Anyone ever read "Young Goodman Brown?"

by hartstrings 3 Replies latest jw friends

• hartstrings
    hartstrings

In my college English Comp class I just wrote up a short reaction to the story "Young Goodman Brown". It amazed me because I could completely relate to what he faced in the story. It really applies to any JW who has the courage to face the reality of what the religion values. Here is an excerpt from my reaction:

"Goodman Brown symbolizes the pivotal point in a person’s life; a point I can relate to. Brown is forced to take his head out of the sand and take a realistic look at what his religion represented. His Puritanical upbringing and all its baggage had intertwined itself into his being. He, for whatever reason (maybe marriage), had come to the point in his life that he was no longer able to put off the nagging feeling in his psyche. I know that feeling; it emerged in me after the birth of my two daughters. It feels like it originates in the deepest part of your gut. It brings a lump to your throat. It is the feeling of inevitability. Brown takes a mental journey that allows him to accept what his mind his shoved deep within him. He comes face-to-face with the implications of being a Puritan. What he sees is not pretty. The innocence that he clung to for so long is swept away as he is forced to remove the facades of his Puritan faith. He is left feeling empty, bitter, and betrayed. This is where my path differs from Brown’s. Brown, because of his newfound knowledge, becomes “A stern, a sad, a darkly meditative, a distrustful, if not desperate man”. Now I certainly do understand why he became this way. This was the only choice in life. You could not come to the point of realization and decide, “oh, I think I will become an atheist now” if you wanted to stay alive during that time period. So who is to say that, living in our modern time, Brown would not have stepped away from the lies and deception and carved a new path for himself? This path might have afforded him a new lease on life free from the burden of his knowledge - sweet release from the shackles of hypocrisy."

HS

• hartstrings
    hartstrings

bttt....I hear crickets

• anewme
    anewme

Hartstrings, dont worry, some days are slow here. Lots of people throughout time have come up against the very same intolerance as we have. Pockets of religious control groups have plagued people since the beginning. And the peer pressure in the olden days was much worse than it is today where we can just pick up and move to another town or city. This was much harder to do in the old days where you were stuck in a town or village and the nearest one was miles and miles and miles away and the only livelihood you had was in your own small minded Puritanical town. Who was it who wrote the Scarlett Letter? Nathaniel Hawthorne?
    He wrote about the meanness and small heartedness of Puritan life here in the colonies in the 1600s.
    Even Ben Franklin wrote about religion and avoided it throughout most of his life though he did believe in a creator. Mark Twain also had alot of funny things to say about religion. I'll bet observers have been taking note of religious hypocricy and its enslavement over others since the first men and women walked the earth.
    The whole western movement from Europe and then on to the west coast was encouraged by the love for freedom such as you describe.

My new friend is the town library where the whole world and all its history is there for anyone so wishing to learn about it!

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

No.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit