I'll just pick it up in the New System...

by limbogirl 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• limbogirl
    limbogirl

Many years ago while driving with some jw friends in the car we stopped to get sodas. One of the jw's finishes her soda, opens the car door and tosses out the can. I was incredulous and said, "what are you doing?" ---- she gave me this smirk and says, "don't worry, I'll pick it up in the new system." Anyone else encounter this kind of attitude on the part of jw's toward responsibility for the environment? Apparently, some don't feel any responsibility as everything will be taken care of in the "new system"!!

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

I knew a girl who always threw her chewed gum on the ground - sidewalks, parking lots, etc. She just said, I'll probably be assigned to scrape gum off the ground in the new system.

I always secretly hoped that she stepped in a nice gooey piece on a warm summer day....

GGG

• serendipity
    serendipity

Very few JWs I know are environmentally conscious for the sake of the environment (perhaps more for their health), or else they are mum about it. I actively recycled and used nontoxic cleaners, organic pest control, etc. When I brought that up among JWs, they smirked and chided me. My response was that I didn't want to be part of "those ruining the earth",.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

damn, i'm an atheist and i litter. only difference is, i never really plan on going back to pick it up. some other organism can take care of the trash in a few dozen thousand years. maybe, you know, break it down for me over a nice bottle of chianti.

TS

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Hmmm...that would be a perfect moment to remember that verse they love so much...you know about God destroying those who destroy the earth...

• EAGLE-1
    EAGLE-1

Destroy-kill-trash-burn-What jdubs think of most of the time.Old testament war god named jehooba.He likes to destroy-kill-trash-burn.Hey I see a trend here.......

• Carmel
    Carmel

"...earth first.." We'll log the earth first then move on to the next planet....:-)

carmel

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101

I have to say there is very little discussion that I ever recall if ever about doing our bit for the environment. They control every part of a witnesses life so how come its not encouraged to have cleaner cars and solar power or something? Its almost like if we do something about it we are not leaving it to Jehovah, and yet surely we all have a responsibility to look after this planet.

CS 101

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Well its the same theory/reasoning they have about charity work, peace marches or anything thats good for the community - that there is no point in us trying to do anything to improve things because only God has the power and ability to do that and to attempt anything would be tantamount to pride - even believing we can achieve anything.

sigh - why oh why was I such a thickie!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit