Will many prayers work better than just one prayer?

by JH 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Gumby,

You're right that in the OT it often takes only one individual to be heard, but not any individual: the king, priest, prophet, "man of (the) god(s)," or the "righteous one" is supposed to be heard and be able to pray on behalf of others (intercession). As a result collective requests are rather trusted to the "right" person than directly expressed by a lot of people. After all "praying in Jesus' name" may be construed as a vestige of this ancient perspective in Christianity.

• gumby
    gumby
    but not any individual

Job didn't hold a position did he? He wasn't a king, priest, or prophet.

Gumby

• Odrade
    Odrade

he had lots of money and livestock...

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

The last time I prayed, the jw's came knocking the next day, and df'd me, so praying does work!

• Poodles
    Poodles

I believe that any God prefers that those who pray ask for things for other people instead for themselves!! No one likes a selfish person!!

Poodles/Paula

• JH
    JH

I already prayed so hard, that I was yelling at God and angry at him

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Job was the righteous one (no one like him on the earth, 1:1,8, etc.):

After the LORD had spoken these words to Job, the LORD said to Eliphaz the Temanite: "My wrath is kindled against you and against your two friends; for you have not spoken of me what is right, as my servant Job has. Now therefore take seven bulls and seven rams, and go to my servant Job, and offer up for yourselves a burnt offering; and my servant Job shall pray for you, for I will accept his prayer not to deal with you according to your folly; for you have not spoken of me what is right, as my servant Job has done." So Eliphaz the Temanite and Bildad the Shuhite and Zophar the Naamathite went and did what the LORD had told them; and the LORD accepted Job's prayer.

Btw the transferral of intercession power from the professional (priest, prophet) to the lay (even, in the case of Job, non-Israelite) person on account of his religious-ethical merits is doubtless a comparatively late development.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

"I've begun worshipping the sun for a number of reasons. First of all, unlike some other gods I could mention, I can see the sun. It's there for me every day. And the things it brings me are quite apparent all the time: heat, light, food, a lovely day. There's no mystery, no one asks for money, I don't have to dress up, and there's no boring pageantry. And interestingly enough, I have found that the prayers I offer to the sun and the prayers I formerly offered to God are all answered at about the same 50-percent rate." - George Carlin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit