Finding out what a convention costs....

by schne_belly 11 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• schne_belly
    schne_belly

Here is an email I sent to the nearest "convention center" that JW's are using this summer....

Dear Sirs,

I hope you are able to assist me in my research. Any information would be helpful.

I am doing research on the financial aspect of cults in America. Your website indicates that you are offering your facility for use by Jehovah's Witnesses during the summer of 2006.

While I am not asking what you are charging them, I would like to ask if I were an organization offering the same type of convention, how much would I be charged? Also, do they use your foodservice that you have available at the center? Do you charge for parking? How many people are expected to attend?

Thank you for your assistance,

..and here is the response...

Hello Patrick -

Regarding any type of convention, there is a long process that the Packer Country VCB and PMI go through with proposals and negotiations.

Rent differs based on event, and what type of services the event is looking to have. We also take into consideration how many days the event takes place, which in turn, brings economic impact to the Green Bay Area, by filling hotel rooms and providing customers for local businesses.

No, we do not charge for parking for the particular event that you are referring to - which is something that is decided on an event by event

basis. This convention usually brings about 7000 attendees per day. I

believe some of our concessions stands are open so attendees can purchase food if they so choose.

If you would like further information specific to conventions, please contact the Packer Country Visitor and Convention Bureau, Jennifer Lxxxxxx 920.XXX-XXXX

I have also contacted two other convention providers... hopefully somebody will spill how much they are charging......

I may just call and find out...Wonder how "public" this information is??

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    No, we do not charge for parking for the particular event that you are referring to - which is something that is decided on an event by event basis.

Interesting. Do you know if the society charges attendees parking for this facility??

-Aude.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR
    I believe some of our concessions stands are open so attendees can purchase food if they so choose.

I found this to be interesting also. The last convention I walked through was last year in Long Beach, CA. I don't recall any concession stands being open.

• schne_belly
    schne_belly

XJW -

You are correct - I was in attendance a couple of years ago. The food stands are "closed for business..." On the odd chance there is one open - JW's are not encouraged to purchase from them. Nor are they encouraged to leave the facility over the lunch hour to patronize the local establishments.

I was attempting to subtly bring that "missing revenue" to their attention by asking the question.

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

I have never heard of concession stands being open for a convention.

BB

• lola28
    lola28

The year before last I went to the convention in Long Beach and they had the little restaurant open but no stands.

lola

• jstalin
    jstalin

If that Visitor's and Convention Bureau is a public entity, such as a City or County office, then it should be subject to your state's freedom of information act, which means that all their documents (including invoices) would be public record.

• silentWatcher
    silentWatcher

We also take into consideration how many days the event takes place, which in turn, brings economic impact to the Green Bay Area, by filling hotel rooms and providing customers for local businesses.

------------------------------------------------------

which means they likely get the facility for $0 (or a nominal fee, which the local chamber of commerce picks up). I'd be shocked if you

• greven
    greven

Last convention I went to had the Mac D's open. Which was unusual I may add.

Though we were instructed not to eat there or outside the convention hall, the Mac D's was fully packed

Greven

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

Last August, I attended a convention (not JW-related) at the Long Beach Sports Arena. This is the same location as the J-Dubs use. The concession stands were open, and were doing a brisk business.

One other point, this was also a religious convention, and there were no requests not to patronize the concession stands.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit