Question, Christ mediator for 144,00 or all?

by bob1999 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bob1999
    bob1999

About two years ago, in an old Zion Watchtower from the 1890's, I read a nice, 6 or 7 paragraph piece about salvation through faith. It was written by Russell's wife. She has obviously just read Romans, Galations and Ephesians. This was main stream, biblical, new covenant stuff.

When did the WTS change their doctrine to Christ being the medaitor for only the 144,000 and the new covenant only applying to that 144,000?

Thanks a bunch....

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

This officially became the policy in 1934.

In Watchtowe r 1 April 1934 p.104 1934, Rutherford wrote, “Christ Jesus is the mediator of the new covenant toward his own brethren, that is to say, spiritual

This was the time of introducing the idea of the Great Crowd being on earth and that all non JWs will be destroyed. It took almost 10 years for Rutherford to sort the whole earth/heavens 2 classes thing, but in the end he had a great doctrine designed to force people to believe being part of the Organisation was necessary for salvation. It is a shame it so perverts Jesus role as mediator by putting the Anointed (in reality the GB) as our means of salvation.

• bob1999
    bob1999

Thank you. Is the complete text somewhere on the internet?

• garybuss
    garybuss

There's a difference between the way the Watch Tower Publishing Corporation teaches the mediator doctrine and the way the Jehovah's Witnesses I know believe it and teach it verbally. All Witnesses I know, and I just asked my wife and all the Witnesses she knows believe Jesus is their mediator. The Watch Tower Publishing Corporation believes THEY are the mediator. The Jehovah's Witness people mostly believe Jesus is their mediator.

This is almost a closet doctrine and all Witnesses I ever brought up the topic will argue that Jesus is their mediator.

There's a confusion among both active Witnesses and outsiders that all Witnesses believe what the Society prints. In my world, that just ain't so. They may SAY they do . . . but they don't. My .02

• gumby
    gumby
    There's a confusion among both active Witnesses and outsiders that all Witnesses believe what the Society prints. In my world, that just ain't so. They may SAY they do . . . but they don't. My .02

So true Gary!

Witnesses speak of "unity"in belief... which is one of their arguments to validify they ARE the true religion since they say christendom has many beliefs regarding the doctrines. However as you say, if witnesses were taken aside and asked "individually" ( alone) questions regarding their ideas on various subjects.....one would find they have no "unity" in their own personal opinions on many matters.

When the alcoholic Rutherford had his miraculous spirit directed discovery that there were too many Jehovah's Witnesses just prior to 1935, he then published his discovery that there were two classes of the faithfull which presented a dilema for who qualifies for mediatorship with christ. Fred Franz qualified this idea with bold speech in the 80's on this subject that was for the most part hibernating in the minds of witnesses who never realised this teaching existed as he would explain.

I remember "apostates" with their signs outside the assembly grounds who jumped on this one. Their signs and message even shocked myself as I'd never looked at it that way before.

Gumby

• JeffT
    JeffT

A couple of months ago I got in an argument at my door with a pair of dubs over this issue. I had wanted to see what happened if I brought it up. I said that as a Christian I had no use for a religion that did not recognize Jesus as my mediator. The guy talking said that JW's recognized Jesus as mediator. "When did that change?" "We've always taught that." "To my knowledge you've never taught that, look up the articles in the 1979 Watchtower and come see me."

He never came back.

I agree with Garybuss on this one, there is a huge gap between official doctrine and what most dubs believe. IMHO the society leaves this alone because it would rock the boat too much if they pushed it.

• Atlantis
  • AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

All.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Rutherford changed this org into a true cult, and he ousted from the New Covenent all except the few so called anointed. I wonder if dubs claiming that the Christ is their mediator will be considered as apostates and see punitive action taken against them since that contravenes the org's teaching.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

One needs to point out that the distinction has been made between the words "Jesus" and "Christ"

It can be rightly said that jws believe "christ" is their mediator because their doctrine alludes to "christ" being upper eschelon jws as a whole - it's a trick of words.

But they cannot say that their doctrine is that "Jesus" alone is their mediator, because they identify 'jesus' as being simply part of the above group.

--------------------------------------------

This plainly examplifies the sayings

• many will come in my name, saying, `I am the Christ,' and they will lead many astray. And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars; see that you are not alarmed
    • Take heed that you are not led astray; for many will come in my name, saying, `I am he!' and, `The time is at hand!' Do not go after them

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit