Why be afraid of Freedom?

by SickofLies 14 Replies latest jw friends

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

How have you broken free from this fear?

I lived through the fear, and came out alive on the other end.

I believe the fears are the same for anyone leaving the Borg...Loss of family, loss of friends, and fear of god's wrath. Those are the three things that the Borg knows most humans cannot/think they can't function without.

It was hell, but it was worth it in the end.

luv, jojo

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

It seems that the mind weaves an identity out of beliefs; the foundational beliefs often being religious.

What would I be without my Jah, or my Jesus, or my Allah, or whatever. We fear that we would be no body. It would be like death. So lots of denial and self-survival mechanisms kick into high gear that we may sustain our make-believe self.

Here is a great article on this, which has been posted here many times before, and which helps to understand this phenomina.

http://www.csicop.org/si/2000-11/beliefs.html

j

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Andrew Holden's book on Jehovah's Witnesses is an excellent discussion of this very issue. He argues that Jehovah's Witnesses can be viewed as a minority response to "to much freedom in modern society" by those who would prefer to allow a "total system" provide perfect pre-packaged answers for them, rather than having to struggle through complex issues themselves only to arrive at uncertain conclusions. In this regard he references the book "The Fear of Freedom" by Erich Fromm which discusses why such totalitarian worldviews appeal to many people and provide them a sense of security and well-being.

• Serene
    Serene

As some of you know... Im not a witness and never was.... but I'm here and I will toss in my two pennies all the same

But it blows my mind that people wouldn't understand that the very NATURE of the God they are wishing to serve is undercut and handcuffed by much of the Watchtower rhetoric. God is LOVE (its in the Bible) so why would you turn your back on someone who has been "disfellowshipped"? Thats not very loving.

The Bible says to "test all things", to constantly make sure you are still in the faith and to STUDY to show thyself approved. It also says that "Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true."

A very cursory examination of the scriptures would show that many witness beliefs are just not true. If you want to be "of noble character" test the doctrines of the WTS against the scripture........ I mean....if the Bereans tested Paul....why can't you test the WTS?

"I will walk about in freedom, for I have sought out your precepts." Psalms 119

Oh and.... for us newbies and "nons" ...... quick clarification ...but whats a borg and a dub? mmmkayThanks!

• SickofLies
    SickofLies

Glad you stuck around to see what this stuff is all about..

Oh and.... for us newbies and "nons" ...... ;quick clarification ;...but whats a borg and a dub? mmmkayThanks!

dub = A Jehovah's Witness

borg = Brooklyn orginization

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit