Just Finished CoC

by lost_light06 7 Replies latest jw experiences

• lost_light06
    lost_light06

Well, I just finished Crisis of Conscience (except for the appendix). Really eye opening! I wasn’t sure if I was going to like the chapters describing his expulsion but he seemed to present it fairly and extremely accurately. It amazed me that the people he worked so close with for so many years, even his friends, turned on him so quickly and refused to help in any way when he most needed it. It makes me feel ashamed of the ones I’ve known who have been DF’d and I shunned them. I really has reaffirmed to me that the org. is just a man made, man lead organization. They add to and twist the bible when convenient. The changes and decisions they make rarely have any real scriptural support, in fact, the changes are usually decided on then scriptures are found that can support it. I was thinking about it a lot during meeting yesterday. The Watchtower article we were studying had to do with “New Light” and how it is such a blessing. It talked about past “new light” changes and how the bible supported them (one of them had to do with the change on the view of the “superior authorities. The old understanding was it was Jehovah and Jesus and it was change to the Nations of the earth. I wanted to raise my hand and comment that this change was actually a revival of the original teaching before it was changed to the now “old light”. As if Jehovah gave the original teaching, correct light, then changed it turning off the light so to speak, then changed it back turning the light back on. I didn’t raise my hand though)

I am also amazed at the similarities between JW’s and Catholics. The Watchtower loves to bash Catholicism for things it itself is guilty of. I was reading and old WT article last night that dealt with the Bible and Science. From the beginning it was a catholic bashing article yet almost every thing they accused the catholics of they themselves are guilty, the most amazing one being the harshness with which both organizations deal with different or apposing views. The WT chastises the catholics for this yet is blind to it’s own rafter of DF’ing for so called apostasy. I also really appreciated the end of the book where he talks about where do we go when leaving the org. This is a question I face. He sums it up nicely by saying we don’t need an organization. Jesus invited everyone to come to him, we don’t need a man-made organization for that. In fact it is a man made organization that has really alienated it’s followers from Jesus. I have never felt any spirituality or personal relationship with God and His Son. This is the major reason I have never been motivated or sincere in my life as a JW. The book really has helped me to realize what I know is true of the JW org. It has also given me confidence that whatever the future hold for me as I fade I have my whole life ahead of me without the fear of destruction or guilt.

• NoMoreMeetings
    NoMoreMeetings

Lost Light,

You have figured out the WT correctly. They are truly responsible for destroying the faith of many.

You may also want to read In Search of Christian Freedom by Ray Franz. It may help you to find the relationship that is available to everyone with the Father and Jesus.

Revelation 3:20 says that if we want Jesus in our life, He is waiting for us to open the door to Him.

I resigned as an elder 4 years ago and have been on a wonderful Christian Journey, outside the framework of organized religion.
    I wish you God's blessing on your journey.

NMM

• Legolas
    Legolas

I would also suggest that you read his other book as well....In Search of Christian Freedom.

• collegegirl21
    collegegirl21

Wow, I know what you mean. Its a terrible thing to think that you were a part of something that took family and friends away from you. I need to finish reading the book, lol.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

lost

I also really appreciated the end of the book where he talks about where do we go when leaving the org. This is a question I face. He sums it up nicely by saying we don’t need an organization. Jesus invited everyone to come to him, we don’t need a man-made organization for that. In fact it is a man made organization that has really alienated it’s followers from Jesus.

Absolutely. When an organization places itself between God and mankind they are creating a wall

I have never felt any spirituality or personal relationship with God and His Son. This is the major reason I have never been motivated or sincere in my life as a JW.

No surprise. How could JWs feel close to God? The organization acts as a barrier. Thanks for pointing this out. So simple and yet such a huge matter

• greendawn
    greendawn

In fact having an organised religious body could make it more efficient but humans being what they are they will inevitably abuse any position of power they hold within it and will soon rurn to wolves exploiting and oppressing the flock.

The new light dogma is obviously a nonsense, through this they are trying to make out that they are expanding on a concept by adding new ideas to it whereas in fact they are changing one set of ideas for another often of the very opposite nature.

• willyloman
    willyloman

lost

welcome to the light!

• inquirer
    inquirer

It's a damn great book! This Raymond guy is a legend!

I'd recommend CHristian Freedom, it talks about how they didn't go from door-to-door in the early church and Fred Franz makes a retarded joke about going form the front door to the back (You'd have to read it! lol). But I think it's not as good as Crisis of Conscience, Ray drags on in it a bit more and there's too much padding in it. But buy it because Ray is a great bloke! :D

I'd like to buy more books of Ray -- religious or non-religious, but I guess he is getting on a bit now. He's suffered enough, he doesn't have to do anything if he doesn't want to!

I'd personally love to meet him in the resurrection! I don't think it would be possible in this life!!! I live in Aus and all... He gets way too much correspondence. That's why I stopped emailing him. He gave me the hint he couldn't do it. God bless the guy, will talk to him in the resurrection! :D Well, in some ways, I think there would be huge crowds coming to meet him! :( I'd wait a few months or something. :D)

GO RAY!

I don't think I liked any of those people he mixed with on the Governing Body -- At least Fred Franz was the main contributor to the New World Translation... But I think the way he treated his relative was bad and kinda undo's the good he's done! I only like the people that were disfellowedshipped really like Dunlop and the Hispanic guy, can't remember the guy's name sorry!

You could see they got rid of a nice guy, you could see by getting rid of Ray, they got rid of an important contributor to the org! He partially wrote Insight on the Scriptures for example.

Ray never wanted to leave! I find that amazing -- he went through the same crap as what we went through!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit