Misquoting Jesus

by SickofLies 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Maybe the Geenie is simply out of the bottle.

• Debar
    Debar

"Assuming you go with the NWT that is, which is probably the worst translation out there. I'm sorry, but I strongly disagree with your analysis"

What do you disagree with in my anaylsis? Who mentioned NWT? And why are you so angry?

Isn't it possible that Jehovah did just this "safe guarded is orginal Word in the scriptures thru the original languages"? Have you ever been in the vatican basement and studied the original scriptures or are you just madder than all get out at something or somebody else and have used God's Word as your target?

Do you have faith in God as being true but every man a liar?

Blessings anyhow,

Debar

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    Isn't it possible that Jehovah did just this "safe guarded is orginal Word in the scriptures thru the original languages"?

Possible or not, the fact is that it did not happen: just have a look at any critical edition of the original texts showing just the main variants actually found in ancient manuscripts.

Moreover, to whom would God have "safeguarded his original Word"? To the early Greek-speaking Christians who used the Greek Septuagint (as the Greek orthodox still do)? To the Latin middle-ages Western Christians who used Jerome's Vulgate, choosing the so-called "hebraica veritas" ("Hebrew Truth") against the Septuagint OT, and Western variants of the NT? To the Protestants from the 16th century on, who relied on Erasmus / Stephanus' textus receptus of the NT (as in the KJV)? Or to the vast majority of Western Christians who based the new 19th to 21th century translation on critical texts taking into account older manuscripts? If we want to read divine providence into the history of the Bible, we must conclude that God wanted not just one but a lot of "Bibles".

• myelaine
    myelaine

removed my comment... I'll come back when I can play nicely

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Oh but Narkissos, you forget: That was all because of the "great apostasy". But then Jehovah god, thru his love for his people, the only ones that use his name (), restored the truth of the original manuscripts, by the blessings of his active force, the holy spirit, on the faithful and pisscrete slave...he even told us that his divine name, Jehobah, was in the originals of the greek scriptures, which the apostates of christendom, the scarlet-coloured harlot, removed from the Bible, all part of a conspiracy, not even a single greek original with his beloved name did they leave intact... But we put Jehobahs name back in the Bible.

• Debar
    Debar

Mar 5:41 And he took the damsel by the hand, and said unto her, Talitha cumi; which is, being interpreted, Damsel, I say unto thee, arise. Jhn 5:2 Now there is at Jerusalem by the sheep [market] a pool, which is called in the Hebrew tongue Bethesda, having five porches.

Act 21:40 And when he had given him licence, Paul stood on the stairs, and beckoned with the hand unto the people. And when there was made a great silence, he spake unto [them] in the Hebrew tongue, saying,
    Act 22:2 (And when they heard that he spake in the Hebrew tongue to them, they kept the more silence: and he saith,)
    Act 26:14 And when we were all fallen to the earth, I heard a voice speaking unto me, and saying in the Hebrew tongue, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? [it is] hard for thee to kick against the pricks.
    Rev 9:11 And they had a king over them, [which is] the angel of the bottomless pit, whose name in the Hebrew tongue [is] Abaddon, but in the Greek tongue hath [his] name Apollyon.
    Rev 16:16 And he gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon. Either Jehovah speaks to you or He does not. If He does not you will die in your sins. Blessings and peace, Debar
  • Hellrider
    Hellrider

Sorry, I don`t speak hebrew.-

• Sa2ne
  • Narkissos
    Narkissos

Debar,

And your point is...?

In case you don't know, all the NT is written in Greek, including the passages you quote, apart from occasional foreign words which are transliterated into Greek letters. This is the case of talitha cumi, which is Aramaic, not Hebrew (btw, the older manuscripts have talitha cum, which is a masculine address -- perhaps the vestige of an older story which was about a boy rather than a girl).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit