I bought a birthday present today

by merfi 12 Replies latest social family

• merfi
    merfi

My middle kid turns 10 this Wednesday. It will be the first b-day present I've ever bought her.... (gawd, now I'm tearing up)

What I'm needing is a little help easing into actually giving it to her as she's known for the previous 9 years, 364 days that celebrating birthdays are bad, bad bad. I know I've read here that there is a scrip in Job that says something about celebrating a 'day', which I was thinking would help her see that it's "scriptural" in a way (I'm quietly freaking out about all this -- it's quite a huge deal). This is the first inkling that she'll have that my thinking is changing, so I want to do this right. Geez, I'm scared of my own child. LOL

Are there other examples in the Bible? A way to turn the beheading and the other (can't remember) examples back on themselves...? She's a very emotional kid, so all I'd probably have to do is say something like "no man-made organization is going to stop me from telling you that I'm thankful you were born. I'm acknowledging and celebrating your life as my daughter and my gratitude at having the privilege of being your mommy". ETA: She knows that I'm DA and have issues with the elders in the cong. She sees the unkindness and general weirdness in the cong. Also, we haven't ever been a really "spiritually strong" (I need that TM symbol!!) family, so this isn't as HUGE of a thing as it would be if I had been a rabid JW previously.

Ok, with that... any ideas? TIA

~merfi

• Honesty
    Honesty

Luke 2:8-20 In the same region, shepherds were staying out in the fields and keeping watch at night over their flock. Then an angel of the Lord stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, “Don’t be afraid, for look, I proclaim to you good news of great joy that will be for all the people: today a Savior, who is Messiah the Lord, was born for you in the city of David. This will be the sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped snugly in cloth and lying in a manger.” Suddenly there was a multitude of the heavenly host with the angel, praising God and saying:

Glory to God in the highest heaven,

and peace on earth to people He favors!

When the angels had left them and returned to heaven, the shepherds said to one another, “Let’s go straight to Bethlehem and see what has happened, which the Lord has made known to us.”

They hurried off and found both Mary and Joseph, and the baby who was lying in the feeding trough. After seeing [them] , they reported the message they were told about this child, and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them. But Mary was treasuring up all these things in her heart and meditating on them. The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all they had seen and heard, just as they had been told.

Luke 1:57-58 Now the time had come for Elizabeth to give birth, and she had a son. Then her neighbors and relatives heard that the Lord had shown her His great mercy, and they rejoiced with her.

Also read Job 1:1-5

• damselfly
    damselfly

Is she that into the bible? It would almost seem like you were making a bigger deal out of it?

What about starting off by saying that you have such good memories of when she was born and you wanted to show her how you still feel about that day? You don't actually have to say the "b'word" Ease her into it this year and I'm sure by the next you can have a full blown party!

Dams

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

How convienient you only missed my birthday by 4 days quick mail it mail it!

Oh it's for your daughter... Well never mind then! I would just tell her that it's a birthday present and that you were wrong birthdays are good! At 9 how many questions could she have?

• damselfly
    damselfly

I would have been thrilled at 9/10 to be able to have a birthday!! I'm still thrilled at 30.

Dams

• merfi
    merfi
    Is she that into the bible? It would almost seem like you were making a bigger deal out of it?

No she's not, and yes I probably am making a bigger deal than necessray. ;) However, she IS into what "Jehovah" thinks, aka WTS, and the WTS says b-days are a no-no... so... I'm thinking that if *I* take her to the Bible, in effect, over-ruling the WTS...

Ohh, my brain hurts from thinking of the right way to do this. LOL Baby steps...

As suggested, I maybe won't say the 'b' word at all. Dunno. :)

Thanks for you input, guys.

• damselfly
    damselfly

I hope that didn't come across too harsh. I understand that this is hard. I had friends just tell their kids that this was what they once believed but they were wrong. And that God still loved them. The kids are fine as far as I know. They also let the kids decided at their own pace if they wanted to celebrate holidays in school (color the pictures, sing the songs etc)

Dams

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

I'd go with the simple, personal, "I love you, I'm so glad you were born and your my kid, and I just wanted to give you a gift to help me express that" kinda thing. Maybe ask her how she feels about birthdays, gifts, celebrations. Ask why?. Let her express herself. Express how you feel, what you think.

If she needs Bible back-up, the Bible doesn't say not to, I guess.

Here are what some Christian sites say:

http://www.deplicque.net/articles/birthdays.html

http://www.nccg.org/FAQ123-Birthday.html

~Merry

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    say something like "no man-made organization is going to stop me from telling you that I'm thankful you were born. I'm acknowledging and celebrating your life as my daughter and my gratitude at having the privilege of being your mommy".

Perfect, Merfi.......simply perfect.

• Erenora nz
    Erenora nz

SO why cant you give her a present everyday of her life. Why wait until the day she was born????

Why not give it to her now???

what rubbish are you trying to create when you know John the Baptists head's was placed on platter, yes Jonh the Baptist, Jesus' cousin.!!! That's why birthdays should not be celebrated. If you want to celebrate your child's birthday, do so, but you will be doing it on you own. Jehovah's will is much stronger than yours.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit