Lock the parking lot gate after the meeting starts?

by MinisterAmos 10 Replies latest jw friends

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

Quick synopsis...The local Spanish congo is the only one in about a 40 mile radius. Most of the members live nearby, but the ones in the outskirts have up to a 1 hour trip depending on beach traffic. Recently the wife and I noticed that the Hall's parking lot had been secured by a wall and electric gates added to all three exits and entrances.

We thought this to be a bit excessive since none of the neighbors ever parked in the Hall, and there were no issues with crime.

So it turns out that the reason for this was that "many" (not more than two or three at maximum) brothers would arrive late to the meetings. Now, the gates open one hour in advance of the meeting, and they are locked five minutes before start meaning that late arrivals are well, locked-out.

Talk about treating adults like children!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy
    Another reason not to go.
  • dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused
    Good. Let the "friends" see the "warm christian love."
  • dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Its a shaming method. The cong i was in here in Colorado would block off the last 2-3 rows for all the ones who showed up late. The problem was, the hall was full of babies and they responsible ones got there early to sit in the back so as not to disrupt the meeting with getting up with the little ones. It quickly backfired on them because all the babies were fussing from near the front. It only lasted 2-3 weeks. Its funny, treat the late ones like they are babies or worse yet... df'd.

And 5 before it started?! Not 5 after? wow

• cofty
    cofty

That is disgraceful!

The way they treat you like children was very obvious to me once I woke up. I REALLY resented it.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    Great, lock me out. Terrifies me that they feel the need to lock everyone else IN. That seems like some sort of fire or safety code violation. . . anyone check into the safety aspects of such an act? It seems kind of nasty-and I am not for one minute worried about the latecomers. The more of the general public that is protected from the cult, the better.
  • flipper
    flipper

Good thread Minister Amos. The quote, " the ( gates ) are locked five minutes before the start ( of meetings ) meaning that late arrivals are well, locked out . "

" Talk about treating adults like children " !

Translation : Talk about treating adults like cult members. If it walks and quacks like a duck- it IS a duck

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Could it be that they are doing that for security even if it's a low crime area? I know of cars having been vandalized at a Kingdom Hall parking lot, in a good neighborhood, and they had someone outside the meeting to guard it.

Or maybe they're afraid that one of us evil demons will try to spread our mental disease by placing pamphlets on their cars?

• hoser
    hoser
    We have a nearby hall that started doing this. The result is that people who were running late because of work or other obligations on Wednesday night stopped attending those meetings.
  • MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos
    Village Idiot My wife and I discussed this and that was the first thing she came up with (being ever the JW white-knighter).

My take on this is that since the wall surrounding the property is only about 2-3 feet tall, with a six foot metal gate blocking the entrances, that security is not the issue. The property already has an alarm system (which is monitored by a Brother owned Company) and cameras. Crime in the area is just about non-existent. Good thinking though!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit