I don't care!

by Frannie Banannie 14 Replies latest social current

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Truly yall. I posted what was sent to me, before I stopped to consider the whole enchilada. I don't like killing. I don't like wars. I especially don't like it when innocents of any nationality get killed. It'd be much better in the long run if the core players were forced to face one another in man-to-man combat and settle things that way. But most don't play by the rules. In cut throat acts of war, anything goes, by parties on all sides. History has proven that whoever wishes to win, will go to any lengths to psychologically and physically overwhelm their opponents. Dirty deeds on all sides. No one is innocent.

It appears there is a civil war escalating in Iraq now in the wake of Hussein's departure. See http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000103&sid=af7YtVdYsvfY&refer=us

Bush Says Iraq's Sectarian Divide a Legacy of Hussein (Update2)

March 29 (Bloomberg) -- President George W. Bush said the instability in Iraq today is a legacy of Saddam Hussein's regime and not the result of the U.S. invasion that toppled his government.

The sectarian violence that has enveloped Iraq is boiling over now because Hussein left the nation ``physically and emotionally scarred'' by purposely dividing ethnic and religious groups to prevent them from challenging him, Bush said.

``He sought to establish himself as the only force that could keep Iraqis together,'' Bush said today in Washington in an address to the Freedom House, a non-profit organization that promotes the spread of democracy. ``It is no wonder deep divisions and scars exist.''

One of the key ways to heal those divisions, he said, is by training an army loyal to the central government and ridding police forces of the influence of sectarian militias.

Bush's speech on Iraq is his third in as many weeks as he continues attempts to reassure the American people that the conflict is worthwhile and that Iraq is on the path to democracy. The president said he wanted to address the ``legitimate questions'' being raised in the U.S., including why are Iraqis so divided and ``did America cause the instability'' that is being seen now?

`Determined to Succeed'

Bush said Iraqis are ``determined to succeed'' in building a democracy, as shown by wide participation in three elections. After the terrorist bombing of a mosque last month, Iraqi troops took the lead in confronting the sectarian violence that broke out, he said.

Helping the Iraqis is vital to U.S. security, Bush said, because a failure of the military mission will mean a victory for terrorists trying to establish a base in Iraq.

``Pulling our troops out prematurely would be a disaster,'' he said. ``America will leave Iraq, but we won't retreat from Iraq.''

Democratic Representative John Murtha of Pennsylvania last year sparked a debate about the U.S. presence in Iraq, saying the U.S. should begin immediately withdrawing from most of the country. Murtha argues that the U.S. presence is driving much of the insurgency.

Murtha's call for a withdrawal has divided congressional Democrats and only House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi of California among the party's leaders has endorsed it.

Democratic Criticism

Democrats today offered their own plan for national security today, which calls for making 2006 a ``year of significant transition to full Iraqi sovereignty'' and for a ``responsible'' redeployment of U.S. troops. Their agenda doesn't address when to withdraw U.S. forces. Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid used the opportunity to criticize Bush for sending ``mixed messages'' on Iraq.

``The president can give all the speeches he wants, but nothing will change the fact that his Iraq policy is wrong,'' the Nevada Democrat said in Washington.

The U.S. has about 133,000 military personnel in Iraq and the Defense Department previously has said it was making plans to decrease that number to less than 100,000 by year's end if the Iraqis continue to make progress.

Republican Senator John McCain of Arizona, who was in Iraq last week, said yesterday that while Iraqi troops are ``doing better'' at leading the battle with insurgents, ``It's going to be a slower process than some anticipate.''

Bush's job approval rating has been less than 40 percent in most national polls over the past month as an increasing number of Americans say they believe the war is going poorly. At the same time, members of Congress, including some lawmakers from Bush's Republican Party, are urging the president to put more pressure on Iraqi political leaders to form a unity government and set benchmarks for progress.

During a question-and-answer session after the speech, Bush said the U.S. is worried about Iran's influence in the formation of an Iraqi government and remains ``deeply concerned'' about whether the Iranians have the ability to build a nuclear weapon.

To contact the reporter on this story: Richard Keil in Washington at [email protected]; Catherine Dodge in Washington at [email protected] 
    Last Updated: March 29, 2006 15:28 EST
  • unclebruce
    unclebruce

Yes Fran it's a bloody mess and can't get better while we're there (as much as the Iraqis have internal hatreds they hate being occupied even more (see my prediction post of several years ago - vietnam here we come :)

It's a shame the womnan in question didn't send something more positive to the troops like a "hot texas chics mag" or some candy to hand out to the kids.

cheers unc

ps: sorry if i fluffjacked this thread ... I'm glad it won't decend into a long boring argument though - that'd be a nightmare posting scenerio for both of us lol X

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

War is insanity! Nobody wins. Everybody loses. End of story.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    sorry if i fluffjacked this thread ... I'm glad it won't decend into a long boring argument though - that'd be a nightmare posting scenerio for both of us lol

Actually, I would thank you if I could find some fluff to throw back, Unc. I hate long, boring arguments. (reminds self to QUIT posting hot controversial topics to which one's self has passionate initial knee-jerk reactions and sticking to fluff in the future, where one's self has at least half a chance of making sense.)

CHEERS!

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

"It'd be much better in the long run if the core players were forced to face one another in man-to-man combat and settle things that way."

Wouldn't that be great? This puts an image in my head of GWB and Osama squaring off in a cage fight. Yeah.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit