore, being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him that of the fruit of his body, according to the flesh, He would raise up the Christ to sit on his throne, he, foreseeing this, spoke concerning the resurrection of the Christ, that His soul was not left in Hades, nor did His flesh see corruption. This Jesus God has raised up, of which we are all witnesses. ~Acts 2:30-32

But you denied the Holy One and the Just, and asked for a murderer to be granted to you, and killed the Prince of life, whom God raised from the dead, of which we are witnesses. ~Acts 3:14,15

And with great power the apostles gave witness to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And great grace was upon them all. ~Acts 4:33

But God raised Him from the dead. He was seen for many days by those who came up with Him from Galilee to Jerusalem, who are His witnesses to the people. ~Acts 13:30,31

For we did not follow cunningly devised fables when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of His majesty. ~2 Pet 1:16

• marsal
    marsal

(Acts 22:19,20 NWT) And I said, 'Lord, they themselves well know that I used to imprison and flog in one synagogue after another those believing upon you and when the blood of Stephen your witness was being spilled, I myself was also standing by and approving and guarding the outer garments of those doing away with him.'

• Kristofer
    Kristofer

THanks for the posts! I still couldn't find the original thread but these definitely help.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit