(Rant) Kenyan Co-workers

by MsMcDucket 15 Replies latest jw friends

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

My Kenyan co-workers was asking a younger man about OUR constitution. He knew that the young man would know nothing about it. He then proceeds to ask me about it. "Who would be the next in line if the Vice President were to die?" I said "Hell, I don't know. Condaleeza Rice?" He goes on to say how Americans are politically dumb; how they are only interested in "American Idol" and "music". Really, trying to dig it in! I got pissed. I said the only reason you guys are so interested in American politics is because you have so many wars and need our assistance. He goes on to say that they don't have any wars or problems in Kenya. I then said you have to learn about our history and government for immi...he cut me off. And continued with his denigration of Americans and our lack of knowledge of our government and politics.

I told him that I took that stuff in the 6th grade. I don't remember all of that stuff. I found that I was trying to defend myself. Well, yesterday, I was really pissed. I look up Kenya and found out that they were having problems, and that their youth were becoming more violent because of it. I, also, looked up the U.S.A. Naturalization test. Guess what? It said that in order to become an American you had to know about American history, government, and the constitution. It had the exact question on the test that he had asked the young man. So, I called my Kenyan co-worker and told her what I found and that I was going to fax it to her. I asked for the fax number. She gave me the wrong fax number!

I went to my job's web page and found the fax number and faxed it. She said that she didn't receive it. I told her that somebody was going to receive it. So, I wonder if she went to the fax machine and got the paper and tore it up?

Was I being a meanie? I just had to get them back!

• Bstndance
    Bstndance

Tell him the beauty of living in America is that you have the freedom to be ignorant if you want to be. It sounds bad but it's one of the greatest freedoms. You have no obligation to know about history or civics if you choose not to. You have a right to know more about American Idol. True knowledge is power but it's your choice.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

He sure seems to hate America a lot. I can't help but wonder why he's going through all the fuss and trouble to stay here.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    Tell him the beauty of living in America is that you have the freedom to be ignorant if you want to be

Good point! I didn't know what to do at the time. I'm not use to be attacked that way at work. Of course, they were laughing as they were talking about it...so, I guess they didn't think that it was offensive?

• daystar
    daystar

Ask your co-worker some questions that were not in the test set and see how much they know without parroting what they were taught in the class. *zing!*

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    I can't help but wonder why he's going through all the fuss and trouble to stay here.

Elsewhere, I think he came here to teach us about our constitution and history.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    He sure seems to hate America a lot. I can't help but wonder why he's going through all the fuss and trouble to stay here.

This was my thought too. If she feels all Americans are idiots, then why is she trying so hard to become one? Why is she here???

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    Why is she here???

She said that she plans to retire in Kenya.

• ferret
    ferret

Oh by the way the next in line would be the Secretary of State. Not from Kenya just Canada.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    Ask your co-worker some questions that were not in the test set and see how much they know without parroting what they were taught in the class. *zing!*

I should of asked them what one of the rules of our culture is? You know, the one about not talking about religion and politics esp. at work.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit