Question for you RE: Holidays

by peacepipe 22 Replies latest jw friends

• dins
    dins

Peace,

I think Gopher hit it right on the mark when he said the he felt no "emotional attachment" to the holidays.

When you grow up lacking the holidays, even as an adult, the spirit never seems to quite get you. I went through the motions when I was married and celebrated along with everyone else, but it doesn't bother me one way or the other.

Even now, I let my son stay with his father every Christmas because quite frankly, I don't really feel that I NEED to be with him on the holiday as he and his parents do.

Yes, alot of celebrations has pagan origins, but a lot of our every day life things have pagan origins. Despite their reputation, the Pagans have influenced us greatly in many areas..more than the JWs realise or care to admit.

I think with everyone it's a personal issue and there is no set way that we, as ex-Jws, view the celebrations. I think we all just take it one day as it comes.

Good luck in your search for truth.

Dins

• peacepipe
    peacepipe

Thanks to all for your comments:

Silverleaf, that song on "charlotte's web" is off of the movie, I don't know if it is in the book. You have to see it. I love that movie.

Bridgette, Stephanus: I think I said something misleading about the holidays. I Do celebrate them though without much excitement at times because of things that I personally observe, personal experience and just "thoughts" I have about things. I have weird thoughts at times. Actually I will admit I'm weird. I was hoping this was a place I could share these weird thoughts with others who maybe think about those things too. You know, not everyone delves into everything like is done here. People like my spouse could care less. I could never discuss anything I discuss here with him because it just doesn't interest him.

To all & especially Bridgette & Silverleaf who've responded numerous times to my posts thank you for your considerate replys.

And I really have to add a note to Stephanus that I didn't have time for yesterday as I was on my way to having "cheeseburgers in paradise" and here it is: though I was in no way trying to condemn anyone or support anyone and though nowhere in my post did I say I do NOT celebrate holidays and as stated above I was just asking a question and adding some of my own "thoughts", I wanted to THANK-YOU for your enlightening assumption of myself. Maybe now I won't need to pay a psychiatrist. In just reading a few words of mine you've went and summed me up to a tee in just one word. Now that IS amazing! Now . . ."scuse me while I kiss the sky". . . .

• Englishman
    Englishman

Volkswagen = VW = Vee Dub.

Bavarian Motor Works = BMW = Bee Emm Dub

Jehovahs witnesses = JW = Jay Dub = Dub.

Englishman.

..... fanaticism masquerading beneath a cloak of reasoned logic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit