Life Outside the Witnesses

by jgnat 28 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

A newbie poster reminded me that JW's considering an exit may not be fully informed of their choices. What is life like on the outside, and is such a life worth following?

I'll post a summary of my lifestyle and choices in a minute, but I thought I'd at least get the thread started. Feel free to use any of these questions as a starting point.

1. What makes you happy now?
    2. In a typical week, what kind of community or social interactions do you engage in, and what percentage of your time does it take?
    3. Did your financial situation degrade or improve after leaving the society?
    4. If you are single, what qualities do you look for in a date?
    5. If you have a partner, what are the most important principles you try and bring in to the relationship?
    6. If you have a family, what are the most important principles you try and instill in your children, as their parent?
    7. What guides do you use for your personal moral compass, if any? (It could be a book, concept, religion or quote)
  • ferret
    ferret
    What makes you happy now?

peace of mind and freedom of choice.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Me first. OOPS, me second.

I was never a JW, I married one instead. My perspective might be sligtly different than some of yours. I count my religious life as having started twenty-six years ago, when I literally ran in to the arms of God, escaping an abusive marriage. I would mark my Christian walk as being grateful and regularly re-examined. I feel God will not leave me alone in my delusion, but regularly challenges me to greater love, greater compassion, integrity maintained. As soon as I sit on my laurels, God challenges me again to grow in wisdom and understanding.

Though there's plenty of lip service to Christian maturity both in the evangelical church and with the Witnesses, in my experience people don't. Usually new converts have an early blush of zeal followed by years of rigid thinking, often falling in to their old habits shortly after baptism. This seems to fly in the face of Paul's concept of the "new man". For some reason I have never been able to get away with such shallowness.

So what gives me joy these days? Watching my granddaughter grow up. She is the fruit of two generations of loving parents, and she is a treasure. I would say love, growth, renewal, and family are the themes that inspire me these days. I like to garden for the same reason. I feel like the creator in the miniature, making my world more beautiful.

I probably spend more time on my friendships and my community than most folks. At least that's what showed up when I and my supervisors did a "pie chart" of our normal week. I typically spend two hours or more with my friends and my community church every week. My pastor has the concept that people should pick an assignment that matches their native ability and passion. So, though I am talented in many things, my assignment is what gives me joy. I spend several hours a month with my Sunday School class of five year olds. I love each and every one of them, and I celebrate their achievements with heavenly joy. My time with them is a highlight of my month.

Now, financially, I am likely far better off than if I were a Witness. My beliefs do not prohibit me from enjoying my work. My income surpasses my JW husband's many times over, and I have built up over twenty year's seniority with my company. I feel no guilt for doing well financially as a result of my hard work. He is holding out for an entry level job that will not interfere with meeting nights.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Very true, ferret. I see that with a lot of ex-JW's.

• jgnat
    jgnat

bttt

I know I started this early in the morning, Western Canada time, and rather late in the evening Aussie time...so maybe you weren't all awake for this question....

• Cabin in the woods
    Cabin in the woods

I always look forward to reading your posts as they are so thought provoking and so reasonable.

I am going to give some thought to these questions and try to make some sense of my own feelings and then post a reply later on.

Thanks,

Mary

• jgnat
    jgnat

Thank you, Mary. It is always good to pause and reflect once in a while. It helps remind us how far we've come, and where we'd like to be.

• damselfly
    damselfly

Did your financial situation degrade or improve after leaving the society?

Improved. Instead of working full time at a minimum wage job, I work part time while going to school and still make over double what my income used to be. Once I have graduated from my next program my income should double yet again.

If you are single, what qualities do you look for in a date?

I haven't been single since I was 17 so

If you have a partner, what are the most important principles you try and bring in to the relationship?

Trust and honesty

What guides do you use for your personal moral compass, if any?

Would I want this to be done or said to me? Really that's it.

Dams

• jgnat
    jgnat

Sounds like the golden rule, damselfly. Not bad, not bad....

If I told you how many dates I've been on in my life, you'd be shocked.

• jgnat
    jgnat

bttt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit