Just so you know - and Techies HELP SVP

by Lady Lee 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I'm going off line again for a few days (I hope less but who knows) - or as long as it takes to partition my drives and reinstall all the software, drivers and other programs.

When my computer crashed at the beginning of the month over 2 gigabytes of info was corrupted and lost. To make sure I get rid of all of it (almost none of it is salvagable) I'm going to delete absolutely everything and start fresh.

I have 2 hard drives partitioned into 10 different drives. In the crash even the partitions disappeared. Instead of having 10 drives (total 100 GB of space) I now only have less than half available.

So.... If all goes well I should get it done and be back sooner than it took me to get back the last time.

Wish me well ... cuz I might need it.

• damselfly
    damselfly

Good luck!! We'll miss you. Maybe you should get Ballistic's contact info just in case?

Dams

• Kaput
    Kaput

Hope everything works out, Lady Lee. Were you hacked?

• luna2
    luna2

Hope it goes well, Lady Lee! Hurry back. We'll miss ya!

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Hurry back, Lee! You're creating a huge vaccuum here when you're gone, yanno.

• anewme
    anewme

Goodbye til then m'Lady

• ferret
    ferret

Hi ladylee: If you have trouble see DigitalFokus. Note how he fixed his laptop.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Well I"m back a lot faster than I thought.

I successfully (I think) one drive into 2 parts.

Got a question for the techies.

How do I get WIN XP Pro to boot from the CD?

I think I need to create a boot disk so I can load the drivers for the CD drives. For some reason if I try to boot with the CD in the drive it just can't find the drive. When I try to use the DOS prompts it can't find the CD drives. And yes both CD drives are showing up in the BIOS and in the bootup screens.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    I think I need to create a boot disk so I can load the drivers for the CD drives.

Do you have more than one CD-ROM drive and is one or more a CD burner/DVD player as well? And do you have more than one Hard Drive? If so, it may not be assigning a drive letter beyond E: and your CD-ROM drive may be being skipped.

Are you posting from the problem PC now? If so, what OS is loading for you now? If it is Windows family OS you can load the XP Pro CD after bootup and start the install process. It will go through its process as though it booted from the CD.

If the CD Rom drives aren't showing up in the version of Windows you have loaded, you may have the jumpers that set Master, Slave, or Cable Select incorrectly configured.

Let me know if any of this makes better sense of what you are seeing.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    Do you have more than one CD-ROM drive and is one or more a CD burner/DVD player as well?

One regular CD-ROM drive and one CD-burner

And do you have more than one Hard Drive?

2 physical hard drives - the first (master) is partitioned into 3 logical drives and the 2nd is partitioned into 2 drives

If so, it may not be assigning a drive letter beyond E: and your CD-ROM drive may be being skipped.
    • C:\ D:\ and E:\ are the first hard drive.
    • The burner is registering as F:\ and the CD-ROM is G:\
    • H:\ and I:\ are on the second hard drive

In DOS I tried changing the directories to each of the drive letters and it couldn't find anything except the A:\ drive. Although one time I got to the WINXP drive and read the directory. I tried to use the setup.exe but it said XP would not boot from DOS

Are you posting from the problem PC now? If so, what OS is loading for you now?

OK Yes I am posting from the same PC. I was smart enough to not format both hard drives at the same time so I booted the machine back into XP. Here is where I am confused.

I think the C:\ drive is loaded with WIN98. I initially put this on in the hopes of loading WinME as the upgrade. ME didn't work. So I put on WIN XP Pro and for some really weird reason that I don't understand XP installed on the D:\ drive - I think.

When I boot I am given the choice now to boot in Win98 or XP. I would like to get rid of 98 but only if I can be sure that I can get XP on alone. I want to install it on the C drive (where I think 98 is right now) Is there a way to find out which drive has which OS?

If it is Windows family OS you can load the XP Pro CD after bootup and start the install process. It will go through its process as though it booted from the CD.

So if I boot onto the C drive (where I think WIN98 is) will it delete the WIN 98? I don't mind if it does. I want it to.

Can I make a boot disk for XP andf include the drivers for the CD-ROM? Would that work?

If the CD Rom drives aren't showing up in the version of Windows you have loaded, you may have the jumpers that set Master, Slave, or Cable Select incorrectly configured.

Jumpers seem to be OK. When I go into Explorer it shows all the drives now. I had to fiddle with the jumpers to get the BIOS to see them but they seem to be OK now.

Let me know if any of this makes better sense of what you are seeing.

Yup it makes sense. It sounds like I am doing the right things.

Hmmm I just thought of something. WIN XP Pro has a handy partitioning program. Don't know if you know about this. It formatted the 2 logical drives on the second hard drive as NTFS instead of FAT. So when I was looking for the hard drives from the A:\ it told me they could not access them because of the way they were partitioned. Seems DOS can't read the NTFS formatted drives.

And the other thing I discovered was that WINXP hates DOS and won't load from it.

Well I took my meds and now have to get to bed before I fall over the keyboard.

One more thing. I have a WIN98 boot disk. It has the CD driver. If I put the driver on another disk and tried to boot with just XP do you think it might work?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit