Intelligence - is it over-rated?

by gumby 21 Replies latest jw friends

• gumby
    gumby

This is a thread that was inspired by Narkisso's ( but he don't know it yet).

He made this comment at the end of a thread..."Is intelligence over-estimated or over-rated"?

How do you feel? How much does intelligence tell about a person?

Gumby

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

It tells me abou 40% of a person. Looks tell me about 20% and 40% you can only know in time - integrity, honesty etc.

• Jourles
    Jourles

I can get past most individual's lack of intelligence. I just chalk it up to a poor upbringing, severe lack of schooling, parents not teaching them while growing up, etc, etc. The thing I have a problem with is -- not having any common sense.

Everyone can be smart in a particular subject. Everyone is good at something that someone else isn't good at. Back in high school, I sucked at algebra(probably due to my always drunk teacher), but geometry was so easy to me. Fellow jw classmates were the exact opposite. They excelled in algebra, but sucked really bad in geometry. These days, all forms of math comes easily to me now. Lack of intelligence in my early years? I don't know. I think it has a lot to do with how you are raised though. Having it ingrained into your head 24/7 that the end is just around the corner doesn't help you want to succeed(materially, educationally) in life. I'm making up for it now in my older years. "It's my way of sticking it to the man."

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

LOL. It started from a very specific situation which I won't recall here.

Actually it was a purely formal question but not entirely devoid of interest (perhaps).

When someone who is notoriously "intelligent" acts silly, you can construe it either as "s/he is not as intelligent as I thought" or as "intelligence is not everything" -- depending on your definition of intelligence.

• daystar
    daystar
    ..."Is intelligence over-estimated or over-rated"?

Often, both...

I expect a certain level of intelligence in people I hang out with. However, that is not a judgement that ascertains a person's worth. I've been known to befriend people who are otherwise considered rather un-intelligent by some people I know, because they have other qualities I like. However, the friendship is limited since we don't likely have much to talk about.

I've heard it said that the average person talks about people, the smart person about events, the genius about ideas... I get very bored talking about people after a while.

That being said, without developing the intuitive side of a person, just the intellectual, a person becomes out of balance.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

in this world as it stands yes intelligence is overrated what counts most to people is Balls and determination. its kinda like the story at ecclesiates 9:13-16

• anewme
    anewme

Intelligence like good looks is initially so attractive. But like good looks, the attraction wears off quick if the person is also selfish, rude and arrogant.

I think a very balanced blend of humility, kindness and intelligence is the best. Throw in good looks and you have hey my husband!

• james_woods
    james_woods

The great mathematician Kurt Godel made math theory which stand as prominently as Einstein's physics works. In fact, the two were both escapees from the Nazis, and were great friends here in the US as senior professors at a northeastern university.

For most of his life, Godel suffered from a severe form of paranoid dementia. Among other things, he was convinced that someone was constantly trying to poison his food. He was only kept alive by his female companion - an exotic dancer from Vienna, Austria - who was about 10 years older. She would patiently tell him the food was OK, taste it, and feed him like a 2 year old. He was denied tenure at his university because he complained to the Deans that "poison gasses" were coming out of his refrigerator. When Adelle died, Einstein himself took over the job of keeping Kurt straightened out enough to stay alive. He literally starved himself to death after Einstein died because there was no one left he trusted enough to let them help him.

Super-high intelligence may be a great and necessary thing for society, but a lot of these people have as bad or worse issues than the average person.

Note - this is not the same guy as Doug Nash (the statistician they made that move "A Beautiful Mind" about) - allthough Doug is another example.

James

P.S. - when I was a bachelor, I really did have poison gasses coming from my refrigerator from time to time. And no exotic dancer girl or Nobel Prize winner to help me with them - so maybe the guy wasn't all that dumb after all!

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Hard to say how much intelligence or lack of says about someone. You really need to 'experience' the whole personality.

Also, a person could have all the intelligence in the world - but still not use it!!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

A good teacher will do wonders for ones love of learning - that can help so much in life

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit