shouldn't we wait till we're 30+ to be baptized?

by annalice 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    Wow woofer .. come to think of it my wife was baptised at 12.

UB - are you married?!?!?!

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

I'm seperated awaiting paper work. lol

I was happily married for ...let me see .. takes shoes off .. 22 years and raised two fine daughters

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

I so wanted to comment, as I feel very strongly about this, but there's nothing I can add. I did email the religious correspondent of a National newspaper but haven't had a response

Ps: Not only was Jesus baptised at 30 but he was declared to be a Rabbii (an office that required one to be married ~ a topic for another day).

UncleBruce - haven't you READ 'The DaVinci Code' - lol - a Biography if ever I read one!

• unclebruce
    unclebruce
    UncleBruce - haven't you READ 'The DaVinci Code' - lol - a Biography if ever I read one!

Better still MidwichCuckoo, I've read the books the author plagurised (Dead Sea Scrolls Conspiracy, Blood and the Holy Grail and the Messianic Legacy by Baigent and Lee)

unc who'd rather read fact than fiction

• metatron
    metatron

YES!

If baptising infants is wrong, why is baptising teenagers right?

metatron

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo
    If baptising infants is wrong, why is baptising teenagers right?

That's an easy one Metatron....because the Org says so.

Also, an infant cannot be made to 'pledge allegiance' to the Org......well, not until they've learned to speak, then they're fair game.

• willyloman
    willyloman

I always thought it was wrong to baptize kids who were so young they couldn't possibly grasp the seriousness of this lifelong commitment, much less "count the cost."

What billygoat says sums it up perfectly:

Because ultimately, this organization isn't about Jesus. It's about control.
  • garybuss
    garybuss

The reason my parents told me they wanted me to get baptized at age 12 was that the Bible character God, was going to murder anyone not a baptized Jehovah's Witness over the age of puberty. Before the age of puberty the children are saved by the family merit doctrine. The family merit doctrine expires at puberty. Just look up "family merit" on the CD.

My parents were raised in poverty on the farm in the 30's, and they were naive, ignorant, and extremely superstitious. They were afraid of the dark and it seemed like they believed every ghost and demon story ever told to them. They feared death and demons. The Witnesses had em in the bag.

The parents pressured me to be baptized so I wouldn't be murdered by the Biblical character, God. Of course now the parents shun me because I submitted to the baptism ritual and because I quit unpaid religious literature door to door sales working for the Jehovah's Witnesses right after I noticed none of their religious promises to me were ever kept.

• Gregor
    Gregor

One night when I was 11 yrs. old, Mom came in to say goodnight and sat down on the bed. "Sweetheart, have you thought about getting baptized?"

Well, no, I hadn't thought about it. It was the furtherest thing from my mind. That particular evening I was still thinking about my fave TV show 'Zorro' that I had just watched.

She told me that my aunt, her sister, had just informed her that my cousin, 5 mos. younger than me was going to do the deed at the circuit assembly coming up the next weekend and wouldn't it be nice to get baptized with him? "Yeah, I guess so" I said.

And that was it. A week later I dedicated my life to JoeHoba Dodd and the Watchtower Society. I don't recall even hearing the name Jesus mentioned in the talk except at the end of the prayer, you know, "...in Jesus name, Amen". Now, if I was naughty I could be disfellowshipped, whereas before I had a pass.

• Undecided
    Undecided

I had sex when I was 7 also. I started life when I was young.

Ken P.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit