What is Jehovah's Witness?

by project 15 Replies latest jw friends

• project
    project

Hello.

I'm doing a religion project for a subject and I chose "Jehovah's Witness" as my topic.

I have no clue what this religion is about and I would really appreciate it if many people could answer some of my questions on this religion. Please could you reply as this project is due for 23rd of March.

1) What is Jehovah's Witness?

2) What's the difference between Jehovah's Witness and Christianity?

3) what is the sacred book used for Jehovah's Witness?

Can you please answer these questions as accurately and informatively as you can?

Thank you. I really appreciate your participation.

• JH
    JH

Welcome project

Jehovah,s Witness is a high control religion to start with.

I'll let others add to this.

• carla
    carla

They protect pedophiles, see Silentlambs.org.

To look into cult research see Margaret Singer or Robert Lifton. The jw's are a dangerous cult that destoys families.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Strictly speaking it is a person baptized by the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society who engages in the Jehovah's witness preaching work. They MUST also follow all directions from their govering body which is a group of men in New York who make all administrative and doctrinal descisions for witnesses.

Christians generally worship and pray to Jesus. The witnesses do not. To witnesses Jehovah is the god of the bible and Jesus is a high ranking, created angel. They do not believe in the deity of Christ. They do believe in the ransom sacrifice but not in the traditional sense.

A bi monthy periodical called the watchtower magazine. They claim to use the bible as the basis for all of their teachings.

Other thoughts, they are a high control group who practice all of the things you would expect in a cult or other high control group.

• greendawn
    greendawn

The JWs are ostensibly a Christian religion but in fact they have many strange beliefs that set them apart from Christianity eg virtually all of them refuse to become part of the New Covenent of Christ, and to call Jesus Lord. Their worship is centred about jehovah and they have a very works rather than grace centred mentality.

They are a high control high pressure group, any member criticising their dogmas will be quickly expelled without any explanations as to why they (the JWs) consider the dissenters ideas to be wrong.

• jgnat
    jgnat

You will get higher marks if you say, "Who are the Jehovah's Witnesses?" or, "What is the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society?" The following link is how the Jehovah's Witnesses describe themselves: http://www.jw-media.org/beliefs/index.htm

All orthodox Christian groups follow some form of the Nicene Creed. The Jehovah's Witnesses have rejected this creed, claiming the Trinity doctrine is a pagan insertion in to Christendom. So by definition, the Jehovah's Witnesses are not orthodox Christians. They themselves, however, claim to be the only True Christians, upholding the holy name of Jehovah as the true name of God. Here's a handy comparison chart. I found it by doing a google search using the keywords "comparison chart Jehovah's Witness doctrine". As a budding student, you will find that google is your best friend. http://www.contenderministries.org/jehovahswitnesses/comparison.php

The Watchtower magazine, published and studied worldwide every week. They have also produced their own bible translation, The New World Translation. http://www.reexamine.org/index.php/Watchtower_-_2006 http://www.watchtower.org/bible/index.htm

Can you please answer these questions as accurately and informatively as you can?

You are welcome. Can you post a creative e-card here, at least, for all my hard work? Remember, plagarism is illegal so you should paraphrase your findings in your own words. Use spell check and grammar check.

• Celia
    Celia
    Please could you reply as this project is due for 23rd of March.

LOL ! About time to start your project, me think....

Years ago, I wrote a paper on the same subject. Doing the research was fun and eye opening.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

(1) A Jehovah's Witness is someone who upholds Jehovah as God Almighty.

(2) Jehovah's Witnesses believe there are certain things a person must do to gain and maintain God's approval. But none of these includes developing a personal relationship with their savior Jesus Christ. They are not even permitted to pray to Jesus. In contrast, Christians feel the MOST important thing is to have a close personal relationship with their Lord, savior, and High Priest Jesus Christ and that anything apart from that relationship, or done from another desire is a dead work.

(3) Jehovah's Witnesses claim the answer is the Bible, but every year they devote far more hours to reading WTS publications (such as Watchtower and Awake!) than to studying the Bible. Therefore, from personal observation for many years I can state unequivocally that the answer is—they do not have a sacred book, they have hundreds and thousands of sacred books, the contents of which may change at a whim and with which they must always agree in order to remain Jehovah's Witnesses.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• Quotes
    Quotes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah%27s_witnesses

At that link, be sure not to miss the excellent chart "History of Eschatological Doctrine" which nicely summarizes the shifts and changes of their "bible based" beliefs down through the last century.

Also, check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah%27s_Witnesses:_Controversial_Issues.

~Q

• garybuss
    garybuss

Jehovah's Witnesses is name for the distribution division of a book publishing corporation. It's only a religion for tax purposes. It's structure looks like a multi level marketing corporation. It's hierarchy is Fascist. It's outlook is long term. It's primary business is books exchanged for cash donations. It's other two businesses are event sponsoring and real estate development and speculation.

Jehovah's Witnesses and their parent corporation look more like a political party than a religion. They are not Christian, they are a book printing business promoting a one world government run by them.

Pay Attention To Yourselves And To The Flock (book and margin notes).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit