hello there

by koko1 11 Replies latest jw friends

• koko1
    koko1

Hi, Just wanted to pop my head in and say hi. I was brought up a JW - never believed in the religion or God for that matter. No matter how many people tried to convince me. Luckily never got baptised. Left when I was 16/17. My parents weren't too strict and let me question things. Dad didn't really believe in it - he would always make excuses not to go or fall asleep at the meetings - LOL. He's no longer one either; he's probably dis-fellowshiped not sure? If not, he should be ;) My mums still one and I really get along well with her. I think the JW works for her, so I am happy for her. Would kind of find it bizarre if she wasn't one, because it would mean she lost faith in God (which would be kind of sad). I admire people that have faith in a higher being. I struggled for many years with the fact that I could not fathom the concept of God - I thought something was wrong with me and made me very depressed. I think there a lot of lovely JW and most of them are sincere, but I also think there is a lot of screwed up people in that religion - especially in high authority. There are a lot of power trippers in the JW. The final straw for me is when; they said they were approaching bible studies in a new way. Basically saying if you weren’t baptised by a certain time-frame then don't bother with them. I thought "how dare they put a time frame on finding God". Every single one of my friends in the truth "fell out" or was "disfellowshiped". I'm much happier now that I'm not one and I'm content with not believing in a higher being. I think the being a JW, still has some effect on me today. Little things, like taking risks, being confident, trusting people, relationships etc Well there's heaps more, but that’s all I can think of at the moment.

• luna2
    luna2

Nice to meet you, koko. Welcome to JWD!

• Legolas
    Legolas

Welcome to the board!

You are right ...there are alot of nice/good people that are JW's, too bad they are being duped and wasting or for some ruining their lives!

• koko1
    koko1

lol - so true. My mum must be one of those wasting her time!

• xjwms
    xjwms

Hello and welcome

new ones keep coming.................

• anewme
    anewme

Welcome Koko! You sound like a well adjusted person to me.

Anewme

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Welcome koko1,

• koko1
    koko1

yeah I'm pretty adjusted, but feel I am too much of a goody goody. I'm telling you I am more well behaved than most witnesses- apart from the swearing ;)

• koko1
    koko1

I'm also lucky because I'm still friends with some of the people I grew-up with in the JW's. It's really helpful, as most of your outside friends don't have an understanding I what we went through.

• ferret
    ferret

Welcome koko1. there are a lot of nice people in all religions and atheism. Keep in touch with the JWD.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit